DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How are you guys scouting air space / elevations before you launch?

RHelton10

Reactions
2 questions:

How are you checking to see if flight is allowed in an area before you drive there? Is there an app available that shows restricted air space?

How are you guys checking the highest elevation around you to set your RTH elevation before you launch? Again, is there an app?

I know the controller will warn you but I'm trying to find a resource that will save me the trouble of driving to a location only to find it's restricted. A friend of mine is a pilot and showed me what they use but it's like learning how to read a map all over again. I'm thinking with all the new drones on the market, someone has to be creating an easy solution in app form to make it easier. Global would be ideal but at least (for me) United States coverage would work.

Anyone found any solutions?

In the UK I am using UAV Forecast and Drone Assist apps on my mobile device/tablet. but there are apps for the USA that do the same thing.

Reactions: RHelton10
There are several apps available to help determine if an area is a No Fly Zone. UAV Zone, B4Ufly, UAV Forecast just to name a few.

Personally, I like UAV Forecast. Its map is more realistic for the area I live in. What I mean by that is the NFZ marked on the map are ones that should definitely be contacted before flying near/in that airspace. UAV Zones and B4ufly marks EVERY helicopter pad and when looking at the map you can't fly anywhere without first contacting that "heliport/airport"...

When it comes to a location to fly. I usually drive/ride out there and personally scout it out. While I may use goggle maps or see if there are any local cameras to that area like traffic cams, I like to go out and see if anything has changed. You never know if there is some type of construction going on that wasn't there months before, ir something has happened to change the terrain features....

Reactions: RHelton10
DJI's got multiple maps to deal with, depending on country. They coordinate them all here. GEO system countries and non GEO system countries.

DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones

As for obstacles-- my first battery is dedicated to ascending straight up and determining the heights of obstacles. If a tree branch tip or electric power line is visibly at the camera's horizon, then you have the height of that obstacle (relative to takeoff). Add 5 meters or more as a safety margin. Look for power lines.

I have asked Litchi for a third pin type, a hazard pin, so I can remind myself where all the hazards are around an area. High-tension cables are hard to see while flying.

Reactions: rfc0001
On iOS (not sure about android) there is an app called "Free Map Tools". It has an elevation tool that allows you to touch anywhere on the map to give you what the elevation is at that point. Very cool for checking elevation changes in areas you are thinking to fly in. It has a few other tools that you may find useful as well.

Reactions: sonof40
On iOS (not sure about android) there is an app called "Free Map Tools". It has an elevation tool that allows you to touch anywhere on the map to give you what the elevation is at that point. Very cool for checking elevation changes in areas you are thinking to fly in. It has a few other tools that you may find useful as well.

Very cool I'll check that out now as well thank you

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: curtissimo
Just a FYI, on iOS it gives the elevation in meters, but if you touch the elevation info area it changes to feet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys