How many Mavic orders

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dronebow, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Dronebow

Dronebow Well-Known Member

I'm curious if anyone knows how many Mavic orders worldwide in the first week of the launch? This was enormously successful but it is an expensive drone. Just curious...

2. mike venziano

mike venziano Member

i have one in assembly so count me in 1

3. schpenxel

schpenxel Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone knows. People have posted crazy numbers like a million units, etc. but I highly doubt that's right.

4. Mavic

Mavic Member

I know that my DJI dealer order 1000.

5. Dronebow

Dronebow Well-Known Member

They ordered 1000 because they had that many customer's order or because they wanted them in stock??

6. Anthony

Anthony Well-Known Member

7. Raptorman

Raptorman Well-Known Member

Don't know but my guess is the preorder will perhaps amount to about 2% of the total sales over the life of the product. I'd estimate that over that lifecycle DJI will sell about 1.25M so I'd guess the worldwide preorders were in the range of 25K. If they are actually making about 1500/day then they'd be able to deliver all the preorders in less than 3 weeks IF they were not diverting some of the production to other customers. I'd therefore surmise that perhaps 750/day is going to fullfile preorders so that should address the preorders in about 5 weeks.

They need to be outputting over 5K/day and more like 10K/day to handle in a timly fashion the orders at this time of the year (Christmas).

Brian

8. hidaven

hidaven Active Member

Easily over a million worldwide.......Easily.

9. schpenxel

Not a chance

10. Anthony Viscomi

Anthony Viscomi Well-Known Member

Easily? a million units in 6-8 weeks is a bit high, especially when your target market is small and your price point is $1k. Drones aren't like cell phones, not everyone needs or wants one.

11. hidaven

hidaven Active Member

Worldwide def. a million......You'd be surprised how big the market has gotten, especially with the collapse of the Karma.

12. HeliFreak

HeliFreak Well-Known Member

I doubt it's a million. If we are going to guess I'd say the back log is 100,000-150,000 to date..First week, 50k units due to the wow factor. They can probably put out about 1k per day and are hopefully ramping up maybe 3-4 more lines similar for a 5k per day output. This stuff takes time you have to build more lines, train assemblers, handle outsourcing ugh, push your sub contractors for more and higher quality parts, tools, fixtures, test stations, process flow and control, qc qc qc.

13. schpenxel

A million units would be over a billion in sales. DJI was supposedly about a billion dollars/year revenue in 2015 between all of their current products. No way one new product, just in the first month or two of pre/initial sales, matched everything else combined for a full year. Not to mention some of the other products are way more expensive, so it would take even more units of Mavic to match their sales dollars.

I think they could potentially sell a million of them in a full year, but not just in pre/initial orders.

But it really doesn't matter. At this point all the people that have ordered just want the thing already..

14. Raptorman

Raptorman Well-Known Member

I think DJI will sell more than a million ... in a year and a half, but a million in a few weeks, yeah, no!

It is possible they had orders in the quarter million range and that as word spread that's increased to half a million but I do not see a million orders by the end of the year.

Brian

15. FPVJunkie

FPVJunkie Well-Known Member

How long did the "Pre-Order" last? I ordered mine on 10/27, but I can't remember if it was still a pre-order or just a regular order. I wish I wouldn't have waited, but had to make sure I had the funds, plus I'm deployed until the end of Jan, so I wouldn't have been able to fly it anyways. :)

16. Anthony Viscomi

Anthony Viscomi Well-Known Member

Yeah, the 2,500 Karmas' that were sold in 2+ weeks will surely push MAVIC pre-orders over 1 million ;)

HeliFreak, schpenxel and ManniAT like this.
  17. SNew76

SNew76 Active Member

I would guess maybe half a million to date would be a more reasonable estimate. If Apple can sell 10 million phones in one weekend why couldn't DJI sell a million drones.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

18. schpenxel

Because 1 in 10 people don't have drones?

19. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Well-Known Member

20. SNew76

SNew76 Active Member

I'm basing my numbers on the fact that as of June 2016 there were approximately 500,000 drones registered with the FAA. Also the DJI launch video was viewed 2.1 million times on YouTube. The Mavic has also been reviewed by many different media platforms putting in in front of people that would otherwise not have heard of the Mavic. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots