DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many new Mavic owners have already registered with the FAA?

CactusJackSlade

Reactions
Have you registered?

Just a reminder :) and of course it helps to make everyone aware of your flying responsibilities by reviewing the rules when you register...

I did :)

FYI, if anyone needs to register, you can do it here on the FAA's website.

That's correct lightspeed, if your a hobbiest. I hate the fact that even FAA says you need to register your drone.... As a hobbiest, you do not register drones. You register yourself as a drone pilot and then you get a number that's assigned to you. So then, you can have hundreds of drones all with the same number.

Now, as a Commercial pilot, I need to register each of my professional drones separately. And yes, I have registered my Mavic for my business. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using MavicPilots mobile app

While it is you that must register, you get a number that you must apply to your drones. It's a small number (I seem to recall it was five or eight) that is covered. Not hundreds.

It's a small number (I seem to recall it was five or eight) that is covered. Not hundreds.
Can you link us to the source where you found that information?

Can you link us to the source where you found that information?
I checked the register my drone FAA site, and couldn't find the information on how to apply the registration number to your UAS. You can put it on the outside or on the inside in a spot like the batter compartment. I couldn't find any of those details and I recall seeing that information right after I registered. I logged into my account and ask it to email me a copy of my registration but so far I haven't found this information again. It's got to be lurking somewhere. Tried places like the FAQs but no luck yet.

I've never seen such information either. There should be no such limitation since you're only registering yourself.

I've never seen such information either. There should be no such limitation since you're only registering yourself.

That's what I thought up until the time I registered and got the instructions for using the registration number. I was surprised to see that. That was six months ago so perhaps things have changed but I'd be surprised by that. Perhaps someone who is registering now can report what information they get.

Here's the email I received from the FAA after I registered on their website:

Registered.jpg

Reactions: David_Paz
Yeah, I just got the same when I did a re-email on my certificate. They didn't include the instructions on using the registration number. Note, the number is NOT an airman number but a UAS registration number so while you own the number, it's is not technically you that is registered but rather a your UAS's. A technical and rather fine distinction. I still couldn't location the darn instructions online....maybe I am going crazy...

the number is NOT an airman number but a UAS registration number so while you own the number, it's is not technically you that is registered but rather a your UAS's.
If we're talking about a hobbyist registering with the FAA to fly for hobby purposes (I am), then the registration is technically registering the pilot and not the aircraft. The FAA doesn't even collect information about the aircraft during the registration process.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
Frequently Asked Questions | Know Before You Fly

Q: Do I have to register every aircraft I own?

A: No. Recreational operators only need to register once. Once you receive a FAA registration number you can put that same number on all of the aircraft you own that meet the weight requirement. However, you must have a copy of the registration certificate on your person whenever you fly any of these aircraft.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
Frequently Asked Questions | Know Before You Fly

Q: Do I have to register every aircraft I own?

A: No. Recreational operators only need to register once. Once you receive a FAA registration number you can put that same number on all of the aircraft you own that meet the weight requirement. However, you must have a copy of the registration certificate on your person whenever you fly any of these aircraft.
Yes, that's what I am talking about but if you look at your certificate (or mine), it says it is a "UAS certificate of registration". I am pretty sure I'm not a UAS.

The wording might be misleading, but there is no doubt this process was put in place to track you (rather than your UAS). If you crash your UAS and don't come to collect it, the FAA will know where to look ;)

Reactions: beachcombing
While it is you that must register, you get a number that you must apply to your drones. It's a small number (I seem to recall it was five or eight) that is covered. Not hundreds.
Yes, that's what I am talking about but if you look at your certificate (or mine), it says it is a "UAS certificate of registration". I am pretty sure I'm not a UAS.
But you might "be a UAS" for the "five or eight that are covered"? ;)

The wording might be misleading, but there is no doubt this process was put in place to track you (rather than your UAS). If you crash your UAS and don't come to collect it, the FAA will know where to look ;)

Yup. I think that's what they are doing.

That's correct lightspeed, if your a hobbiest. I hate the fact that even FAA says you need to register your drone.... As a hobbiest, you do not register drones. You register yourself as a drone pilot and then you get a number that's assigned to you. So then, you can have hundreds of drones all with the same number.

Now, as a Commercial pilot, I need to register each of my professional drones separately. And yes, I have registered my Mavic for my business. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using MavicPilots mobile app

Were you already a commercial pilot, or did you take the steps to become a sUAS pilot? I've heard it's somewhat easy to get if you have a background in aviation. I have my BS in Aeronautics from ERAU plus I've been working on aircraft for 18 years or so, but I'll definitely still need to study for the exam. Just curious how hard it was to obtain.

Another question: Well I think I know the answer already... since DJI's vTX operates off of 2.4Ghz, do you need a HAM radio license? I know for all of my 5.8ghz gear, I'm supposed to have one, but it's just another thing on my "list" that I need to complete.

Reactions: Bigfoot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian