DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

hey all, saw on the phantom site. someone asked if you can use the mavic as a handheld

puravidastyles

Reactions
well this will sort the issue

CAN YOU USE THE MAVIC AS A HANDHELD CAMERA?
Yes and no. Using the wifi setting, you can hold your phone in one hand and the Mavic in the other to shoot video on the ground, but the arms in the back of the drone need to be folded out. If you don’t fold them out, they will interfere with the compass, which messes up the gimbal heading.

Welcome to our new forum puravidastyles :)

well this will sort the issue

CAN YOU USE THE MAVIC AS A HANDHELD CAMERA?
Yes and no. Using the wifi setting, you can hold your phone in one hand and the Mavic in the other to shoot video on the ground, but the arms in the back of the drone need to be folded out. If you don’t fold them out, they will interfere with the compass, which messes up the gimbal heading.
Welcome to the MavicPilots forum!
There were several solutions to this for the Phantoms too. It was a "handle" of sorts you attached to the Phantom.

Here is one example...

Reactions: dirkclod
This makes sense, thinking about it: the gimbal is probably trying to maintain fixed orientation in absence of yaw input from the controller....you'd be pushing it to its stops all the time. And the camera's so small it's easy to imagine heavy footfalls shaking it around a lot

i wonder if he had the rear wings/props extended.. as i posted above DJI suggest ......... but the arms in the back of the drone need to be folded out. If you don’t fold them out, they will interfere with the compass, which messes up the gimbal heading.

Is this why the gimbal is not working as it should..

Well we will all find out soon enough...lets hope

Thanks for posting that. I expected it to work better. Also surprised by the heat issue. I did not think it would get hot without the motors running.

It has 24 cores of processors reading and reacting to data - its a computer, it's gonna get hot. It isn't meant to be a hand-held gimbal.

Kinda look silly walking around with the drone and using it as a gopro or other video camera.. use the osmo for that ..

Thanks for posting that. I expected it to work better. Also surprised by the heat issue. I did not think it would get hot without the motors running.

The firmware release today says that:

Minimized an overheating issue resulting from not removing the gimbal clamp after powering on the aircraft.

Could be related, not sure though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent