DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hopeful soon to be pilot

drat

Reactions
Hi, Daniel in southern AZ. I have been looking to get a drone and the Mavic looks like the coolest thing I've ever seen. I have zero experience with these things outside of a cheap sharper image toy which I crashed a lot. I looked at a lot of the 107 certification study info and seems I may be in way over my head in that department. The info I see seems like these things basically fly themselves. Wondering if this would be a little over the top to start with. Thanks for any info.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

I looked at a lot of the 107 certification study info and seems I may be in way over my head in that department.
Are you looking to fly commercially? If not, you don't need to delve in the FAA Part 107 content.

I hope to have the option to make a little cash to offset the cost. I was also looking to have a solid understanding of the info to hopefully make me a more responsible recreational user.

If you're looking to fly commercially, the Mavic's camera is simply not that great. For personal use it's fine - in which case, you don't have to worry about the 107 licensing. While the Mavic handles a lot of the work for you, it definitely doesn't fly itself. Well, it can - but that's not why we buy them :cool:. It is the most stable drone I've seen, so it does "help" you out quite a bit while you are learning to fly.

I definitely am falling into the more money than brains category with this one. I have always been interested in a drone then saw a video for this thing and decided I really want one. As far as commercial use goes it would probably be used for taking rock climbing pics and videos. With the ever expanding opportunities with these popping up I don't want to sell myself short with uses though

If you want to open the door to commercial "possibilities", I would say that you should also consider the Phantom 4. It's camera is far better than the Mavic's. I shoot professionally, but don't think I'd ever use my Mavic for a commercial shoot. That said, it is more fun to fly the Mavic than any other platform that I have flown.

Hmmm, will definitely keep that in mind. The cool/fun factor is definitely a contributing factor of wanting one. If you don't mind my asking what do you do with it commercially?

The Mavic? I don't use it for commercial shoots. That's not to say that I wouldn't... I think I have my video settings dialed in pretty well. So I have "some" reasonable expectation of what the Mavic will give me.

Thanks for that. Definitely something to keep in mind. I was looking at the Phantoms too but everything about them was just extra cost. Batteries were more, remote was separate etc. Would you say even the base model P4 has better camera than Mavic?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots