DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Do YOU keep your iPhone charged?

KiterTodd

Reactions
1st day of flying went well. Stayed in Beginner mode, got used to controls, but was unfortunately surprised to find out that the controller does NOT charge the iPhone? (I tried the side and then the bottom connector). As most of you know, when you plug in the phone, the charge indicator appears and then quickly goes away. :(

I thought this was a fluke, did some web searches, and found out it's unfortunately a "feature."

Was wondering if there are any hacks to allow the controller to charge the phone, and if not, how do others solve this problem?

My iPhone6 has some miles on it and I found the battery gets discharged incredibly fast.
I put the phone in Airplane mode, which helped me squeak more life out of it, but then of course I don't have GPS updates and other connectivity I need to keep in touch with the family.

Be curious to know tips for keeping it charged and using in cold weather (I read about heating pads)?

I suppose I could just buy an iPad Mini or something and use it as a dedicated control screen.

How are other Apple users resolving this issue?

Thanks!

I guess I don't understand why someone would want their controller to charge their phone, unles they are starting out flying right off the bat with a nearly dead phone.

Isn't your phone battery going to outlast that of the controller? This morning I started out with a full controller battery and a full phone battery (Galaxy S7). After two aircraft batteries worth of flying, my phone was down to about 80% and the controller was at around 55%. If the controller were to automatically charge up my phone, I would be drastically limiting my flight time assuming I started with both batteries full. Obviously it would be different with a full controller battery and a phone on 10%, but who flies like that?

My phone battery is clearly not as good as yours, Chris. My battery will not outlast the controller. This seems like a pretty common concern. While I can certainly understand why you would not want this, it's clear many would like enough of a boost from the controller to hold a charge.

Open to any Apple device suggestions folks may have.
THANK YOU! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Mavicguy65
Hmm, makes sense in your situation then. I've not been blown away by the battery life of my Samsung, so I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with the battery on my controller.

Reactions: KiterTodd
I would never take a chance charging the phone from the controller. It's much better to have the phone run out of juice rather than have the controller run our of juice while attempting to keep the phone alive.

They do make charging cases for most phones but then your going to have to buy a holder bracket since it wont fit in the Mavics slot anymore.

I use my ipad mini 3, ipad mini 2 and Iphone 6 are my back ups. I don't like using my good phone for flying. I just keep them charged before I leave.
Thanks, WCMF. The iPad mini fits in the controller nicely for you?

I'll keep my eye open for a refurbed mini or maybe just use an old iPhone, as opposed to my good phone. Seems to be good logic. (I was not sure if the Controller benefits from a cellular connected device or not.)

I would never take a chance charging the phone from the controller. It's much better to have the phone run out of juice rather than have the controller run our of juice while attempting to keep the phone alive.

They do make charging cases for most phones but then your going to have to buy a holder bracket since it wont fit in the Mavics slot anymore.
I hear ya. That's a good point. I'm probably more surprised than anything, but I'll get used to it as everyone has.

The workaround, as the engineer that I am, is it should charge the phone until the Controller battery reaches a set threshold. For instance, "provide power to phone until controller battery drops below 60%, then cease providing external power." But that's just wishing, and I'm sure you guys who've flown them a while already have a "Mavic 2 wishlist" ;) Thanks again for the reply.

Reactions: Mavicguy65
Have you tried connecting your phone via the USB Port on the bottom of the controller and then plugging the micro usb into a portable power source? This may charge both your phone and your controller at the same time but I'm not sure.

Have you tried connecting your phone via the USB Port on the bottom of the controller and then plugging the micro usb into a portable power source? This may charge both your phone and your controller at the same time but I'm not sure.

This is exactly what I did (only for Android) and it works perfectly.... I just velcro'd an extra USB power supply to the back of my controller. My Tablet last a few hours and now so does the controller... my only limitation now is the number of Mavic batteries I have... or can charge in the field :)

If money is no object, I'd reccomend the latest iPad Mini with cellular service. The wifi only iPads do not have GPS.

Once I realized my iPad Mini fits in the controller, I tried it out and now I much prefer it over my iPhone 7+. My reasons are:
  • Bigger screen, better view of camera.
  • Bigger screen, better user interface in both DJI Go 4, and Litchi.
  • My flights don't get interrupted by phone calls, notifications or text messages. (Once I disabled notifications and set the iPad to do not disturb.
  • The new DJI GS app is iPad only (although it's not a great app yet, I assume DJI will improve it over time)
If you decide to go ahead and buy a new phone, iPhone 6+ or 7+ are the best because of screen size. That's not a knock against Android phones by the way. It's just that DJI's Android development seems to lag iOS. Perhaps that will change with the P4 Pro+ which includes an integrated Android tablet.

Edit: you should also google battery saving tips for your phone.

Reactions: KiterTodd
So if I use my USB charger in my Android phone it won't steal battery life from the RC.????

Thanks, WCMF. The iPad mini fits in the controller nicely for you?

I'll keep my eye open for a refurbed mini or maybe just use an old iPhone, as opposed to my good phone. Seems to be good logic. (I was not sure if the Controller benefits from a cellular connected device or not.)
So if I use my USB charger in my Android phone it won't steal battery life from the RC.????

The bottom USB port is no different than the USB on the Inspire controller. I don't own a Phantom so I don't know what that controller ports on the phantom look like however; I think they use the same controller and that port is used for connecting your mobile device to the controller and bird. The port on the side of the mavic controller is labeled as the "power" port. I guess they named it so because that's how you charge the controller but it also functions as a way to connect to the controller and app on your mobile device.

I say all that to say, "I doubt your mobile device is pulling any power from your controller when plugged into it, I can only assume that the bottom usb port of the controller what have the pin for power disabled."

Last edited:
There is a good lightning cable that I found on eBay (having trouble with link) that works with the iPad mini's. Search 12" right angle lightning cable mavic/phantom and you'll find it. A guy out of Florida. About 23.00 shipped. I spent some $$ on a mini 2 32g cell new in box for 279.00 shipped. If there was one out there cheaper,I couldn't find it. I did check how they fit in the controller before with one a friend had, and they do fit well.

I charge the controller like MSinger does via the adapter cable and spare battery while using lower port to connect to phone. No more dead phone battery. He has a video on it here somewhere....

Fly safe... :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas