DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Huge GPS problem!!!

ch3f

Reactions

check this video out folks! turn on cc english subs....
look his channel on yt he has a bunch of other nice mavic's vids.

It looked to me like he did NOT acquire GPS signal until AFTER he took-off. IMO...bad move, especially from a balcony. Does the Mavic require compass calibration? If so, how did he accomplish that from there?

"Now you can control it. fly out a bit more"

I wish I would be so calm in this situation :)

If you watch the first video from Flite Test, they attempt a landing on top of a large garbage can. And while the Mavic was within a foot, it was not going to hit the top of the can. I have a feeling, there are issues with 3D space that are not taken into account. Also, I have no idea if they waited long enough for the drone to photograph the area. Remember, from above, a 3D object like the garbage can, will look flat on the ground. Just doesnt seem like good practice, to me.

Check the video about 9:10 or so.

My guess here is that he launched it from the balcony without a good GPS altitude. If you notice, the controller is showing "Max Alt".

check this video out folks! turn on cc english subs....
look his channel on yt he has a bunch of other nice mavic's vids.

It looks like he had no control over altitude once he was out of the balcony and the Mavic was just descending until about -20 metres... That's not good....

This seems to show that the Mavic requires good GPS lock before you fly...

BTW, just for everyone's info, the guy is flying in Mode 1, which is why he was moving the right stick to increase throttle..

It looks like he had no control over altitude once he was out of the balcony and the Mavic was just descending until about -20 metres... That's not good....

BTW, just for everyone's info, the guy is flying in Mode 1, which is why he was moving the right stick to increase throttle..
I would say this means, don't try to fly from indoors to outdoors without it being in ATTI mode. Notice the controller towards the end of the video

I would say this means, don't try to fly from indoors to outdoors without it being in ATTI mode. Notice the controller towards the end of the video

I don't think you can set the Mavic to ATTI mode manually. That isn't in the software. As far as I know, the Mavic will automatically go into ATTI mode only if it looses GPS/Compass...

One, even if he tried to calibrate the compass he was surrounded by iron. Two, he took off with no GPS connectivity (from indoors). Three, he is trying to fly in a courtyard area surrounded by tall buildings blocking GPS signals. He had to work just to get seven sats. He should have had double that amount. I hope this answers the question on another thread about launching out the window from inside the 30th floor.

Reactions: dewster
I agree. I see no sign the Mavic had any issue in the way it worked. The Max altitude indication is the first indication that things are screwy.

No issues. I've experienced the same from my balcony in my p3 and p4. You have satellites but are maybe a couple short. So you take off and get out from under cover. Usually that home point recorded within a few seconds, sometimes longer. Sometimes you get that max altitude issue. All comes with the territory but no big deal if you are a good pilot with plenty of experience on non GPS craft.

It's an obvious fail safe feature built into the Mavic. Without a GPS fix, one could possibly fly to as high as the air would allow which is what we used to do in the good ole days. Now with the government on our case because of a few clowns, DJI has put these fail safes in place.

In regards to the Phantom dropping altitude at the beginning of the clip:
I think they didn't change the Maximum flight altitude & Radius Limits from the default values. According the manual:
Maximum Flight Altitude = GPS Signal Weak Blinking Yellow (the REMOTE says MAX ALT).
Flight Limits: Height is restricted to 26 feet (8 meters)when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated. Height is restricted to 164 feet (50 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated.

Looking at the video, VPS is active and NO GPS, therefore it will ascend/descend to find 26 feet. Notice when he gets more GPS, it can then ascend. If he read the manual, he could of disabled OA (by switching to sports) and this would give him 50m max height..

Change the thread title. Its 100% operator error.
RTFM!!!! kidding... as I dont think its available..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11169540/Mavic/Mavic-Pro-User-Manual-2016-09.pdf

If you watch the first video from Flite Test, they attempt a landing on top of a large garbage can. And while the Mavic was within a foot, it was not going to hit the top of the can.
A) A difference of one foot is not that bad. My P3 lands wherever it wants.
B) It is my understanding that they took off too quickly for the VPS to take the pictures needed for Precision Landing.

Reactions: fakbik
A) A difference of one foot is not that bad. My P3 lands wherever it wants.
B) It is my understanding that they took off too quickly for the VPS to take the pictures needed for Precision Landing.

Even if they did let it sit for a moment, if there was any drift at that time, it would not have come back. All the videos I have seen where the landing was tested, it was within a foot, no inches.

It would be nice to have the actual manual (not the pre-production version floating around) to see what the actual tolerances are in regards to the precise landing.

Even if they did let it sit for a moment, if there was any drift at that time, it would not have come back. All the videos I have seen where the landing was tested, it was within a foot, no inches.

It would be nice to have the actual manual (not the pre-production version floating around) to see what the actual tolerances are in regards to the precise landing.

From what I've read, it sounds like you have to let it sit for a few seconds after initial take of in order for it to get a good reference landing image/video of the ground. Definitely a feature I can't wait to test myself.

We have brought this to the attention of R&D. I know that I cannot replicate this in my location. I know in urban areas that some pilots take off from balconies, That is not something that I would attempt. If they are experienced pilots then having a craft in ATTI mode should not have been an issue. There may be a discussion on what is professional or not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada