DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HUGE difference in video quality between micro SD & Go4 app recording

flynsign

Reactions
I was watching the same video clip from my micro SD card (after copying onto PC) and the auto-recorded clip on my ipad (found in 'editor' section of Go4 app) and was stunned at the difference.

The onboard video from the Sandisk Extreme card (recommended micro SD for the Mavic) was TOTAL crap. It was hyper sharp, and had tons of drop outs and very jumpy. I would have assumed the opposite if anything. Anyway, does anyone know how to fix this issue?

I know it cannot be my video settings because I had just optimized them in the app and this same video clip that Go4 cached onto my ipad mini is perfect in every way.

At a glance I thought the title was a joke. Now I know it's not.
Can you post your camera settings here? My guess is something you've probably set wrong, like +3 sharpness or sort of.

At a glance I thought the title was a joke. Now I know it's not.
Can you post your camera settings here? My guess is something you've probably set wrong, like +3 sharpness or sort of.

I don't have access to my drone in order to get you the settings but I can assure you they are optimized like I said. Besides, that was the least of the video quality issue - cutting out, jittery, jumpy, etc. etc.
Also, like I mentioned in first post, the video quality was perfect when viewing the cached video on my ipad.

Reactions: Daniel3257
Are you recording in 4K, the cached video is only 1080P So what display do you try with the native file? I have a true 4K display to use. Your display device may not be able to downsize the 4K properly.

Reactions: kaplaucius
Are you recording in 4K, the cached video is only 1080P So what display do you try with the native file? I have a true 4K display to use. Your display device may not be able to downsize the 4K properly.

I believe I am recording in 4k, yes - at least I was unless the last firmware update erased that setting so can't say for certain till I get my drone and app connected when I get home from the office. I did notice that when playing the same video through a micro SD card reader connected to my iphone 7 that the video played fine - still WAY over sharp but did not have the big jumps and skipping in video playback.

i believe the cached video is actually 720 it is only 1080 when used with the HD mode in settings but then that stops you filming in anything other than 1080, but i could be wrong.

maybe take a look in your transmission settings, funnily enough when in Thailand i bought two Kingston class 10 cards for emergencies, those don't play on my tv at all, but the scan disk and lexar both play fine.

i believe the cached video is actually 720 it is only 1080 when used with the HD mode in settings but then that stops you filming in anything other than 1080, but i could be wrong.

maybe take a look in your transmission settings, funnily enough when in Thailand i bought two Kingston class 10 cards for emergencies, those don't play on my tv at all, but the scan disk and lexar both play fine.

My video setting for this clip is 3840x2160 - that would be 4k, correct?

My video setting for this clip is 3840x2160 - that would be 4k, correct?
Correct. Unless you are running it on a high end computer your machine will have an extremely hard time rendering it in real time. Try plugging the card in a smart TV, they typically have good image processing; best would be a 4K set at a friend or store.

Last edited:
That could be the problem as the viewing issue seems to be on my 5 year old laptop, ha! Strange that the clip directly off my micro SD card plays fine on my iphone and ipad - just not my laptop.

To play back full 4k video you need to use a competent device, otherwise you will get stuttering etc. I pop the Mavic sd card into my 4k samsung tv and it is amazing quality. If I run it on my pc then not so good. Sharpness +1 works for me. Good luck.

Reactions: robelee
That could be the problem as the viewing issue seems to be on my 5 year old laptop, ha! Strange that the clip directly off my micro SD card plays fine on my iphone and ipad - just not my laptop.
my laptop is around 4 years old and cant edit anything its processor cant even handle the apps that do the editing which all need processors faster than i have at present,

yet my TV runs it fine as long as i have the right SD card

To play back full 4k video you need to use a competent device, otherwise you will get stuttering etc. I pop the Mavic sd card into my 4k samsung tv and it is amazing quality. If I run it on my pc then not so good. Sharpness +1 works for me. Good luck.
I have a Samsung as well but it wants me to first format my micro SD card for Windows OS - shouldn't have to do that, right?

Can you post a short clip of the video, or a frame from it? I agree with others that this could be a playback issue. It's not normal for the onboard video to be lower quality than the 720p/1080p cached video.

No, if you format it you will destroy your recordings. Sure its not wanting to use the sd card for TV recording ? Can't think of anything else.

Can you post a short clip of the video, or a frame from it? I agree with others that this could be a playback issue. It's not normal for the onboard video to be lower quality than the 720p/1080p cached video.
No point really as I'm sure it's just the device (older laptop) I'm trying to play it back on.

4K is overkill anyway. I'm still experimenting with 1080 and it may be more than adequate for excellent HD videos.

No point really as I'm sure it's just the device (older laptop) I'm trying to play it back on.
ok so here is how to tell cheaply

stick it in an sd card reader go to TV shop tell em u are looking for new tv but want to check which ones can play your 4K footage stick it in all their tvs and find one that plays it have a watch and see.

or find someone with a new laptop

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka