DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with drifting

keith00

Reactions
I think my Mavic is drifting too much. When it hovers it drifts, when I stop forward motion it drifts to the right several feet, and when I stop side motion it drifts upward up to a foot.

I've calibrated the IMU, the compass, the gimbal, and the vision sensors. I've changed the firmware from .600 to .700 and back to .400, but I get the same results.

Here is a video showing the drifting. After each move to the left or right, but especially to the left, you'll see the Mavic drifting upwards and then drifting downwards. You'll also notice it drifting some while it's hovering. I think I only changed the height of the Mavic once or twice around the 1:10 and 1:40 marks when I tried to raise it a little to make sure the problem wasn't being cause by being too close to the ground.

Looking at the video, it also looks like the video isn't straight.

Here's the video:

Does anyone else see the problem and have any ideas about what's causing it?

Thanks.

Keith

Last edited:
do a remote controller calibration, its probably a faulty stick on remote, but I could be wrong, it's worth a check.

for the camera, you need to adjust the tilting manually if gimbal calibration wont cut it.

sorry for my bad English

It does when you fly above the height of the fence or only when you fly at low altitude!?!?

Thanks, everyone. I've calibrated the controller twice today, but it's still having the same problem. I've also looked at the propellers, and they look fine. I haven't had any crashes (knock on wood). The faster I move, the more dramatic the drift is. Today I tried Sport mode...when I stopped forward movement, it drifted several feet to the right, and when I stopped backward movement, it drifted several feet to the left. And when it's just hovering, it drifts pretty substantially, I think. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks, everyone. I've calibrated the controller twice today, but it's still having the same problem. I've also looked at the propellers, and they look fine. I haven't had any crashes (knock on wood). The faster I move, the more dramatic the drift is. Today I tried Sport mode...when I stopped forward movement, it drifted several feet to the right, and when I stopped backward movement, it drifted several feet to the left. And when it's just hovering, it drifts pretty substantially, I think. I don't know what else to do.

When I had the 600 fw, my Mavic was extremely solid and experienced zero drifting. It had gimbal horizon issues (unresolved by calibration etc).

When I downgraded to the 550 fw, the gimbal issues went away, but it started drifting instead. Which fw are you on?

Well, I think you guys are right and it's a problem with the RC calibration. Unfortunately, I think I have another faulty RC.

Based on advice here, I checked the RC calibration and, sure enough, the right stick was off center. So I calibrated it and went flying yesterday. But it was still drifting. It was windy, though, so I wasn't sure if the drift was from the wind. So I came back home and checked the calibration, and it was off center again. So I calibrated it again and went flying this morning.

With absolutely no wind and about 50 feet off the ground, it was still drifting. So I landed and checked the RC calibration, and this is what I saw:

IMG_2238.PNG

So I calibrated it again:

IMG_2239.PNG

And then, without doing anything else, I immediately checked the calibration again, and this is what I see:

IMG_2240.PNG

So, what do you think? Do I need to send the RC back?

This is my second RC...the right stick went completely dead on the first one. I'm sure this one has been bad from day one, but I've been so focused on learning to fly better, that I've just now started paying attention to the video.

Well, I think you guys are right and it's a problem with the RC calibration. Unfortunately, I think I have another faulty RC.

Based on advice here, I checked the RC calibration and, sure enough, the right stick was off center. So I calibrated it and went flying yesterday. But it was still drifting. It was windy, though, so I wasn't sure if the drift was from the wind. So I came back home and checked the calibration, and it was off center again. So I calibrated it again and went flying this morning.

With absolutely no wind and about 50 feet off the ground, it was still drifting. So I landed and checked the RC calibration, and this is what I saw:

View attachment 12801

So I calibrated it again:

View attachment 12802

And then, without doing anything else, I immediately checked the calibration again, and this is what I see:

View attachment 12803

So, what do you think? Do I need to send the RC back?

This is my second RC...the right stick went completely dead on the first one. I'm sure this one has been bad from day one, but I've been so focused on learning to fly better, that I've just now started paying attention to the video.

Doubt it. I think the app is a little buggy. Mine does that exact same thing. No issues with drifting.

Recalibrate your IMU and Compass. Also check the props. If one is bent or cracked or loose if it doesn't fall off you will get drift.

if you want to check the faulty rc, check through the flight log, and display the virtual rc usage. if there's movment on the stick even when you didn't touch it you might have a faulty stick usually the right stick can cause drifting and the left stick cause spining.

Reactions: ralliart12
I think my Mavic is drifting too much. When it hovers it drifts, when I stop forward motion it drifts to the right several feet, and when I stop side motion it drifts upward up to a foot.

I've calibrated the IMU, the compass, the gimbal, and the vision sensors. I've changed the firmware from .600 to .700 and back to .400, but I get the same results.

Here is a video showing the drifting. After each move to the left or right, but especially to the left, you'll see the Mavic drifting upwards and then drifting downwards. You'll also notice it drifting some while it's hovering. I think I only changed the height of the Mavic once or twice around the 1:10 and 1:40 marks when I tried to raise it a little to make sure the problem wasn't being cause by being too close to the ground.

Here's the video:

And here's the flight log:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Thanks.

Keith

Here's the video:

And here's the flight log:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Thanks.

Keith
Truthfully, it doesn't look that bad. It doesn't seem out of the norm for close video. Maybe take a video of the Mavic hovering relative to a reference point. The little bit I saw in the video taken by the Mavic would not be noticeable at higher altitiudes.

How about this from yesterday...watch the trees on the left for an easy reference. I am not giving any stick input and there was little or no wind.

It looks like it was the propellers. I changed just the back two propellers and now it's rock solid. I don't know what could have been wrong with them, though. Do others take off the props when folding the Mavic, or do you leave them on? I wondered if something happened to them while folded.

It looks like it was the propellers. I changed just the back two propellers and now it's rock solid. I don't know what could have been wrong with them, though. Do others take off the props when folding the Mavic, or do you leave them on? I wondered if something happened to them while folded.
Very cool! Why don't you edit your first comment to include the solution so folks can find it easily. The GPS and IMU should compensate for the bad propellers but any solution is a good solution.

Reactions: BangkokFlyBoy
Good thread- I'm having the same issue out of the blue with drifting and a bit of altitude variance when hovering and no commands to the sticks. Gonna try the props and see if that helps.
Fingers crossed!!

very interesting, was there anything noticeable on the propellers?

If your run your finger along the blade of the ones you removed and the new ones does anything stand out.?

very interesting, was there anything noticeable on the propellers?

If your run your finger along the blade of the ones you removed and the new ones does anything stand out.?

They were a little worn- they are the original blades from about a year ago. I did replace and lifted off about 5-6 feet off the ground and it appeared to hold its GPS much better. I'll give it another go and see how they respond.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost