DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many batteries is enough?

Rflush

Reactions
Just went to to my local DJI store to pick up 4 extra batteries. They had over 50 in stock. Thinking of a total of 5 is enough for a casual day out flying.

How many batteries do you guys think is suitable?

I ordered 2 more for a total of 5 as well. Too bad the car charger doesnt work well with the engine off otherwise I would only have needed three.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've got 2 with my MAVIC and another 2 ordered. When I had my P4 I found that 4 was sufficient. I just pre-ordered the P4 PRO and additional batteries aren't available yet.

Get a battery for every 20 minutes you want to fly on one outing.

Reactions: mavic53 and Kilrah
Problem with me is that when I fly, it's often during a day trip out to the mountains. I'll bring my family out for a hike and with 5 batteries I figure that gives me around 2 hours of flight. Then it's done for the day.

2 hours of flight is LONG. Really doubt you'll want to do that much or that your family will want to wait for you for 2 hours while you play, but who knows...

If you tend to go somewhere, fly, then go home, 2-3 batteries is likely plenty before you are going to get too tired to fly well. This is more of how I tend to operate. However, 5-6 would be helpful if you plan to take it for a short trip and either don't want to or won't be able to charge and want to get in multiple flight sessions in different locations.

Reactions: OCsurfer411
3 total for me

Just went to to my local DJI store to pick up 4 extra batteries. They had over 50 in stock. Thinking of a total of 5 is enough for a casual day out flying.

Which local DJI store had these in stock? Finding batteries has been harder than finding the drones!

I have 4 with my P3P, and only once used them all, even when abroad, so I reckon the 3 will do me with the Mavic, particularly with the car charger. Over an hour of flying will give you a cricked neck ;)

Reactions: Akoztha
Unlike horsepower, with batteries, I think there can be too much. If you have more than you'll realistically need in an outing, it becomes logistically difficult to rotate through them in a timely manner. Of course, they'll self discharge to minimize damage from being stored fully charged, but that just means in many/most cases, when you go to grab #4 or #5, it's probably half-dead and needs to be charged anyway before flight.

With the Phantom 3 I had three but rarely used more than two in one outing, you just end up with so much video to go through but if you were on holiday with more time an extra one would be good.
I have an inverter for the car so can recharge from that but it might struggle to top up as quick as you used them with only two

I've never managed to empty all 3 of mine on an outing so far.
Yep, same here. Even on a full day at the RC park, I may have to charge on on the car charger if I'm flying A LOT, but 90% if the time, 3 batteries is more than enough. The car charger seems about 20-25% faster than the wall charger as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MavicPilots mobile app

I have 7 Batteries for my Solo and 5 for my Inspire. I've ordered the Fly More package and I doubt I'll need any more than the 3 batts I'll have but that's yet to be known. If I'm being liberal and hoping to get 20 minutes of "flight" time per battery, an hour may not be enough once you fly the route, figure out the best angles, run through practice runs then hope to get the shot, that 20 mins could get swallowed up rather quickly. At 20 minutes per scene, you're looking at 3 scenes a day/outing may not be enough but like I said, it's yet to be known.

Reactions: kykayak
3 is sufficient.

What sucks about battery is the warranty. I think DJI is 6 months warranty. Lets say the batteries have issues after 30 cycles. If you have 1 battery, it will take you 30 cycles to find out that the battery has issues. If you have 3 batteries and you rotate, it will take you 90 cycles to find out that you have issues and by then your warranty may of lapsed. What's worse when users don't fly in the winters for 3 months and then find out their warranty has lapsed. DJI knows this and they should be looking at how many cycles over a space of 2 years instead of the lousy 6 months.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje