DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can such a brilliantly designed tool become such a pain in the butt

I have flown my Mavic many times, with the only problem being the occasional flameout of the GO4 app. Today was different.
I noticed a slight drift in the yaw, so I decided to perform an RC calibration. Just to make sure I was taking the right steps, I watched the DJI "how-to" video on YouTube.
After performing the calibration, I started the Mavic and launched it, only to discover that the sticks had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT. It hung about 4 feet in the air. RTH did nothing. Attempting to land from the GO4 app had no impact. I didn't want to try the RSC yet, as I wasn't ready to let it fall to the pavement.
The only option left was a hand-catch, which I have never done before. I caught it, and tried to shut down the battery. The Mavic, instead of shutting down, only revved higher, trying to climb.
While holding the Mavic in one hand, I tried the ESC. No impact at all.
I shut down the RC and re-started it. After several tries, the ESC finally shut it down.
The motors were hot enough to burn my hands.
One half hour later, I decided to "get back on that horse". I re-calibrated the RC, shut it down, and re-started everything in my normal order. The RC looked totally normal and the GO4 app looked totally normally and the Mavic looked totally ready to fly.
I did NOT want to use GO4 to launch it, because I did not want to end up right in that problem zone again. I tried to launch it using only the left stick forward, but there was no response.
That's where it sits. I am incredibly frustrated.
Any ideas?

Pull both sticks in and down let me know if that worked

I was flying mine for the first time out far to me, only about 800ft lol ill give it time, but i brought it in close and let it run low in front of me about 20ft or so id guess from the home point and was about a foot off the ground, landing it and didnt cancel the auto land countdown, then. The friggin thing went up and i grabbed her and those little engines wound up high, it sounded pissed lol. I was one handing the ipad/rc and trying to do the shutdown but never worked, i figured id hold it by its leg because battery was so low and just grabbed it, about 20 seconds it finally shut off. Was it going to climb 30 meters then move over 20ft+ to home? I didnt know what it was going to do but after reading here and the crazy stories, i wasnt about to let it go up on its own into the trees or house, would flipping it in sport mode cancel it to? I have the landing protection off, the mavic is my first drone, watched tons of videos and learned alot but its hard to bring it all together fast when something goes wrong, its not natural yet.

I too had this issue where I flew back to myself, hovered about 4 feet above ground. Remote did nothing, I grabbed it from the bottom as well, since its better than it wanting to leave and not know where it will go. I tried the Down and In with sticks, nothing. I tried to power off battery, would not power off, but the lights did some flashing. I disconnected the phone from the controller, and the controller still wasn't commanding the MP. I shut off the controller, that's when the Mavic wanted to... go home, and reved up even more. Turned the controller back on and worked to at least to do the shut down while holding it still.

There was an operator with an Inspire2 about 60 feet from me, and the his inspire 2 was well off and higher.
There was also High voltage power lines ( Metal Structured masts at 150 feet tall. ) about 500 meters away, but I was flying under them that same day and before with no issues.

I have only had that happen 1 time. I believe it was on the .500 firmware.

Looking back, The drone did not initiate RTH even though commands did not work, but only tried a RTH when the controller was powered off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143