DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Do YOU keep your iPhone charged?

Be interesting to see how much the 'crystalsky' device from dji will be as this would seem to solve all of these workarounds, except not sure wether it has phone signal connectivity

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I charge the controller like MSinger does via the adapter cable and spare battery while using lower port to connect to phone. No more dead phone battery. He has a video on it here somewhere....

Fly safe... :)
which Msinger?

the lower port (USB) doesnt give the power to my iphone? any way to unlock this?

No idea. Maybe the cables. Pay attention to the cables. In video he uses a smart lead to iPhone and the lead minus the data pin to charge his controller. However the real gain is no drain of power to the controller from the phone. Works a charm using the lead DJI give with the charging hub.

I haven't tried this yet, but am I to assume that if you are charging the controller on the side port, then it WILL provide power to an Apple device connected on the bottom port?

Just double checking. Looks to be the case

My iPhone 6 would not last for even 2 batteries. It would go from 90% to 8%. I read this was an issue with some iPhone 6. I bought an iPhone 7+. Now I can fly all 5 batteries and maybe drop from 90 to 70%. I think there is an issue with the iPhone6

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

My iPhone 6 would not last for even 2 batteries. It would go from 90% to 8%. I read this was an issue with some iPhone 6. I bought an iPhone 7+. Now I can fly all 5 batteries and maybe drop from 90 to 70%. I think there is an issue with the iPhone6
The iPhone 7+ has a significantly larger battery than the iPhone 6, which could also be part of it.

Additionally, Apple claims the 7 has two hours more life than the 6. And the 7+ has an hour more than the 6+.

That said, I'm in the same boat you were in with your 6. And if I start with my battery at 50%...forget it, I can't get through one flight.

Reactions: KevinT
The iPhone 7+ has a significantly larger battery than the iPhone 6, which could also be part of it.

Additionally, Apple claims the 7 has two hours more life than the 6. And the 7+ has an hour more than the 6+.

That said, I'm in the same boat you were in with your 6. And if I start with my battery at 50%...forget it, I can't get through one flight.

Have used both normal 6 and new 7s.. with the 6 the setup with the charging lead into the top port and the iPhone lead into the bottom port meant I could fly all I wanted. Minus the charger to the controller I could get two flights and 6 was red hot..
likewise galaxy s6. iPad mini lasts but again with the charging lead into the top port of the controller I get better life. No idea why it's like this but it is..

Have used both normal 6 and new 7s.. with the 6 the setup with the charging lead into the top port and the iPhone lead into the bottom port meant I could fly all I wanted. Minus the charger to the controller I could get two flights and 6 was red hot..
likewise galaxy s6. iPad mini lasts but again with the charging lead into the top port of the controller I get better life. No idea why it's like this but it is..
I'm confused- So...the iPhone doesn't indicate that it is charging? (but it is clear it is not discharging?)

Reactions: younumpty
I'm confused- So...the iPhone doesn't indicate that it is charging? (but it is clear it is not discharging?)

From the video and my observations the iPhone six does not do well with the controller unless the controller is being charged externally. Mind you the hand book or online help in the DJI app says not to charge the controller with a power pack as it may lead to a false battery reading in the controller!
All I can say is I do what the video says and that member seems to be an encyclopaedia of knowledge. Pity I can't remember his name!
It would appear the controller is somehow draining the phone. My Phantom controller and iPhone six together last all day, but after two flights my Mavic controller drains my iPhone six and Samsung S6 dead in an hour unless I am charging the controller as I go with a cable that has no smart pin in it. Otherwise the controller does not recognise the USB port underneath and the app won't work.

Fly safe... :)

zerolemon battery on my note 5. I can charge my tablet and my phone at the same time. best battery on the market. makes the phone big though, but doesn't bother me

Reactions: younumpty
My phone battery is clearly not as good as yours, Chris. My battery will not outlast the controller. This seems like a pretty common concern. While I can certainly understand why you would not want this, it's clear many would like enough of a boost from the controller to hold a charge.

Open to any Apple device suggestions folks may have.
THANK YOU! Thumbswayup

Simple. As you are using a Lightning Connector with your iPhone. Use the USB port under the controller. Belkin makes a Y spliter now that the headphone jack is gone from the iPhone 7. The splitter will allow the phone to be charged while the other Lightning port is free to receive the Lightining connector from your cable that you attached to your controller. With the free port on the Y adapter, plug in a battery. I have not tested this as I just thought this up on the spot, but I do have a Belkin adapter. I will test this on Friday to make sure it works. You can find out about the Belkin adapter here: Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar™ | FREE GROUND SHIPPING

Okay, let me try to clearly ask this question as I THINK this is what folks are doing. I have not just tried it which admittedly would be the easiest solution...

The controller WILL charge my iphone IF the Controller is being charged at the time?

(hook battery to left side USB connector and iPhone to bottom USB connector)

Okay, let me try to clearly ask this question as I THINK this is what folks are doing. I have not just tried it which admittedly would be the easiest solution...

The controller WILL charge my iphone IF the Controller is being charged at the time?

(hook battery to left side USB connector and iPhone to bottom USB connector)

I tried it this way and in my experience the answer is no. I think the draw on the phone battery is less when it's plugged into the bottom of the controller. I have since moved to using my iPad mini and will be testing it fully very soon. I've been busy with a ton of other things.

Reactions: KevinT
I tried it this way and in my experience the answer is no. I think the draw on the phone battery is less when it's plugged into the bottom of the controller. I have since moved to using my iPad mini and will be testing it fully very soon. I've been busy with a ton of other things.
Okay, thank you.

Then I'm confused on why people are mounting batteries to the back of their setup and doing this. I suspect, as you indicated, that the controller has some draw on the phone which can be reduced with a battery.

I ordered a new 7plus, but I'm not sure if it'll be with me as soon as I'm going to need it for an upcoming trip. Currently, my fully charged phone will get me through 2 mavic batteries, in non freezing temps.

Simple. As you are using a Lightning Connector with your iPhone. Use the USB port under the controller. Belkin makes a Y spliter now that the headphone jack is gone from the iPhone 7. The splitter will allow the phone to be charged while the other Lightning port is free to receive the Lightining connector from your cable that you attached to your controller. With the free port on the Y adapter, plug in a battery. I have not tested this as I just thought this up on the spot, but I do have a Belkin adapter. I will test this on Friday to make sure it works. You can find out about the Belkin adapter here: Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar™ | FREE GROUND SHIPPING
I really hope this works. That would make my life so much easier.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3