DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with soft image corner, DJI says it is a firmware issue??

Xcel

Reactions
Greetings people!

I have an issue with my new MP, the lower right corner is very soft in images and it is also noticable in 4k video. DJI EU technical support told me they are aware of the issue and say it is a firmware issue.

I was like what? how can this be a potential firmware issue, it clearly looks like a misaligned lens to me. I have read about a similar issue but I couldn't find now, that's why I started a new thread. I would appreciate some feedback from you guys.

The weather here has been grey and I haven't tested in bright sunlight but this is a pretty clear HW issue in my opinion. I'm thinking about just sending it back to the store where I bought it from in Finland and let them deal with it, if DJI keeps on insisting that it's a firmware issue.

Full size dropbox images here, untouched:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32231899/DJI/DJI_0008.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32231899/DJI/DJI_0016.jpg

Have you updated to latest firmware? Then it's not a firmware issue :). Or, are they saying it's a known issue that will be fixed in a yet to be released firmware?

Yep, the firmware is up to date. I know I have seen the same issue before, I just can't seem to find the thread now. Might have been on another forum as well, can't remember. It just seems strange this isolated issue could be fixed via a firmware update.

I sent DJI support the images above and this is how they replied.

e-mail said:
Thank you for contacting DJI.

We understand how frustrating this situation can be and we apologize for the inconvenience.
This has been a known issue with the Mavic and we have actually been working on releasing
a new firmware to fix this camera issue.

We apologize again for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Kent
DJI NL Technical Support

Reactions: rfc0001
A camera reset from the app has been known to help with this but don't get your hopes up.
DJI will also suggest using the Assistant tool to refresh the firmware - worth trying.

There have been many cases where the soft area has mysteriously been improved - there is definitely something can go wrong with the image processing.
- It's not certain to be a hardware issue (but could be!)

I had the same with the lower left. DJI took it back as DOA, new one is due to arrive Thursday. Hope it's better.

But I agree, it can't be software.

Here's DJI's reply
e-mail said:
Thank you for contacting DJI.

We apologize for the confusion. The image issues on the left hand side of the Mavic camera
is a known reported issue and we have been informed that a firmware is to be released which
will rectify the fault.

However, since you have better visibility of the fault and you believe that this is an issue with
the manufacturing of the camera, we can go ahead and send it in for analysis and repair to our
repair center.

Regards,

Kent
DJI NL Technical Support

I'm just afraid the new firmware would provide something like artificial sharpening of the affected area. Having a photography background myself and having dealt with lenses before, I'm just super skeptical about a firmware update for this particular problem. If I focus the camera on the bottom right hand corner then the left side is out of focus. I don't see how it can be anything but a physical misalignment of the lens. I'm going to go ahead and send it in.

Thanks everyone for chiming in :)

That's pretty bad. My original Mavic had something similar - though not quite as extreme.

It went back for gimbal issues and DJI sent a new ( or refurbished ) replacement. That had none of the right side/corner issues the original had.

This is not a firmware issue - its a lens issue. No software is going to fix that.

To get a better perspective on this issue what is needed is a standard. If people would take their images (photos only) into Lightroom or a similar program and look at say 1:1 and then compare them then you could get some useful information. I don't doubt that many are just doing a finger zoom and who knows what the zoom level is.

It's really not fair to expect a 12mp image to be crystal clear at 4:1.

My MP is currently understanding DOA replacement / repair for this exact issue. Support never mentioned anything to me about a firmware update or fix. Hopefully I will have it back in a week or so.

This you video on YouTube of the focus issues I had. Only the centre third of the screen is properly focused in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Mine has the same lower right fault, spoke to DJI support today and its going back for diagnosis and repair. Just awaiting the DHL return label.

Returned mine and got another based on this same issue.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

Was the replacement any better? , A few people I have seen say it still had the soft focus fault of the 1st one.

I suffered from the same issue since day one. I have a label waiting to return my Mavic. I did a camera reset and after that I had some sharp corner to corner footage. But after that I went bad again. Since the latest 0.400 firmware I have done a few flights in different conditions and so far the images look sharp and the right hand side blur is gone. I keep testing and flying to see if it stays fine. My fear is that one day it will be blurry again. Problem is that when it is sometimes bad and next time good, its hard to prove. I've kept some samples to prove my point when sending the Mavic back. Until now I'm happy with the results but agree that some parts of the image look like waterpainting, especially when the image is dark. I saw some 4K footage a few days ago from a Phantom 4 Pro and that looked way better.

UPS collected mine this afternoon, let's hope its not that long to wait, and the replacement is better! Dji didnt argue about it or want proof, she checked my serial number and just said ok we will take it back, maybe a certain serial number range have this fault? .

Well I've had my Mavic back from DJI, actually they replaced it in it's entirety....... Guess what?
The new one has the exact same edge blurring issue.... Man am I getting frustrated ;-(

I had to send mine in to yesterday since the problems reappeared. What you tell is really unacceptable from DJI

Well I've had my Mavic back from DJI, actually they replaced it in it's entirety....... Guess what?
The new one has the exact same edge blurring issue.... Man am I getting frustrated ;-(

That sucks, I have a bad feeling about what they are going to send me back ......

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradl