DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Wind Test (nearly 50km/h gusts)

BlakPhoenix

Reactions
Had a storm on its way in in Sydney this evening so I thought I'd test how the Mavic held itself in difficult conditions. The wind speed was measured at 31km/h with 48km/h gusts.

It was definitely pushing the limits for what the Mavic can handle. It still flew well in Sport mode, but struggled to make any headway in P-mode. It held quite steady considering the wind speed, although did gain altitude often trying to stay still (in this video I did not manually raise its altitude).

All in all, I'm extremely impressed with how well this little drone fights the wind and holds position.

(no sound)

Reactions: Matt and Andrejs
Yes, I had some tests as well and impressed about it (but only in sport mode of course)

"The wind speed was measured at 31km/h with 48km/h gusts."

Definitely close to the maximum. I flew today - the forecast is 25 MPH winds with gusts up to 32MPH. I guess weather forecasts give the ground air speed - hard to say what it was 80M high.

Imagine my horror when I tried to bring the Mavic back and the wind was proving too strong for it!

Switch to sports mode - then realise my newly repaired under warranty drone had sports mode still disabled!

Thankfully the return to home and a brief drop in the wind allowed me to bring it back safely - it was not that far away but over woods.

Anyway I concluded 25 MPH winds with gusts up to 32 MPH is my absolute maximum unless desperate - and even then I'd only fly it close by.

"The wind speed was measured at 31km/h with 48km/h gusts."

Definitely close to the maximum. I flew today - the forecast is 25 MPH winds with gusts up to 32MPH. I guess weather forecasts give the ground air speed - hard to say what it was 80M high.

Imagine my horror when I tried to bring the Mavic back and the wind was proving too strong for it!

Switch to sports mode - then realise my newly repaired under warranty drone had sports mode still disabled!

Thankfully the return to home and a brief drop in the wind allowed me to bring it back safely - it was not that far away but over woods.

Anyway I concluded 25 MPH winds with gusts up to 32 MPH is my absolute maximum unless desperate - and even then I'd only fly it close by.

That is very windy! I don't think I'd be game enough to take out the Mavic in those kinds of conditions. Winds can vary greatly within 50 meters of the ground. Once you get above the tree/building line it picks up a lot and you do have to be careful about flyaways.

Happened to me too on Sunday. I had to follow it a few blocks before it was safe to come down.

Now I always do a flick of the switch to see if Sport mode is at least available if I need it.

Had a storm on its way in in Sydney this evening so I thought I'd test how the Mavic held itself in difficult conditions. The wind speed was measured at 31km/h with 48km/h gusts.

It was definitely pushing the limits for what the Mavic can handle. It still flew well in Sport mode, but struggled to make any headway in P-mode. It held quite steady considering the wind speed, although did gain altitude often trying to stay still (in this video I did not manually raise its altitude).

All in all, I'm extremely impressed with how well this little drone fights the wind and holds position.

(no sound)

I tried yesterday as well, the wind was quite hard but still it manages to remain stable :)
Today I hope I can chase a cruise ship ;)

Good stuff, it handles the wind well doesn't it

Much better than I expected and hoped for! I think because it's so low profile it doesn't catch much air. As it starts to tilt to adjust to strong winds it catches more air though which means the sustainability of the drone quickly drops off. When the gusts were strongest you could definitely see it was really working it's guts out to stay put, but as soon as the gusts died down just a tad it was easily coping again.

Had mine up in 55kmh gusts yesterday (as measured by Healthy Drones). Probably even stronger at I had it fly a 3km route at 300AGL at one point. Nearer the ground on the way back I grabbed a shot of the trees moving. Fake wind noise added.

A video I shot of the Mavic itself in similar winds. I'm still impressed to this day how well it flies.

We've snow on the way - trying to guess whether the Mavic will cope with zero degrees celsius temperatures ( 32 Fahrenheit ) and winds of 23MPH with gusts up to 33MPH.

Possibly pushing my luck but those amazing snow photo opportunities are tempting!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007