DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Highest altitude flown

DePilot

Reactions
Hi guys,

Just curious, what's the highest altitude you've all flown before? Personally I've only been up to 300 and get kind of scared to go higher (recently bought my Mavic).

Some pics/videos would be cool!

Are you expecting someone to post that they went above 400ft and provide evidence o_O

Are you expecting someone to post that they went above 400ft and provide evidence o_O

Haha after I posted this I figured people were going to assume that. No, just curious! I live in the US and know that max altitude is 400 feet, but it's possible other members across the world don't have the same regulations [emoji51]

I've flown up to 650 from my take off point.

You see, about 500 feet behind my house is a ridge about 250 feet high. I flew to 400, got over the ridge and went up another 250 :). Still less than 400AGL. I was trying to see if I could get Manhattan which is around 35 miles away from me.

I've seen folks post vids up in commercial airspace which is totally irresponsible. I use flight radar and check every time I see a low airplane. The lowest I've seen reported was 2000MSL which is right around 500 AGL at the peak of the ridge.

So I am new here. This is my first post. I'm sure someone will say how irresponsible I am or how I am breaking laws blah blah.. But anyways I contacted to local airports and inquired about a max altitude test and was told there were no aircraft in the area and that I was permitted with my short test. The only airport that had a concern was about a mile away and all that came from that was I was asked if I could stay on the phone while I did such test.

Anyways long story short the Mavic is capped at a max altitude 1000' agl. With normal error the GPS logged it as 1073' agl.

I do not advise anyone to try this on their own but I was in a very remote area with little to no air traffic and I did not get permission per say but got confirmation that no aircraft were in the area so there would be no risk. Since this is a very remote area as well the only risk all together was to the drone itself as well as to myself.

So if your curious the mavic firmware will not let it go above 1000' agl.

I thought I have read where Mavic's have ascended the full 500m. One incident I recall involved the Magic ascending to avoid the sun as a perceived obstacle.

ea45adf2e225f3a7faef5ec699aa9e43.jpg

Reactions: robtro
I flew starting from the beach in Greece, straight up the middle of a steep Gorge. I went to 800 feet above my takeoff point, but I was never more than 60-75 feet above the ground....

Went to 500m, 1630 ft, as well.

Up the side of a mountain here in LA. Never more than about 200 ft AGL.

Maxed out the Mavic straight after the maiden test flight. 500m (1600 Feet). Wasn't in the city.

Yes I will admit it. I have taken mine up to the full 1641 ft that it will allow. However I was 40 miles outside of Las Vegas literally out in the middle of empty desert, not in any of the airports controlled airspace, and was literally up long enough to snap a couple pics and then right back down again, it took longer to get up there than it did to snap the pics and come down. I know all the standard departure and arrival routes into the city and was well away from them. Also I had my scanner with me listening to the local ATC. "There was no danger, I had the shot so I took it"

Attachments

• DJI_0149.JPG
    DJI_0149.JPG
    941.9 KB · Views: 139
went to 400ft only, windspeed was about 22 knots at the time. Right now I'm mainly concerned with getting the video settings right for good images...lol.

went to 400ft only, windspeed was about 22 knots at the time. Right now I'm mainly concerned with getting the video settings right for good images...lol.
Start with the standard and everything in "auto". When that works, only then try to change settings. In most cases, auto settings are enough.
I think I'm the only one here that puts a grey shield in front of the camera before I take of when flying with D-Log

Reactions: Johnie5
Start with the standard and everything in "auto". When that works, only then try to change settings. In most cases, auto settings are enough.
I think I'm the only one here that puts a grey shield in front of the camera before I take of when flying with D-Log
I think I've been watching too many youtube videos from advanced users. Will try sticking to basic mode and see how it goes. thanks

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme