DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often do you forget to remove the Gimbal Clamp?

If you attach something like this to the gimbal lock, you won't forget to remove it ;)

Last edited:
I bought a P3S a few months ago, took the gimbal lock off, and never used it again. Please don't tell me I damaged my gimbal by doing so (no visible damage seen - gimbal itself, or video). I've had the Mavic a few days and have done the same. PLEASE ALERT ME IF THERE'S A DOCUMENTED CASE OF DAMAGING THE GIMBAL (OTHER THAN BASHING IT AGAINST SOMETHING) BY LEAVING THE LOCK OFF so I can start using that sucker on my P3S (if I can find it) and on my new Mavic!
Thanks.

Reactions: GooterFly68
PLEASE ALERT ME IF THERE'S A DOCUMENTED CASE OF DAMAGING THE GIMBAL (OTHER THAN BASHING IT AGAINST SOMETHING) BY LEAVING THE LOCK OFF
There's no need to keep the gimbal lock on if you're not transporting (e.g. in a car or plane) your Mavic (or Phantom). If you are though, then it would be a good idea to reattach the gimbal lock to prevent the gimbal from flopping around. It is certainly possible to damage it. That's why the lock was invented ;)

There's no need to keep the gimbal lock on if you're not transporting (e.g. in a car or plane) your Mavic (or Phantom). If you are though, then it would be a good idea to reattach the gimbal lock to prevent the gimbal from flopping around. It is certainly possible to damage it. That's why the lock was invented ;)

I disagree Msinger take a look at my post regarding the gimbal.

I can get it to slip out of the shell by jiggling it around.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

So what, if any damage does it do if you start up the Mavic without having already taken the gimbal lock off? I did it a few times with my P2V+ awhile back and I was always so mad that I did...but I wasn't sure if I truly did any damage. Of course, I know it isn't a good idea but does anyone know if it really breaks anything? Just curious...

So what, if any damage does it do if you start up the Mavic without having already taken the gimbal lock off? I did it a few times with my P2V+ awhile back and I was always so mad that I did...but I wasn't sure if I truly did any damage. Of course, I know it isn't a good idea but does anyone know if it really breaks anything? Just curious...
The GO app will warn you that it's still on.

I thought DJI released an update to deal with this ...
I've never seen DJI mention anything like this in their updates. On the other hand, I don't often see people mention their gimbal was damaged by leaving the lock on (I'm referring to other DJI aircraft). I'm with kmaluo on this one though. I think there is a point where the gimbal would eventually heat up enough to cause permanent damage. For example, if someone kept the gimbal lock on for an entire flight.

I've never seen DJI mention anything like this in their updates. On the other hand, I don't often see people mention their gimbal was damaged by leaving the lock on (I'm referring to other DJI aircraft). I'm with kmaluo on this one though. I think there is a point where the gimbal would eventually heat up enough to cause permanent damage. For example, if someone kept the gimbal lock on for an entire flight.

This is from the DJI site ....

Date : 2016.10.21

Firmware : v01.02.0800

DJI GOApp iOS: v3.0.1

DJI GO AppAndroid: v3.0.0

 Optimized the Return-to-Home and Landing (refer to the user manual for details).

 Reduced descent issue caused from flying indoors to outdoors.

Minimized an overheating issue resulting from not removing the gimbal clamp after powering on the aircraft.

 Improved the stability of the aircraft when switching between Portrait and Landscape.

 Optimized the ActiveTrack experience, keeping moving subjectsincenter frame more effectively and smoothing footage.

 Optimized control parameters to improve the flight experience.

 Fixed occasional issue of GPS signal loss.

However if the drone can detect that the clamp is still in place would it not be better to just stop you from taking off ???

Reactions: jeffreydepp
Thanks. I don't think that's going to help if someone takes off and flies for 20+ minutes though. I know it sounds unbelievable, but I've seen someone damage a gimbal over at Phantom Pilots like that.

Thanks. I don't think that's going to help if someone takes off and flies for 20+ minutes though. I know it sounds unbelievable, but I've seen someone damage a gimbal over at Phantom Pilots like that.
I think you're right, I think that update is mainly for leaving the Clamp on when you're using the flight Sim or doing a firmware update.

has anyone had damage from not removing it and just turning it on? because sometime i forget as well, and gives me gimbal error everytime

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura