DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How our Mavic saved us after a snow storm

Sparky

Reactions
Thought I would share this little story about how our neighbor and with the use of our drone saved us from having no running water during this snow storm. We live remotely off the grid in a dome on a hilltop in the Siskiyou mountains of Southern Oregon. It got very cold and the DC water pump froze and blew the fuse, and the backup fuse turns out it was blown also which meant no water. It has been heavily snowing for days and our very long driveway was deep in snow making getting out to get a replacement fuse not really an option. We have a wonderful neighbor who does lumberjack kinda stuff for a living and we do bartering favors for each other. I called him and it turned out he was in his truck near the hardware store and offered to pickup the fuses and bring them up to us. On the security cameras we watched as he tried numerous times to get up our driveway to no avail. What to do now? Well it turns out I just recently acquired a little dji mavic drone and have been starting to learn how to fly it. So I told my friend to drive to his house which is a few thousand feet away and that I would put a wire hook onto the drone and fly over and land on his truck where he could attach the fuses to it. The below photo I took of my friend as I was lifting off and flying back home with the fuses. Now we have water! Sometimes it pays to be resourceful when you live independently and remotely away from the city.fusedeliveryflight.jpg domeonthehill.jpg

I like your living style. Nice little story with your Mavic. Maybe for the future you need an aircraft lifting more weight ;-) (Just kidding)

Greetings from Germany - still on grid ...
Stay safe!

Thought I would share this little story about how our neighbor and with the use of our drone saved us from having no running water during this snow storm. We live remotely off the grid in a dome on a hilltop in the Siskiyou mountains of Southern Oregon. It got very cold and the DC water pump froze and blew the fuse, and the backup fuse turns out it was blown also which meant no water. It has been heavily snowing for days and our very long driveway was deep in snow making getting out to get a replacement fuse not really an option. We have a wonderful neighbor who does lumberjack kinda stuff for a living and we do bartering favors for each other. I called him and it turned out he was in his truck near the hardware store and offered to pickup the fuses and bring them up to us. On the security cameras we watched as he tried numerous times to get up our driveway to no avail. What to do now? Well it turns out I just recently acquired a little dji mavic drone and have been starting to learn how to fly it. So I told my friend to drive to his house which is a few thousand feet away and that I would put a wire hook onto the drone and fly over and land on his truck where he could attach the fuses to it. The below photo I took of my friend as I was lifting off and flying back home with the fuses. Now we have water! Sometimes it pays to be resourceful when you live independently and remotely away from the city.View attachment 8223 View attachment 8224

Love it!

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Great story! And no pesky neighbors trying to shoot your Mavic down due to privacy issues! (I live in the Bay Area where drones are prohibited in most places-only one officially-sanctioned public park for flying: Baylands in Sunnyvale.)

Reactions: Sparky
i like how you think. its good you can find other ways to use your mavic.
hope the weather is better now.

Good thinking mate!

I just want to point out a little warning about landing and maybe especially taking of from a car. I did this few times since I'm located at 66 degrees north and there is usually quite amount of snow on the ground.

The last time I did this the mavic went ***********, it set max hight to 5 meters because of compass error caused by interference from the car. Than instead of use its brain (sensors) to hoover it took away to the side with my right joystick on the remote disabled, (mode 2) and crippled ability to go up into save Hights I watched it crash into a roadsign at the end of the road, or so it seemed, it went at most 1mm from it. I'm even quite sure it touched the sign, but got lucky this time.

Needless to say, I got myself a photography reflector to land and take off from (very portable and great landing port)

Cool story, just like Laura Ingles Wilder.
Regards,
-d.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+