HOW TO: Calibrate IMU on Mavic Pro

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com

Thanks. TJ started a video thread in the help discussion. I did post this one there. I did not see you had done so before. If we keep all the videos in one place maybe they won't get lost. Thanks for your posts.

Reactions: masaphotog
Yep -- I saw it after I posted this one. It might be tough to follow conversations about multiple topics in the same thread.

I don't disagree. I was thinking about just the videos. There maybe many threads on IMU calibration. But to have to post the video each time is a waste of bandwidth in my opinion. For me it just seems easier to do that and since TJ started it and did not have the IMU Calibration video I added it before knowing that you had already posted. Sorry.

No worries. Things will be a bit different around here since we cannot post everything in one thread like over at RC Groups ;)

Reactions: greg_g
In addition to what Ed noted above, I also calibrate the IMU before I fly the first time. You never know how bumpy the ride was while your aircraft was on its way to your doorstep.

I don't disagree. I was thinking about just the videos. There maybe many threads on IMU calibration. But to have to post the video each time is a waste of bandwidth in my opinion. For me it just seems easier to do that and since TJ started it and did not have the IMU Calibration video I added it before knowing that you had already posted. Sorry.
Ed, I am curious.. Why does the Mavic have so many more steps in calibrating the IMU than the Phantom.. Call me lazy (lol) but I love to just find a nice level surface and let the drone do all the work.

Ed, I am curious.. Why does the Mavic have so many more steps in calibrating the IMU than the Phantom.. Call me lazy (lol) but I love to just find a nice level surface and let the drone do all the work.

It does not sit level on so additional steps are required.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

We are now dealing with two IMU's and the additional steps are required to get them properly calibrated. This will be the new standard in calibration as we go forward. Note that you do not have to do the calibration unless the App recommends it. The IMU is calibrated at the factory in a controlled environment to allow for quick start up.

We are now dealing with two IMU's and the additional steps are required to get them properly calibrated. This will be the new standard in calibration as we go forward. Note that you do not have to do the calibration unless the App recommends it. The IMU is calibrated at the factory in a controlled environment to allow for quick start up.

Oh okay there was some confusion on this with some members-

So as I stated previously, the IMU should only be calibrated if the app asks for it.... but you can if you want to and it won't hurt anything?

Oh okay there was some confusion on this with some members-

So as I stated previously, the IMU should only be calibrated if the app asks for it.... but you can if you want to and it won't hurt anything?

I've heard that significant changes in geographic location, and exposure to possible problems associated with long haul transportation, it is recommended to perform an IMU calibration.

I've heard that significant changes in geographic location, and exposure to possible problems associated with long haul transportation, it is recommended to perform an IMU calibration.
Geographic location is not an issue or consideration since the IMU is made up of solid state accelerometers and gyros only.
They are completely unaffected by magnetic field or declination.
They are however very affected by physical shock/stress and therefore can be knocked out of calibration with an drop or hard deceleration (crash)

Reactions: Rick

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61