DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How secure is OcuSync

Splashy

Reactions
How easy is it to tap into an OcuSync feed and does that feed contain an identifier that could be used to trace the handset/drone used.

Not that I think it is a problem for me but could it be used to track down the idiots who put UAV flying in jeopardy for example flying over a stadium or an event.

Completely valid point but I'm not sure how much feedback we'll have on this quite yet...maybe DJI Ed and Tahoe could provide some insight? Will be interesting to see..thanks for raising the discussion.

Like Lightbridge it's encrypted, Lightbridge has not been hacked to this day, as for tracking a user via the wireless link it's extremely unlikely, you could find the direction of the signal but that's it.

It's an extremely secure system unlike the Wifi other manufactures use with a standard SSID and key.

Reactions: Advexure
Above my pay grade, but if

A. OcuSync is integral to the link to a bound controller (or goggles)
B. that link is using any spread spectrum technique

then you could venture that the security will be reasonably close to any other spread spectrum system:

"The spreading code (in DS systems) or the frequency-hopping pattern (in FH systems) is often unknown by anyone for whom the signal is unintended, in which case it obscures the signal and reduces the chance of an adversary's making sense of it. Moreover, for a given noise power spectral density (PSD), spread-spectrum systems require the same amount of energy per bit before spreading as narrowband systems and therefore the same amount of power if the bitrate before spreading is the same, but since the signal power is spread over a large bandwidth, the signal PSD is much lower — often significantly lower than the noise PSD — so that the adversary may be unable to determine whether the signal exists at all." - Wikipedia

Like Lightbridge it's encrypted, Lightbridge has not been hacked to this day, as for tracking a user via the wireless link it's extremely unlikely, you could find the direction of the signal but that's it.

It's an extremely secure system unlike the Wifi other manufactures use with a standard SSID and key.

Hey Mad, good to see you over here on MP! Just curious what the source is for your point on LB not being hacked to this day? Has Ed or Tahoe mentioned this elsewhere? Just curious..

If it had happened, I would expect we would have heard a lot about it by now. Especially if the media found out. "Drones under terrorist control!" etc.

Hey Mad, good to see you over here on MP! Just curious what the source is for your point on LB not being hacked to this day? Has Ed or Tahoe mentioned this elsewhere? Just curious..

My understanding is it's never been openly hacked but DJI were made aware of a possible breach method by a while back and updated the LB link encryption to prevent that

That was the last big update on all the products that required both craft and controller to be done , Inspire V1.81 and the others at the same time.

That's my understanding, it's not to say someone could not do it with enough time but it's a system that required both sides to agree to link in the binding process.

There are other wifi systems out there on other manufactures products that are using the same ssid and key for everyone so hacking would be relatively easy on these.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929