DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Get a Pilot Certification for Commercial Drone Use

Shuttershooter

Reactions
How is everyone studying for the test? Are you taking an online course or is there study material readily available? How long does it take to prepare for the test?

I passed it without taking any kind of prep course or buying anything. You can read about what I did at my website: South Jersey Aerial Photograpahy

I will say though that the test is HARD. No matter what you do, you need to study and be prepared. You cannot guess your way through it.

Reactions: Robbyg
I passed it without taking any kind of prep course or buying anything. You can read about what I did at my website: South Jersey Aerial Photograpahy

I will say though that the test is HARD. No matter what you do, you need to study and be prepared. You cannot guess your way through it.
How is everyone studying for the test? Are you taking an online course or is there study material readily available? How long does it take to prepare for the test?
Thank You all for your comments and suggestions. I feel much better about how to tackle this now!

You can certainly go the route kodiak1120 took. Especially if all you want to do is get by with 70%. But, if you fail, you are out $150 for the cost of the test and have to wait 2 weeks before you can take the test again for another $150.
If you really want to learn the subject matter in a very organized and concise program, I highly recommend remotepilot101.com
Another selling point of remotepilot101.com is that it is a lifetime membership, so when you have to renew your Part 107 certification in 24 months, you just log on and do you studying before you take the test again.

I don't know if this promo code is still good, but give it a try. To access a 30% discount on the Part 107 online course, users should enter promo code SS16 upon checkout.
And no, I don't have any affiliation with remotepilot101.com other than being a member and passed the Part 107 knowledge test with a 95%.

You can certainly go the route kodiak1120 took. Especially if all you want to do is get by with 70%. But, if you fail, you are out $150 for the cost of the test and have to wait 2 weeks before you can take the test again for another $150.
If you really want to learn the subject matter in a very organized and concise program, I highly recommend remotepilot101.com
Another selling point of remotepilot101.com is that it is a lifetime membership, so when you have to renew your Part 107 certification in 24 months, you just log on and do you studying before you take the test again.

I don't know if this promo code is still good, but give it a try. To access a 30% discount on the Part 107 online course, users should enter promo code SS16 upon checkout.
And no, I don't have any affiliation with remotepilot101.com other than being a member and passed the Part 107 knowledge test with a 95%.
Thanks for the update and the Promo Code. I'll give it a try and update if it works. Just tried, and the code doesn't work.

Thanks for the update and the Promo Code. I'll give it a try and update if it works. Just tried, and the code doesn't work.

Hi, I contacted remotepilot101.com through their chat support last night. Unfortunately, the promo code SS16 expired in October. However, the current price will increase next month.

Here's part of the chat:
Ashley S: Unfortunately the ss16 promo code was only valid for the month of Oct and someone has spread it around lately. The course is currently offered at a discounted rate of $99. Feb 1st the course will be going back to $199.

I really liked interacting with Alan from Drone Ground School. He quickly and honestly responded to my email. But even with a promo code it was $150 difference between them and Remote Pilot 101.

I passed my test yesterday - I missed 6 questions...I signed up for Remote Pilot 101. Although it did help, there were a lot of gaps. Reading the following...
Remote Pilot Test Prep - UAS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1619544687/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Will get you the same results for $11...

Questions I missed were concerning the following:
PLT026 Define ceiling
This question had 2 very similar answers...wording was off too.
It wasn't the lowest broken, scattered or thin layer...it was something similar.

PLT064 Interpret information on a Sectional Chart
This was a gap. Understanding how to read terrain heights...

PLT072 Interpret information on a Terminal Aerodrome Forecast (TAF)
This was one I should have answered correctly.

PLT312 Recall load factor - maneuvering / stall speed
I forget the question and which answer I picked...something like at what degree is a UAS most effected or something like that...
Answers were:
20 degrees
30 degrees
45 degrees

PLT393 Recall regulations - controlled / restricted airspace - requirements
This had to do with Tri-County Airport and what precautions to take while flying near it. There ia an MOA neab the section of the chart it referred to so I selected MOA...but apparently that was wrong. I had to guess because I could not find this airport for anything.

PLT530 Recall regulations - small UAS aircraft registration / display of registration
This had to do with what information needs to be displayed on your UAS. I selected FCC registration number - I guess that was wrong...not sure...

I'm taking the test next week. I watched a couple hours of YouTube videos on the subject, then read all the sample test questions/answers and explanations at Rupert law. I'm an excellent test taker. It will be fun to see how easy the test is.

You can miss a lot of questions and still pass.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929