DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi from Oman

TezzAuzz

Reactions
Hi all.

Name's Tez. Aussie/Brit currently working in Oman, Muscat.
Just picked up a Mavic Pro on a road trip to Dubai. Looking forward to Oman making regulations simpler for drone owners.

Got some lovely wildlife footage the other day of camels near my house. Once I'm better at camera control I'll put something up to view.

Looking forward to some good tech tips and ideas from this forum.

Cheers,

Tez

Reactions: Soft7 and dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s. Read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)

Hi all.

Just picked up a Mavic Pro on a road trip to Dubai. Looking forward to Oman making regulations simpler for drone owners.

Got some lovely wildlife footage the other day of camels near my house. Once I'm better at camera control I'll put something up to view.

Cheers,

Tez
Hi bro,

Were you stopped by customs department for drone or did they ask anything?

Hi bro,

Were you stopped by customs department for drone or did they ask anything?
No i took a drive over the border and collected from Dubai. Was the most likely way to avoid hassle.

Honestly I don't expect to have a problem but it's a costly risk. PACA are refining the drone licence procedure this month so hopefully they will have an application form on their website and within a month you can obtain a licence which should allow you to bring drones in to Oman without issue. That's the theory anyway!

Hey happy to see you on board. Oman has some great mountains, look forward to seeing your vids.

Man, so I recently took a flight to Manila from Paris with my drone and batteries in my LiPo bag and card cases. When I advised the ticket agent that I had the Mavic inside the bag I was about to check in, she was shocked. Called her manager and advised me that it was not allowed through Muscat, Oman. They made me take out my drone and hold it in the airport until I return. BIG HEADACHE.

If my final destination is Manila, and only stopping over in Oman to change planes, why couldn't I have taken my mavic with me in my checked-luggage?

Now, I'm trying to get in contact with the Muscat airport security as well as OmanAir to clarify.

No i took a drive over the border and collected from Dubai. Was the most likely way to avoid hassle.

Honestly I don't expect to have a problem but it's a costly risk. PACA are refining the drone licence procedure this month so hopefully they will have an application form on their website and within a month you can obtain a licence which should allow you to bring drones in to Oman without issue. That's the theory anyway!

Man, so I recently took a flight to Manila from Paris with my drone and batteries in my LiPo bag and card cases. When I advised the ticket agent that I had the Mavic inside the bag I was about to check in, she was shocked. Called her manager and advised me that it was not allowed through Muscat, Oman. They made me take out my drone and hold it in the airport until I return. BIG HEADACHE.

If my final destination is Manila, and only stopping over in Oman to change planes, why couldn't I have taken my mavic with me in my checked-luggage?

Now, I'm trying to get in contact with the Muscat airport security as well as OmanAir to clarify.

They are quite funny here in Oman. Drones and batteries should be in hand luggage anyway but to leave the airport there is a simple baggage scanner so it is possible to keep the drone on your person and get it through but it's risky.
The Public Authority for Civil Aviation (PACA) here in Muscat was reportedly supposed to streamline the licencing process and put an application form on their website by the end of March 2017. As yet it still hasn't happened and I have emailed them 3 times and tried calling all numbers on multiple occasions with no luck

As you say, a mere transfer should not affect you carrying a drone as you are not leaving the airport or using it in Oman.
The problem is there are no defined regulations and they get twitchy about flying cameras so they act out of caution instead of reason.

Hi all.

Cheers,

Tez

Hello ! Are you still working in Oman ? Might be interested for a photogrametry mission in Oman ?
Clémence

Hi TezzAuzz,

Came across this forum while trying to do some research on Drones in Oman. Can you elaborate on the "baggage scanner" below? If I had a folded Mavic in my pants (i could pull it off) do you think they would notice? Otherwise, anywhere in Oman you could rent or borrow a Mavic/Spark?

I have tried finding out information on the new license, but cant find a webpage or anything to start the process.

We are going on a week camping holiday, and I really want to get some aerial footage, but also don't want my drone confiscated!

They are quite funny here in Oman. Drones and batteries should be in hand luggage anyway but to leave the airport there is a simple baggage scanner so it is possible to keep the drone on your person and get it through but it's risky.
The Public Authority for Civil Aviation (PACA) here in Muscat was reportedly supposed to streamline the licencing process and put an application form on their website by the end of March 2017. As yet it still hasn't happened and I have emailed them 3 times and tried calling all numbers on multiple occasions with no luck

As you say, a mere transfer should not affect you carrying a drone as you are not leaving the airport or using it in Oman.
The problem is there are no defined regulations and they get twitchy about flying cameras so they act out of caution instead of reason.

Hi TezzAuzz,

Came across this forum while trying to do some research on Drones in Oman. Can you elaborate on the "baggage scanner" below? If I had a folded Mavic in my pants (i could pull it off) do you think they would notice? Otherwise, anywhere in Oman you could rent or borrow a Mavic/Spark?

I have tried finding out information on the new license, but cant find a webpage or anything to start the process.

We are going on a week camping holiday, and I really want to get some aerial footage, but also don't want my drone confiscated!

Hello.... Apologies for absence and not replying. I've had an emotional time after having my Mavic confiscated in July at Muscat airport trying to LEAVE the country with it!!! Their argument was "it's not allowed in this country so you cannot take it out of the country"!!!

Unbelievable.

Anyway, just last week I managed to get it back and have my sister fly it back to the UK in her checked luggage.
At least I know it's safe and I haven't lost it for good.

In response to your question Simms, yes that method would totally work so long as it isn't obvious. I even bought a cycling jersey with the pocket in the back for such a purpose but never got the chance to try it.

Since then I have purchased a DJI Spark (YES in Oman!!!!!) and will see how much luck I have with that.
A colleague has left and entered the country with his Spark with no hassle so far.

In relation to the question on licencing there is a board comprised of officials from ROP, Customs and PACA all trying to make a decision on if drones should be allowed in Oman and how to regulate them. As nothing happens quickly in Oman I wouldn't hold your breath just yet.
There are Phantom 4's here and they do film events such as the Spartan Race and Marathons but I don't know how they have achieved permission to do so.

TezzAuzz, thanks for the detailed response! I think based on what you are saying it's not worth the risk - I'd have to get lucky on the way in, and then again on the way out.

I am now looking to see if I can rent one during my stay - I found a website, but it's quite pricey - any other suggestions?

I don't suppose you want to rent your spark over Christmas? I am coming from Scotland, so could bring some nice whiskey!

TezzAuzz, thanks for the detailed response! I think based on what you are saying it's not worth the risk - I'd have to get lucky on the way in, and then again on the way out.

I am now looking to see if I can rent one during my stay - I found a website, but it's quite pricey - any other suggestions?

I don't suppose you want to rent your spark over Christmas? I am coming from Scotland, so could bring some nice whiskey!

Just to clarify exactly how the confiscation occurred..... I foolishly put the Mavic in my carry on luggage with the battery attached. Hindsight it should have had the battery removed and been placed in the checked luggage as my sister did without hassle.

So weigh up your risk assessment on this premise. I will be here in December and I have my Spark and 2 Mavics local I may be able to loan. I do have 4k footage I will post eventually of Oman that is stunning

TezzAuzz,

Thanks again. Mull over a loan, I am an experienced drone flyer:

We arrive December 22nd, and leave the 1st.

Just to clarify exactly how the confiscation occurred..... I foolishly put the Mavic in my carry on luggage with the battery attached. Hindsight it should have had the battery removed and been placed in the checked luggage as my sister did without hassle.

So weigh up your risk assessment on this premise. I will be here in December and I have my Spark and 2 Mavics local I may be able to loan. I do have 4k footage I will post eventually of Oman that is stunning

Hi all.

Cheers,

Tez
Howdy from Wyoming TezzAuzz, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Hey Mate, Doing a road trip around the GCC and obviously taking the Mavic with us. When we cross the boarder into Oman in the car, will it be confiscated or as long as it is well hidden then its ok? Appreciate any tips as don't want to have any troubles.. Also its a long road trip so we planned to use it when we can legally use it..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka