DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizon issue with new firmware ...... ?

G284L

Reactions
I have noticed my horizon has been off since the new firmware update. Wondering if anybody else has run into issue ? Is there a way I can make an adjustment to solve this problem ?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I would start with an IMU calibration, but have gimbal roll adjustment set to 0.0. After calibration, I would then do a Gimbal calibration. Then finally, use the Adjust Gimbal Roll to level the horizon.

Reactions: mookyyzed
Yes. Imu calibration then your compass and gimbal. You'll be good. Always always do imu after an update for sure;)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thanks for help I guess it's not rocket science to do calibrations after an update, something I have never done. I will let you know how I make out thanks again.

Probably no need to do IMU calibration here. It's ridiculously over-prescribed on this forum and elsewhere. Do calibrations if you like, but a bad calibration may make things worse and throw everything off.

However, just like several other user-adjustments, the gimbal roll adjustment is probably overwritten when you do this update.

Probably no need to do IMU calibration here. It's ridiculously over-prescribed on this forum and elsewhere. Do calibrations if you like, but a bad calibration may make things worse and throw everything off.

However, just like several other user-adjustments, the gimbal roll adjustment is probably overwritten when you do this update.

Without a doubt one should do imu after firmware update. It is not over prescribed it is good practice.

G284L, yes I have the same issue. I'm not sure if it was due to the recent update because I updated when I opened the box (just got my mavic last week). Ive done every calibration available and in every order and nothing fixes my horizon issue. I've narrowed the problem down to the roll- the horizon stays flat when yawing or moving stright forward or backward. I've spoken with DJI and they gave me the run around about calibration to start but now they want me to send the unit in for diagnosis and repair. I'm new to DJI but no gimbal worth a **** should ever do that. Not even my Solo by 3DR did that and that gimbal was riddled with problems. Ive also tested to see if stiffening the bands holding the gimbal in place would help but to no avail. I'll write an update when I get the unit back from DJI about what the problem may have been.

Just found a fix on this forum ? Hold the C2 button down than use the camera settings wheel and make your adjustments, not sure haven't tried it yet trying to get confirmation on the exact way to get it fixed. I will follow up

isnt that just a shortcut for adjusting the gimbal roll? the same adjustmant you can make in the options tab?

See "Mavic Pro Gimbal Roll" by chipcamel post about this topic, not sure......

Yes mharbell I guess it is a shortcut for the gimbal roll but it seems to fix an issue with having to reset the roll time after time....see that post.....thankx

Reactions: ChristianZZZ
Yes, having the same issue! Very happy to see it's not just me. I need to adjust the gimbal roll MULTIPLE times throughout every flight.

I don't believe the firmware caused a gimbal horizontal tilt problem when turning or flying sideways. (A change after manually adjusted) Its easy to blame FW on issues that we may just happen to notice the first time after an update.

I had it before the FW update even after doing all of the calibrations. It normally corrected itself after a few seconds. After the FW updated, I again did the IMU, compass and gimbal calibrations. It may even be a bit less noticeable now, probably because something in the calibration was slightly different. Not sure if it made a difference, but I placed the Mavic outside in the cold (35f) overnight prior to the calibration, and made sure the IMU surface was level. I always check the level prior to IMU calibrations.

I've come to the conclusion that most Mavics have some problem with this, even after calibrations. I doubt any are truly perfect all the time. I'm sure there are different levels of severity, and some of us may be more critical than others.

Even with this, I'm sure some are well out of the norm and will need to be sent in for evaluation. For those of you that have sent your AC in for evaluation, please let us know what DJI has reported and if they resolved your issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: RitterRunkel
I contacted DJI about it and they had me send it in for repairs. I haven't heard back from them if they've fixed it, or no solution or if they're going to try to make me pay for it. They received it last Friday but aren't probably just unpacking it today. I'll write back when I hear from them and when I receive it to see if the issue has been resolved

I contacted DJI about it and they had me send it in for repairs. I haven't heard back from them if they've fixed it, or no solution or if they're going to try to make me pay for it. They received it last Friday but aren't probably just unpacking it today. I'll write back when I hear from them and when I receive it to see if the issue has been resolved
Great keep us posted

Chipcamel post

So when I have my gimbal roll at 0.0 my camera is completely sideways. I have adjust the gimbal roll to 4.8 for it to be level but it used to be at 3.8. I feel it keep tilting farther and farther even after gimbal calibration. After I go to 0.0 and calibrate it's straight right after it finishes then immediately turns slanted. Anyone else having this problem or know a fix for it?

Mavic Pro Gimbal Roll

Last edited:
Yes, having the same issue! Very happy to see it's not just me. I need to adjust the gimbal roll MULTIPLE times throughout every flight.
Disable "Block gimbal when capture" from DJI GO 4 camera options.

Reactions: ed1nh0
Update on sending mavic pro into the shop for the tilting issue. To recap, when I adjust my gimbal roll for level horizon (and do all calibrations), I can move forward and back and yaw left and right without a problem but as soon as I roll at all the horizon slowly starts to go diagonal until its tens of degrees off (not in FPV mode). I sent the drone in from San francisco on wednedsay Feb 22, they received it that friday and I've been checking the repair update and its said up until last night that they were waiting to receive it. I got an email this morning that they are replacing the gimbal under warranty. So hopefully I'll have it back by the end of this week or next and I can test to see if the issue has been resolved. I'll keep you up to date

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22