DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often do the blades need to be changed?

bon_foto

Reactions
Just got my Mavic Pro and woundering how often do I need to change the blades.

Inspect them carefully for damage prior to each flight. Change them when they are damaged.

Reactions: MavicMo
No damage is normal. Other than scuff marks from folding them, they should be as pristine as the day you unwrapped them.

Please post a detailed photo.

I'm very new to this. Sorry about silly question...

Attachments

• IMG_9315.JPG
    IMG_9315.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 514
I would replace it if i had a spare but keep it as ur back up spare its most definately usable. I doubt that its out of balance becuz of that chip.
If it makes an unusual new sound, flys different or shows any signs of change from normal then its ready to toss. Otherwise ur fine. Forget about it

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Logger
I believe this small cut is considered damage and shouldn't be used , right?
6c80c39a8557409f03c922bff6ab844d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Don't use that! The crack will spread under flight load and the blade may disintegrate with the imbalance. Your drone will crash if that happens!

Reactions: ksmusa
Both of those blades should be RED X'd, taken out of service at once. The force applied to a blade is in direct relation to how far it is from the tip, the tip being where it is the greatest due to centrifugal force. Cracks or chips anywhere on the blade renders them not safe for flight. Destroy them so you won't grab it be accident when installing the blades. I for one never store or transport the Mavic with the blades installed, I always remove them and place them in a felt bag (the one supplied by DJI is great)

That chipped blade was after my third flight. On that flight there were strong winds and maybe a few rain drops. There was absolutely no accidental touch of the blade to any obstacle and the landing happened to a clear terrain. I am wondering how that small cut happened. Was it the winds, or maybe it was me trying to take out the bird from its leather case it came with (combo box) .....

Last edited:
...I am wondering how that small cut happened. Was it the winds, or maybe it was me trying to take out the bird from its leather case it came with (combo box) .....

Yes it is a bit odd being on the rear of the blade. Almost like it got crushed or snagged somewhere. Like you said it may have got caught in the case. I would replace it but others might not.

I would be interested to hear from others who, have happily flown for long periods trouble free with props that are not "as new". Conversely has anyone had a documented Mavic prop failure in flight who can show us it's condition before hand? ie speak from experience.

Last edited:
That chipped blade was after my third flight. On that flight there were strong winds and maybe a few rain drops. There was absolutely no accidental touch of the blade to any obstacle and the landing happened to a clear terrain. I am wondering how that small cut happened. Was it the winds, or maybe it was me trying to take out the bird from its leather case it came with (combo box) .....

My guess could be hitting bugs in the air possibly

I herd every 24 hours you should change them unless you chip the ends a little

I have flown a real airplane with 6 inches of blade tip broken, and it was bumpy but I landed safely

I would happily use that blade.

I would not. the imbalance on the motor bearings and potential for AC loss is not worth it.

Elon Musk commented in the last few weeks about this sort of attitude to aircraft maintenance and why we don't have flying cars yet. people don't understand why aircraft maintenance is so critical, when something breaks inflight it's not just a matter of coasting to the side of the road like it is in your car.

Reactions: ksmusa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929