DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Often Do You Calibrate?

Etopsflight

Reactions
Guys

Perhaps I should say, how often does your controller ask you to calibrate?

I am seeing it about 95% of the flights I have flown, even if I am in the same place taking off from the same exact spot.

Another problem I have is that after calibration, my gimba is askew and need to do a power reset to get to level again.

Anybody having the same problem(s) with their MP's? I have 3 friends who are MP owners and I never seeing the calibrating!

I can understand if you move vastly from one place to another but I live in Hong Kong which is not a big place. I read another thread about iPhone compass calibration and have made a setting adjustment, need to see if this rectifies my problem.

Cheers
Etops

Guys

Perhaps I should say, how often does your controller ask you to calibrate?

I am seeing it about 95% of the flights I have flown, even if I am in the same place taking off from the same exact spot.

Another problem I have is that after calibration, my gimba is askew and need to do a power reset to get to level again.

Anybody having the same problem(s) with their MP's? I have 3 friends who are MP owners and I never seeing the calibrating!

I can understand if you move vastly from one place to another but I live in Hong Kong which is not a big place. I read another thread about iPhone compass calibration and have made a setting adjustment, need to see if this rectifies my problem.

Cheers
Etops

For my compass I calibrate every time even if it shows green and good. Makes me feel better knowing it is working. The IMU I only did once since I got it a month ago. Not sure how often that should be.

Mike

Reactions: Rbruz
Mike

Yeah, the IMU I also calibrated once since new (Dec).

Biggest pain is not the calibration, it's the askew gimbal and the power off-on sequence. Feel this should not be happening and can't find anyone else talking about it.

Cheers
Etops

For my compass I calibrate every time even if it shows green and good. Makes me feel better knowing it is working. The IMU I only did once since I got it a month ago. Not sure how often that should be.

Mike
Why? Even if it shows green? Not looking to kick a bear, just curious why if it shows things are all good. This has always been my biggest question. I'm a noob as they say, but I don't calibrate and have had no problems.

Why? Even if it shows green? Not looking to kick a bear, just curious why if it shows things are all good. This has always been my biggest question. I'm a noob as they say, but I don't calibrate and have had no problems.

You hear so much about flyaways and I feel compass is important. So I do it to feel better if I fly in a new area.

Mike

Ok are you seeing that when you start the app and the info pops up on firmware and other stuff? If that's the case then look at the compass info INSIDE the app where you see IMU and compass info if it's all green it's all good yellow or red then move a few feet or recalibrate at that point...

I always seem to get a exclamation mark when I start app and compass is always listed there but it won't activate calibration from that spot. I always go into settings

I assume it shouldn't be a problem to calibrate more often, but to me most fly away stories start with "I calibrated before I took off". From what I've read, if done correctly, calibrations are great. But if not, you are setting up trouble. I just figure I will do it when instructed to. And I just kicked the old hornets nest. Time to hear that I am wrong and irresponsible. [emoji4]

So when should IMU be calibrated? Also.... I have never calibrated the joysticks for my controller. I believe I read that this was done before shipment. I hope that is accurate or should I do this also atleast once?

So far I haven't had any issues with my Mavic thank God.

MY OPINION. Calibrate if asked to. If you have no issues why worry? Again, I'm prepared to hear why I'm wrong.

I've had my Mavic for 3 months and all I did was calibrate the compass once and updated firmware and have had no problems at all. So far so good.

Guys

I'll try the suggestions above.

Today I had to calibrate, after my gimbal was askew. I powered down and up again. After power up, I had to calibrate again! I then recalibrate do the gimbal before flight!

Cheers
Etops

Well sounds like I shouldn't need to calibrate this each time. Thanks for the feedback. Makes me feel better hearing this from multiple people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo