DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How discharge batteries for mavic pro?

No.

Reactions: Hoihoi
This is too bad, on the P3 I had a plug in unit that discharged the batteries to 30% for traveling. I do not like having the Mavic sitting on my desk running just to discharge the batteries. Ideally I could fly a day or two before travel and just leave them at 30%, but this isn't always possible. I have a couple of USB devices, one a fan the other a light, and will see how long it takes to discharge with them plugged into the USB adapter.

Or use the USB adapter to discharge your batteries into a phone/tablet. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure that would be a bit faster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pedro
To quote DJI.
"The Intelligent Flight Battery for Mavic from DJI has its own integrated battery-management system with bright LED's that takes into account everything from remaining voltage, amount of power being used, temperature, and more to calculate remaining flight times, so you always know when to head home. It also has a host of protection mechanisms in place to prevent overcharging and over draining, both of which can damage a LiPo battery permanently. When placed in longer term storage, LiPo batteries should only be kept at 50% charge. Any more or less could cause permanent damage. If left unused, DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries will discharge power until 50% to maintain good health. The batteries can be charged with the Mavic Battery Charger or Mavic Battery Charging Hub.

If you live in a cold place or plan to fly on a winter break, low-temperature protection will activate. This controls available propulsion power based on the temperature of the battery, so that only a fully-warmed-up battery can offer full power."

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Bumpfus and Skydog
To quote DJI.
"The Intelligent Flight Battery for Mavic from DJI has its own integrated battery-management system with bright LED's that takes into account everything from remaining voltage, amount of power being used, temperature, and more to calculate remaining flight times, so you always know when to head home. It also has a host of protection mechanisms in place to prevent overcharging and over draining, both of which can damage a LiPo battery permanently. When placed in longer term storage, LiPo batteries should only be kept at 50% charge. Any more or less could cause permanent damage. If left unused, DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries will discharge power until 50% to maintain good health. The batteries can be charged with the Mavic Battery Charger or Mavic Battery Charging Hub.

If you live in a cold place or plan to fly on a winter break, low-temperature protection will activate. This controls available propulsion power based on the temperature of the battery, so that only a fully-warmed-up battery can offer full power."

We are well aware of what the manual says, what we are referring to is the requirement by the TSA and 'some' airlines to fly with batteries at a 'low' state of charge. I have flown with my P3 many times and the battery charge was checked only a couple of times, but once is too many if you haven't discharged them. I normally discharge my batteries to 25% for flying just in case I get an **** TSA agent, either by flying a day or so before, or using a clip on conditioner. With the included USB battery adapter it will make thing easier. Some people have flown with their batteries many times without issue, but it only takes once to ruin a vacation.

There's a setting in the GO app which lets you specify the time period before battery discharges isn't there?

There's a setting in the GO app which lets you specify the time period before battery discharges isn't there?
Yes. That could take up to four days to complete though in the best case scenario.

Reactions: Skydog
Thought the thread was titled "How to discharge batteries for Mavic". Guess I missed the travel component. Glad you are "Well Aware". Just trying to assist. I have had my P2 and P3 on a few dozen international and domestic flights. Security never opened the case. For whatever it is worth.

Cheers,
Gossen

Reactions: conchman
I had a TSA agent tell me that, and he checked each battery to be sure they were down to 25%, I looked and couldn't find it either, could be just an internal memo with them. In any case you can't argue with those dudes, unless you want to miss your flight.

Might be worth printing the TSA rules and bringing it with you, just in case. How can they expect you to know to prepare the batteries ahead of time to follow a rule that doesn't exist? Not all lithium batteries even have a charge gauge on them.

This is too bad, on the P3 I had a plug in unit that discharged the batteries to 30% for traveling. I do not like having the Mavic sitting on my desk running just to discharge the batteries. Ideally I could fly a day or two before travel and just leave them at 30%, but this isn't always possible. I have a couple of USB devices, one a fan the other a light, and will see how long it takes to discharge with them plugged into the USB adapter.
Did you ever figure out a good method to do this?

I can also see this problem on an upcoming trip. If I'm charged for a Mavic flight that never happens, I'll want to discharge before hopping on the plane home. If I didn't get the opportunity to fly, well, what are the options? I guess if you are in a large space you can just hover indoors for a while and let the battery wear down...

Somewhere I just read that DJI recommends you store the batteries at 8%. I guess, eventually, the batteries must discharge themselves to this level.

Thanks. I read that in one of those linked threads, but didn't dig back and see where it was posted.
The lowest I would store my batteries is @ 30%. As for discharging them prior to traveling or storing I either leave them at 30% after flying and only give them a full charge prior to going out for a session, or use the USB adapter and plug in a usb fan & halogen light to run it down if I can't wait for the auto-discharge. I am waiting for someone to make a discharge unit like I had for the Phantom batteries. I have not heard of any battery swelling due to storing at full charge on the Mavic batteries but some pilots have reported cracks around the power button, don't know if this was a result of that, or a manufacturing defect.

The lowest I would store my batteries is @ 30%. As for discharging them prior to traveling or storing I either leave them at 30% after flying and only give them a full charge prior to going out for a session, or use the USB adapter and plug in a usb fan & halogen light to run it down if I can't wait for the auto-discharge. I am waiting for someone to make a discharge unit like I had for the Phantom batteries. I have not heard of any battery swelling due to storing at full charge on the Mavic batteries but some pilots have reported cracks around the power button, don't know if this was a result of that, or a manufacturing defect.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Where did you find a USB HALOGEN light ????

There's no TSA rule stating you have to discharge batteries to a certain %. The only rule is you can't check them, they have to be carry on..unless installed in the electronic device. But I would never check my MP.
You can set the batteries to discharge to 65% in the DJI app.

Here's a very nice gentleman by the name of Alex Proto and he makes a discharger for all the DJI Quads.

Here's the link to his WebSite.: http://phantomangel.rocks/buynowpage.html I've been using his dischargers for a year or so now on my P3P and my P4P and now my Mavic Pro and they're very safe. He knows what he's doing and they're great for discharging DJI flight batteries.

Alex lives in Greece and ships worldwide for about $8. and the unit for the Mavic Pro is $89.00 Well worth it considering the cost of the batteries if you have to replace them.

Just scroll down the page to find the Mavic Angel and then you can pay for it right there.

I have no connection to Alex or his products except that I like them a lot.

Griz

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627