DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Houston TX Mavic Pilots

Well maybe they are catching up to my order as well then. I'm inside the loop and ordered on 1/11 (short wait so far I know, but it seems like forever). Can't wait to take my maiden voyage.
Bamf, do you have drone flying skills already?

I'm in cypress, had the Mav for a week or so. Hard to mess up in beginner mode. Now out of beginner mode and flying out of sight using an iPad mini 2. Still not too high or too far but will get there. This thing is so much more than a toy! Might be interested in getting together at some point.

Reactions: treytexag
I'm in cypress, had the Mav for a week or so. Hard to mess up in beginner mode. Now out of beginner mode and flying out of sight using an iPad mini 2. Still not too high or too far but will get there. This thing is so much more than a toy! Might be interested in getting together at some point.

Glad you're starting to get more comfortable with operating your Mavic. There's a meetup on Feb. 4th at Burroughs Park in Tomball: South Texas Drone User Group

I may, or may not, go to that meetup. I'm in Sugar Land and that's a drive-and-a-half for me. I've been to one of their past meetups there and it's a nice place to fly.

Let me know when/where you want fly!

File Jan 19, 7 04 34 PM.jpeg My MP Fly More arrived Tuesday, a day ahead of schedule here in Houston - I'm in Bunker Hill Village. Anyway, the MP is still in the box as packed in China. I'm busy during the week - and - it's quite wet where I live . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: RollingRob
Bunker Hill? I went to high school right there (long time ago mind you). I'm in the Heights now. Maybe we can fly and meet in the middle some day?

Mine shows delivery of Tuesday. I can't wait.

Bunker Hill? I went to high school right there (long time ago mind you). I'm in the Heights now. Maybe we can fly and meet in the middle some day?

Mine shows delivery of Tuesday. I can't wait.
I'm up for it. I used to live near Beverly and 9th in the Heights . . . .that was a long time ago. Where I used to live is quite "gentrified" now . . . LOL. We should get together and fly for sure. I don't know how to fly yet, mind you, but I'll figure it out . . . . :D

Is it raining in your area? Yesterday and parts of today have lots of rain.
It was raining in Pearland in the morning & early afternoon, but stopped by late afternoon. I was able to take it up for a short test flight. Then spent time customizing the camera & controller settings per various YouTube recommendations. Can hopefully do some recording today.

It was raining in Pearland in the morning & early afternoon, but stopped by late afternoon. I was able to take it up for a short test flight. Then spent time customizing the camera & controller settings per various YouTube recommendations. Can hopefully do some recording today.

Looks like you're an "early bird" like me. :)

Congrats on getting your Mavic up! I'm looking forward to seeing how your videos turn out!

I just received mine today! Super excited to fly this weekend, weather and kids permitting. I live in the Jersey Village area if there are any local flyers in that part of town.

I just received mine today! Super excited to fly this weekend, weather and kids permitting. I live in the Jersey Village area if there are any local flyers in that part of town.

Congratulations! I was going to fly today after work but there's strong disturbance in the force...i mean weather. Should clear up this weekend but Sunday is going to be a VERY windy day. A good day for flying kites (maybe), not flying rc planes or drones. Forecast is 30+mph with stronger gusts.

Congratulations! I was going to fly today after work but there's strong disturbance in the force...i mean weather. Should clear up this weekend but Sunday is going to be a VERY windy day. A good day for flying kites (maybe), not flying rc planes or drones. Forecast is 30+mph with stronger gusts.
Yes, saw that. Looks like maybe tomorrow afternoon for the maiden voyage or not at all this weekend.

What's a few more days, right?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MavicPilots mobile app

With all the bad weather, try to resist the urge to fire it up indoors. I was tempted when I got mine a couple of weeks ago, but glad I didn't after reading all the stories of them drifting in to walls, pets, coffee tables, people... In low light indoors they don't do so well apparently.

With all the bad weather, try to resist the urge to fire it up indoors. I was tempted when I got mine a couple of weeks ago, but glad I didn't after reading all the stories of them drifting in to walls, pets, coffee tables, people... In low light indoors they don't do so well apparently.

One of my side gigs is coaching indoor volleyball in gym which has 8 volleyball courts (which also converts into 4 full-size basketball courts. I have yet to fly my Mavic there (too many people when I'm there, but hopefully will get a chance tomorrow), but did fly my P3P there and it performed flawlessly throughout the entire gym (not the greatest, but it works. Video shot entirely with P3P):

Took my Mavic up for the first flight today! Thank goodness for kids that still nap and some sunshine. A few notes.

1) The clear camera cover is useless. I really wish I could fly with it on for the added layer of protection but it shows up in 80-90% of my video and pictures.
2) I am using dji4 with a nexus 6. This is not a good long term solution. Even with WiFi and BT off and device in Do Not Disturb, I had 3-4 app crashes over 2 batteries.
3) I used a landing/takeoff pad. I liked this and think there is value in them. I tried to walk in for a hand catch and it was a bit dicey for my liking. Maybe when I get a bit more comfortable with the Mavic.

The good news is I never took it more then 1000 ft from me and was flying over areas I knew well (my neighborhood) so was able to get it home no problem based on height/distance on the remote and visual contact. Still very scary when you lose the app though! I pushed the RTH button on the remote when the app crashed (and drone was visable by me) and it just continued to hover, no moving toward (or away) from the recorded home point. Anyone know if the app needs to be working for RTH to function? I really liked the RTH button on the remote for use if/when the app crashed on the phone but not so sure of that now.

Overall it was an awesome, fun and scary first couple of batteries! I look forward to the next flight!

I'm guessing it would do fine in a well lit gym. Most of the indoor issues are in a house with low light.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S