DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Many Options are missing from the Android version of the app

Anthony

Reactions
How Many Options are missing from the Android version of the DJI GO app ??

I know that the manual focus option is not in the Android version are there other functions missing ??

1 Manual Focus
2 Buddy Chat - For VR Headset
3 Cell Voltage - Display on main screen ( lowest voltage needs to be displayed )

Last edited:
Mine is missing the buttons for 'buddy chat'. When using the new dji goggles you're suppose be able to talk to your buddy/group that you are flying with.

The main screen displays the total voltage, not the voltage of the lowest cell, which is what you want to keep an eye on...

The main screen displays the total voltage, not the voltage of the lowest cell, which is what you want to keep an eye on...
No, you want the lowest cell voltage like it shows on the iOS app. If you have a bad cell, total voltage can be fine even though the one cell is approaching a critical level. Once the cell completely discharges, the Mavic could power off mid flight.

Reactions: The Editor
Once the cell completely discharges, the Mavic could power off mid flight.

are u sure of that statement ? i would definately expect the % of battery displayed in the main screen is the only valid battery measure one needs to take care about to keep a safe flight...

i, for one, never knew about that "lowest cell"indication and i am sure 99,99 % of future MAVIC users would have no idea about what that is...

do they even mention this in the user's manual ? if yes can you copy/past the mention please ?

For me as long as the % of battery displayed in main screen is enough (like 2 digits) you're safe to fly...and i understand that DJI built those "intelligent batteries" as to activate Return To Home automatically when battery level is too low in regards to TAKE OFF position...so about "MAVIC power off mid flight"...hmm you might be confusing with KARMA drone from GO PRO...

Last edited:
are u sure of that statement ? i would definately expect the % of battery displayed in the main screen is the only valid battery measure one needs to take care about to keep a safe flight...

i, for one, never knew about that "lowest cell"indication and i am sure 99,99 % of future MAVIC users would have no idea about what that is...

do they even mention this in the user's manual ? if yes can you copy/past the mention please ?

For me as long as the % of battery displayed in main screen is enough (like 2 digits) you're safe to fly...and i understand that DJI built those "intelligent batteries" as to activate Return To Home automatically when battery level is too low in regards to TAKE OFF position...so about "MAVIC power off mid flight"...hmm you might be confusing with KARMA drone from GO PRO...
Yeah, there's a lot missing from the manual. The problem is that a bad cell will lose voltage rapidly. The first and last post of the following thread are good reads.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/index.php?threads/2206/

Reactions: The Editor
yeah but those links are related to INSPIRE...MAVIC does not have same battery as INSPIRE , so can it be compared

and again the percentage displayed on the MAIN screen should be all the user needs to take care about imho

yeah but those links are related to INSPIRE...MAVIC does not have same battery as INSPIRE , so can it be compared

and again the percentage displayed on the MAIN screen should be all the user needs to take care about imho
Seems like you really know your stuff! Lol

well i don't pretend i know more than you...actually i know very little since i have the MAVIC since just a couple of weeks...you probably have your since longer than me (probably not that much longer though)

but i was stunned about your statement that the MAVIC can suddenly "power off mid air" wihout user to be aware of the battery situation...

I always read everywhere that the intelligent battery would activate RTH in case critical level of battery...and i understand the % battery level displayed in MAIN SCREEN is the most important figure to monitor battery...otherwise why they would hide a more important measure deep inside advanced menus ?

Then you put a link to an INSPIRE thread : i didn't get full time yet to dig into this thread but i was wondering how batteries of MAVIC and INSPIRE can be compared in the first place.

Are they the same ?

Absolutely not.
Percentage is relative whereas voltage is absolute. The percentage displayed is prone to errors due to the fact it is estimated based on algorithms that take into account increased internal resistance, depleting cell capacity, number of charge/discharge cycles and potential difference drop across cells under load. The problem is it is only an estimation and without regular recalibration the logic can misread what it considers 'empty' and 'full' batteries.
Flying on lowest cell voltage will be far more accurate than an estimated percentage number.
Cells (and especially as packs age) will track at differing rates and the imbalance shifts as the pack is depleted. Keeping an eye on the lowest cell voltage is paramount to ensuring the pack does not suddenly drop in capacity whilst in flight as well as warning you early of a potentially weak or faulty cell.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmaluo
The Editor, i understand that explanation

But then again why those engineers at DJI don't make that "lowest cell" input more obvious if there is such danger of seeing a MAVIC fall off the sky even when the user sees that battery percentage is good...

The Editor, i understand that explanation

But then again why those engineers at DJI don't make that "lowest cell" input more obvious if there is such danger of seeing a MAVIC fall off the sky even when the user sees that battery percentage is good...
The DJI engineers often get things wrong. They advised on many of their platforms to always do a compass calibration before every flight which was rediculous and actually bad advice!
The problem I believe stem from the fact that they have tried to make (certainly the Mavic) foolproof to fly but in actual fact there are still fundamental things that can go wrong. Keeping an eye on lowest cell voltage under load will serve you much better than a percentage figure but DJI are trying to simplify things as much as possible so users have less to look at concentrate on.

No, you want the lowest cell voltage like it shows on the iOS app. If you have a bad cell, total voltage can be fine even though the one cell is approaching a critical level. Once the cell completely discharges, the Mavic could power off mid flight.

That's what I meant... There's a bug in the android version of the app that displays the total voltage, not the lowest cell voltage, which is what you need to monitor the state of the battery pack...

Reactions: kmaluo
The DJI engineers often get things wrong. They advised on many of their platforms to always do a compass calibration before every flight which was rediculous and actually bad advice!

But at least on one version on their manual it says only to do compass calibration ONLY when requested by MAVIC

The problem I believe stem from the fact that they have tried to make (certainly the Mavic) foolproof to fly but in actual fact there are still fundamental things that can go wrong. Keeping an eye on lowest cell voltage under load will serve you much better than a percentage figure but DJI are trying to simplify things as much as possible so users have less to look at concentrate on

But how easy it is to concentrate on the flight and many obstacles left and right AND at same time constantly navigating through hidden menus to monitor lowest cell menu ??

if they wanted to make it idiot proof really they would have put that critical information more upfront...especially if it can endanger people

But at least on one version on their manual it says only to do compass calibration ONLY when requested by MAVIC

But how easy it is to concentrate on the flight and many obstacles left and right AND at same time constantly navigating through hidden menus to monitor lowest cell menu ??

if they wanted to make it idiot proof really they would have put that critical information more upfront...especially if it can endanger people
It is on iOS but a bug on Android (which is what we are on about).
It NEEDS to be accessible on both platforms which currently it isn't.

^^^ok get it

hope it will come quickly then as i use ANDROID

with Phantom, DJI GO 3.0.1 shows voltage of the lowest cell
so I believe it's just some communication problem between Mavic (or its RC) and the DJI GO

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121