DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to use kmz file to create flight plan?

Cody1774

Reactions
If my clients can provide a tracklog, or gps boundary in kmz format, can I develop a flight plan? What is the procedure to take that file and program a flight plan, throw the mavic in the air and let it fly that pattern? I believe that you can set waypoints using the google map, however I'd like to fly my clients exact gps coordinates and provide aerial photography and video for them. It could be the exact perimeter of an area, or a long linear route.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

If my clients can provide a tracklog, or gps boundary in kmz format, can I develop a flight plan? What is the procedure to take that file and program a flight plan, throw the mavic in the air and let it fly that pattern? I believe that you can set waypoints using the google map, however I'd like to fly my clients exact gps coordinates and provide aerial photography and video for them. It could be the exact perimeter of an area, or a long linear route.... any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you use Litchi you can try this. You open the kmz in Google Earth, right click on it and do a "save as" and change the file type to .kml. The kml file can be imported directly into the Litchi Mission Hub. From there you can use all regular Litchi waypoint tools to plan your mission.

Reactions: Cody1774
That sounds great, thanks for the help! I just tried to open the kmz into google earth and unfortunately go an error. Parse error with some addition info. Would like to give the Litchi method a try.

That sounds great, thanks for the help! I just tried to open the kmz into google earth and unfortunately go an error. Parse error with some addition info. Would like to give the Litchi method a try.
Yea, the first thing you need is a good kmz file. Some mapping software programs (that aren't Google Earth) claim they can export kmz files, but sometimes you end up with those kind of problems. Best to ask the client to make sure they can open it in regular Google Earth before they send it.

Reactions: Cody1774
another great piece of advice. Have the client test the file before sending, could save tremendous time and effort.

Hello I have the same request from my client just to know if Litchi is free or if we have to buy the app?
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I saw that the price is around 32 USD I have Drone Deploy but they remove the App to create Linear Flight Plan from KMZ file and I have to fly over a road in 4 days and I never use Litchi!

I have Drone Deploy but ...
You can not import .kml data via the app.
You have to log in into your DD account with a webbrowser.
Then :
- Go to DroneDeploy App Market
- Install KML and SHP Import App

Yes but you cannot import Linear track only polygon!
Then DroneDeploy isn't the right app for your task.
I suggest to use DJI's Groundstation Pro.

Reactions: ansoroka
Yes I have a look on GS Pro but could you install it on your desktop instead of the Ipad?
Because the road lenght is 32km so it will be a long job to tap waypoints all along the road.

Plan your mission on your PC/Mac using Google Earth.
Create a .kmz of your track. Import this file to GSPro.
Thats all.

Be advised that there is a maximum number of 99 waypoints you can use for one mission.

Reactions: Julie
Thanks for all this useful info Keule, I will retrace my road from my SHP into GE and remove the maxium of point , I think I will split my road in 3 pieces it will be easier.
I let you know when I succeed thanks for the help

Last edited:
Reactions: Keule
Just succeed to import my road in KML file into GS Pro but now you just have 4 times to download for free your KML files after that you have to pay!

Plan your mission on your PC/Mac using Google Earth.
Create a .kmz of your track. Import this file to GSPro.
Thats all.

Be advised that there is a maximum number of 99 waypoints you can use for one mission.

Last Question Keule, now I have my flight plan done but where I decided how many pictures will be taken during the flight? This automatic in Drone Deploy when you decide the percentage of Front lap over lapping the software will decide to take pictures every 2 seconds for exemple, but I could not see this trheshold on GS Pro, is it only for polygon or surface?
The idea is having an elevation of the road.

but I could not see this trheshold on GS Pro
You can alter the capture mode (time based / distance based) only in a photomap.
The resolution of your images is based on the cameras sensors type / lens and altitude flown.
The speed of the aircraft and shutter intervall are directly related to each other.
Increasing the intervall let the AC fly slower.

Below you see a photomap mission:
GSProsetting.jpg

When you select a simple waypoint mission, these options are not available.
Here you have to select the interval parameters manually.
There is no such a setting in GSPro Waypoint settings.
You must setup your camera by your own.

See here:

GSPro_WP.jpg

I'm trying to use curved convergent non-traditional (non-linear/non-parallel) flight lines to a) mitigate the systematic Structure-from-Motion doming/dishing (elevation) error and b) obtain a more diverse view perspective. I have access to a new waypoint generator that exports the mission plan as a) csv file, b) kmz/kml file, or c) shp [shape] file. I have been trying to figure out how to import one of these file formats into Litchi; but as of today, I have not been unsuccessful. Can it be done? Here's a couple examples of the mission plans: a) a long narrow corridor and b) a one square mile open pit mine area. I plan on flying these jobs using a long-endurance fixed-wing drone - hence, I'm planning the required turnout loops as well.

I'm trying to figure this out in order to use curved flight lines for other types of drones as well.

Attachments

• Silent Falcon NM TL Corridor 011519.jpg
    Silent Falcon NM TL Corridor 011519.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Pebble Creek Mine 020319.jpg
    Pebble Creek Mine 020319.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 19
I have a similar task at hand. I have a designed line in kml/kmz file that I want the drone to follow for a construction project tracking. The GS Pro seem to be the only app out there with this ability! But I cant seem to make the drone fly the path automatically. I can only see the way-points on the map screen.

What I am trying to achieve is the progress tracking overtime, so that I can create I time laps of the construction project. I need the drone to follow the same pattern for 3 years with the same camera tilt. I don't know if there are better soft products than GS Pro out there?

Is there any other ways to achieve that? Can VR glasses do that? Can I import the design into the VR soft directly as a surface? and see it overlaying real world so I know where to fly, WHILE MY SPOTTER IS WATCHING ME? :cool:?

The problem you will encounter involves the Litchi & DJI limit of 99 waypoints. I have succeeded in getting Litchi HUB to read a KML file; but it produced an error involved with the 99 point limit. This is an artificial self-induced limit that makes Litchi & DJI impractical to perform real work. One day they will wake up to their own error.
Here's a couple real world examples that work; but they don't involve either Litchi or DJI drones.Purtuniq - Quebec - Canada Image.jpgPeeble Creek Mine Second TEST 021819 Image.jpgNM TL Corridor State Plane Output 021919 Image.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy