DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I view the cached video in my iPad Mini?

TrayBoz

Reactions
I have the DJI GO 4 app set to cache video to my iPad Mini 4 (the most recent 4GB anyway).

Other than using the Editor that's built into DJI GO, how can I view these videos on my iPad Mini 4?

I know that the videos are saved as .MOV files somewhere in the DJI app folder. What App can I use to find and view them on the iPad?

To I have to have a "jail-broken" iPad in order to do this?
Can I open and view them in IMOVIE or ITUNES somehow?

When I view the cached video from within the DJI GO Editor, it only displays in a small window, NOT full screen (I can't find a way to switch it to full screen), and I'd like to see a full-screen version of the video.

Any suggestions?

The cached videos play full screen on my iPad mini, only the auto made vids play as about a half size screen

The auto videos tab is selected by default when Edit starts. Is it possible you are seeing that? It shows a sample edited version of your most recent captured video. Click on the tab to the left to see your original video.

Does that mean you're watching the cached videos full-screen from within the DJI APP on the iPad Mini?

Is there another way I can access those videos, to watch them through another app, or to copy them to another device?

Thanks for your help guys. I'm relatively new to the iPad world.

I believe you need to either jailbreak your iPad, or upload your videos and other apps can then share them via iTunes. I'm a little think on IOS devices as well, so perhaps there is a better way.

But do you really want to use those copies of the video? Why not use the originals from the Mavic SD card? They are better quality, and can be loaded very quickly, using an SD reader, to other devices.

Reactions: jthjr and Skymax
I haven't tried it yet but I believe the next update (available in beta trial) has a more useable file manager system that may give access to these hidden files easier?

Just got an iPad Air 2 specifically for drone use and I'm able to view the recoded footage using the app, but only when the MP is powered up and connected.

With my Android, I can view the videos in my video file using my standard video player, but I can't seem to find any of the stored footage on the iPad :confused:

Where are they stored?

Reactions: gkrug
If the videos are recorded in 1080p, the videos can be "downloaded" to local device from the Mavic through the DJI Go app viewers. There is a blue box at the bottom of each applicable video when viewing. The videos can then be viewed in Apple's native media viewer/player.

I haven't figured out how to play 2.7k or higher resolution videos (in its native resolution) yet as the Go app doesn't allow the media to be downloaded from the Mavic.

Last edited:
Ever tried using KODI?

I apologize if it wasn't completely clear in the previous posts.

The problem isn't playing 4k media on the iPad (which I hear is not supported natively) and KODI can indeed solve that issue. Before we can use KODI...

The first challenge is the lack of a straight-forward way to access or download the high-res 2.7k or 4k video files from the Mavic onto the iPad storage (without jail breaking) so it can be viewed with other apps such as KODI. The DJI Go app will not allow direct access to download videos recorded in resolutions higher than 1080p unless there is a not-so-well-known alternate way to access the files on the Mavic to perform a file transfer onto the local iPad storage.

Found it. Plug your iPad into the Mac. Open iTunes. Click on the iPad Icon in the upper left of iTunes. Click on File Sharing. Click on the DJI Go 4 App. Download the "videoCache" folder to your Mac. Any mp4 files will have the audio that you spoke into your iPad, or iPhone at the time of flight. I then import the mp4 files into Final Cut Pro and voila, I have the video and audio all nicely available. Hope this helps!

So unless you own a Mac PC and a Mac iPad you cant do it?

How do I view the cached video in my iPad Mini 4?
Much has been written about it but it does not answer the question. The cached video and audio in iPad 4 mini does not seem to be accessible from the dji go 4 application. I have searched for the files and cannot locate them either. It is very simple in Android but I cannot understand how the IPad works. Please explain to an Apple newcomer. I got the iPad only for the Phantom pro 4 and am frustrated about my shallow learning curve.

Reactions: Skymax
For Windoze users with iPads, the process described just above by Photoshop67 is good. I'm not an Apple user, so his detail is appreciated.

The iTunes application (on Windows) is used for several tasks with the iPad. When I set up my new iPad, I did not record the passwords, PIN, etc, and had to do a complete restoration of the original software (losing my credentials and apps), and iTunes was a major factor in that process.

Retrieving logs and video from the iPad also requires iTunes. However "File Sharing" does not always appear after clicking on the iPad icon, just a list under "On My Device" of media folders (Music, Movies, TV Shows, ... ). You need to be able to see the "Settings" section, above "On My Device", and that's where "File Sharing" provides access to your iPad files.

Log files are in there as well, so that's what I need to find next. It's really nice to be able to retrieve the track file and view it in Google Earth, especially for my longer flights.

Strange, People used to buy Macintosh because they handled image media so well and were user-friendly, not with all devices it seems.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3