DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi everyone.. im thinking about upgrading! what u think? :)

najkks

Reactions
Last year i bought a Phantom 3 (standard), have had quite a bit of fun with it.. flying at the weekend house, filming over water and so on.. but i guess that i want "more"..

First thing, its quite large and heavy to carry around with my all the time, that's the main reason that i often leave home without it (with no car, i just can't bare to bring it with me everywhere..), and that made me think about getting a smaller and more convenient one!

Right now the backpack is to large.. and it doesn't even fit everything needed (extra propellers, loading cables, holder for the cellphone/tablet and so on)

Also.. to get the remote to fit in the bag, i need to use a miniature screwdriver and just dismount the holder for the cellphone/tablet, otherwise it just wont fit in the bag!

Also the holder often "flings" all over the place, because the cellphone is so heavy that the holder doesn't all keep it in one place (i got a One +3 with about 5-6" screen)

Second.. i would really like a drone with a little more reach + batterytime!

I've been watching about 15-20 different "unboxing" and "flight test" -videos on youtube, and that make's me pretty sure that i would appreciate the capability of the DJI Mavic Pro..

But now im reaching out to you guys.. what's your opinion?

I want both good and bad remarks, everything is welcome :)

Reactions: Skyler
I'd say it depends on what you want to be able to do with the drone. For me the big plus was portability, range, and the tracking modes. My only disappointment, like many others, is the camera, but with a little post I'm happy with the images and videos for my purposes. I've have no other issues, been rock solid since I've had it! I love it, take it with me just about everywhere there might be the smallest chance of flying it!

Well i've been watching a lot of Casey Neistat's videos, when he is comparing it to the DJI P4 and so on..

and the main thing for me is portability, and range, and yes picturequality is important to!

im using the Phantom 3 "out of the box" with no tweeking what so ever, and im really happy with it's picture, will that make me disapointed with the Mavic Pro?!

here's a video i shoot last year at the archipelago here in sweden!

Seems to me like your key issue is portability. No need to tell you what choice there.

As to the camera I've taken to thinking of it like the camera on a mobile phone.

Limited.

But, like all such cameras is does have its sweet zone for exposure, focus, DOF, etc. Shoot inside the sweet spot (or zone) and the quality is quite acceptable and even great.

While you're thinking Mavic Pro, I'm thinking P4P... not there yet, but ...

Reactions: sosmaverick
hmm.. well if you compare the shoot i posted, and compare to the Mavic Pro?

some of the video - post production, that i've seen from the Mavic Pro looks pretty great!

yes.. well portability is key almost, and good batterytime, and good features and settings!

but the movies cant be so terrible that i wont use it...

if you look at this, and it's really not edited or something - it looks pretty great!

Yes, different beasts. Why not both ;)? Nice shots, been to Sweden, amazing how similar that looks to the Islands in my area (Strait of Juan de Fuca). Have to take some shots one day. I'd say the Mavic can produce quality like you posted, just needs a little work in an editor, and like ATB said above, finding all the sweet spots of the camera!

Unless you are using the drone for business and need a top shelf drone, get the MAVIC PRO. I HAVE A P1, P3A and a mavic. I'm selling the P3 and letting my 5 year old fly the P1. Mavic is a nice blend of portability and quality. Sick of taking a suitcase around to get some pictures with a drone. Get it, you'll love it.

Reactions: bucefalo
Unless you are using the drone for business and need a top shelf drone, get the MAVIC PRO. I HAVE A P1, P3A and a mavic. I'm selling the P3 and letting my 5 year old fly the P1. Mavic is a nice blend of portability and quality. Sick of taking a suitcase around to get some pictures with a drone. Get it, you'll love it.

seems to be a good advice!

keeping in mind i also experienced the same issue with the "hauling backpack experience", pretty **** tired of everything that needs to be put together before flying to!

correct me.. but the mavic pro can be transported with propellers folded in - they don't have to get unscrewed?
also.. the holder for the cellphone, does that support most phones on the market - and to what size, or is it adjustable?

Yes, different beasts. Why not both ;)? Nice shots, been to Sweden, amazing how similar that looks to the Islands in my area (Strait of Juan de Fuca). Have to take some shots one day. I'd say the Mavic can produce quality like you posted, just needs a little work in an editor, and like ATB said above, finding all the sweet spots of the camera!

well.. when i actually - if i - get the mavic i don't think that im keen to draging the Phantom along everywhere :)

got a deal this evening, on a new Mavic for about $1100 (keeping in mind they are hard to get here in sweden right now)

if i go with the "combo", i get a second battery, car charger, backpack, for about $300 more, so about $1400 total

but maybe i can get a second battery, and a nice backpack for a lot less than $300 ?!

With the combo you get extra blades, total of three batteries, and the multiport batter charger, too. Yes, you are correct, the blades just fold and go. They are quick release, so easy to take on and off, just no need to!

The holster fits most phones. People even use it with an iPad mini, so pretty adjustable.

With the combo you get extra blades, total of three batteries, and the multiport batter charger, too. Yes, you are correct, the blades just fold and go. They are quick release, so easy to take on and off, just no need to!

The holster fits most phones. People even use it with an iPad mini, so pretty adjustable.

that's kind of strange, there are "only" 2 pcs of batteries included in the combo-package here in sweden!

that's why i thought $300 was a huge amount.. i mean, you can get the extra battery för around $100,
and i don't think blades cost more than $50 for 4pcs to buy online! and the other stuff i can manage without...

has anyone here posted movies directly from the Drone without editing etc?

it's one thing what i read on the info at youtube, another if i can hear it from the guy who actually shoot it!

that's kind of strange, there are "only" 2 pcs of batteries included in the combo-package here in sweden!

that's why i thought $300 was a huge amount.. i mean, you can get the extra battery för around $100,
and i don't think blades cost more than $50 for 4pcs to buy online! and the other stuff i can manage without...

The "Fly More Combo" is what is described on the DJI site and you end up with 3 batts, 10 props, 2 chargers, charging hub, an adaptor to charge your phone from a MP batt, and bag (and I probably left something out).

What you are being sold is perhaps not the DJI Fly More Combo?

If you like, my kit is available for CAD$1700. Fly More Combo plus 10.5 months worth of Care Refresh. And Carbon orange skin - installed.

The "Fly More Combo" is what is described on the DJI site and you end up with 3 batts, 10 props, 2 chargers, charging hub, an adaptor to charge your phone from a MP batt, and bag (and I probably left something out).

What you are being sold is perhaps not the DJI Fly More Combo?

If you like, my kit is available for CAD$1700. Fly More Combo plus 10.5 months worth of Care Refresh. And Carbon orange skin - installed.

i think you're right - it was just an average "combo" package that was sold included 2 batteries.

well im still thinking about getting a brand new one, but thanks for the offer :)

currently i got one new from store for about $1230, i just havent decided yet :)

i think you're right - it was just an average "combo" package that was sold included 2 batteries.

well im still thinking about getting a brand new one, but thanks for the offer :)

currently i got one new from store for about $1230, i just havent decided yet :)

To put it in perspective, my CAD$1700 package = US$1270 and you get a heck of a lot more!

Seems to me like your key issue is portability. No need to tell you what choice there.

As to the camera I've taken to thinking of it like the camera on a mobile phone.

Limited.

But, like all such cameras is does have its sweet zone for exposure, focus, DOF, etc. Shoot inside the sweet spot (or zone) and the quality is quite acceptable and even great.

While you're thinking Mavic Pro, I'm thinking P4P... not there yet, but ...

I'd second this. Portability is unrivalled, the drone weighs and packs up real small considering its capabilities in the air. The camera has its own set of capabilities mind, it definitely for me resembles a phone camera. I have shot good stills with it though, as long as you're not looking at printing it certainly can jive. Video capabilities I'm yet to explore, but I do read and often see threads/complaints of it's ability.

Having said all this, it's portability has allowed me to travel the world, comfortably and fly in some great spots that I just couldn't do with a ugly, bulky phantom!

If you're doing anything commercially, if you're wanting outright image quality, it's gotta be the P4P. If you're willing to compromise on your optics for serious portability.. mavic is your choice.

Alternatively, if you don't mind waiting... a good while, the mavic's older brother? [emoji16]

I'd second this. Portability is unrivalled, the drone weighs and packs up real small considering its capabilities in the air. The camera has its own set of capabilities mind, it definitely for me resembles a phone camera. I have shot good stills with it though, as long as you're not looking at printing it certainly can jive. Video capabilities I'm yet to explore, but I do read and often see threads/complaints of it's ability.

Having said all this, it's portability has allowed me to travel the world, comfortably and fly in some great spots that I just couldn't do with a ugly, bulky phantom!

If you're doing anything commercially, if you're wanting outright image quality, it's gotta be the P4P. If you're willing to compromise on your optics for serious portability.. mavic is your choice.

Alternatively, if you don't mind waiting... a good while, the mavic's older brother? [emoji16]

Well.. im not doing any commercially or other wise, just want to take pics, shoot movies as a hobby :)

and the one's i take with my Phantom 3 standard (not 4k) is really good enough for me, so as long as Mavic can match that to a certain poont, well then im happy :)

the main thing is the remote-size, and all the settings, and ofcourse also the size of the actual drone..

well, my cellphone take's really great shoots, so to compare the drone to todays cellphone-cams, aren't so bad after all..

To put it in perspective, my CAD$1700 package = US$1270 and you get a heck of a lot more!

well.. that's true! and im also thinking about getting another battery further on..

but what about shipping, insurance, taxes, customs?

I have a p3s and was thinking of upgrading to the mavic. I see it's a better bird in everyway. However I would like to sell my p3s to help off set the cost of the mavic. What does a p3s normally sell for with 3 batteries and the dji case?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag