DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Huge GPS problem!!!

In regards to the Phantom dropping altitude at the beginning of the clip:
I think they didn't change the Maximum flight altitude & Radius Limits from the default values. According the manual:
Maximum Flight Altitude = GPS Signal Weak Blinking Yellow (the REMOTE says MAX ALT).
Flight Limits: Height is restricted to 26 feet (8 meters)when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated. Height is restricted to 164 feet (50 meters) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated.

Looking at the video, VPS is active and NO GPS, therefore it will ascend/descend to find 26 feet. Notice when he gets more GPS, it can then ascend. If he read the manual, he could of disabled OA (by switching to sports) and this would give him 50m max height..

Change the thread title. Its 100% operator error.
RTFM!!!! kidding... as I dont think its available..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11169540/Mavic/Mavic-Pro-User-Manual-2016-09.pdf

This... exactly this.

Reactions: fakbik
We have brought this to the attention of R&D. I know that I cannot replicate this in my location. I know in urban areas that some pilots take off from balconies, That is not something that I would attempt. If they are experienced pilots then having a craft in ATTI mode should not have been an issue. There may be a discussion on what is professional or not.
hi ED i bet you tahoe ed? lol anyway i was wondering if you go hike till the top of a cliff or mountain and then you start flying lower then your take off point you loose aircraft signal and crash it? will dji care will replace the device? otherwise i will wait for a mavic 2 or something i have waited for so long i can wait for more......

Taking off without acquiring GPS first is a bad idea.
aa50e1934b02bb73fae7311b65388e97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: westcoast604
Well your pattern coming out of the woodwork to dramatically post about whatever new problem you've dug up has gotten a little transparent, there, bud. You've earned the honor of the first spot on my ignore list

EDIT; Directed at OP...not meant to knock the following discussion

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm merely stating a fact regarding the issue posted. An issue which I've previously experienced a few times in my phantom 4 in the same exact conditions. Conditions which aren't ideal, but if one is familiar with atti, are easily dealt with. I never considered it a flaw on the phantom 4 and if I were to experience on the Mavic, in the same conditions, I would feel the same. Anyway, next time I'll be sure to get your permission before posting.

Sorry...should have been clearer. my comment was directed at the OP, not you!

Sorry...should have been clearer. my comment was directed at the OP, not you!
No worries. Regardless, there is no huge flaw. I can replicate that same event with my phantoms, 3 and 4, exactly. From my balcony. The way I see it, these drones all have GPS limitations when under the cover of the balcony above. If one is proficient in atti mode it is a non issue.

No worries. Regardless, there is no huge flaw. I can replicate that same event with my phantoms, 3 and 4, exactly. From my balcony. The way I see it, these drones all have GPS limitations when under the cover of the balcony above. If one is proficient in atti mode it is a non issue.

Unlike the P3/P4, ATTI mode is not user selectable on the Mavic. Previous suggestion was that turning off VPS may have helped in this situation, but it's only speculation until someone duplicates the problem and tries.

Unlike the P3/P4, ATTI mode is not user selectable on the Mavic. Previous suggestion was that turning off VPS may have helped in this situation, but it's only speculation until someone duplicates the problem and tries.
To be honest I've had that exact one from my balcony twice. Full throttle for a few seconds solved it. The descent stopped but I could go no higher. GPS lock came in fast and then all was well. You can look at it this way. A little too high for good VPS efficiency, no GPS lock, etc... Not something one experiences daily. Including myself and I fly daily from my balcony. When flying anything, be ready for anything.

We have brought this to the attention of R&D. I know that I cannot replicate this in my location. I know in urban areas that some pilots take off from balconies, That is not something that I would attempt. If they are experienced pilots then having a craft in ATTI mode should not have been an issue. There may be a discussion on what is professional or not.

A hypothetic situation.. similar scenario like the YouTube clip where it forces itself to find 26 feet in ATTI. Lets say I am standing on higher ground and I decide to fly in GPS+VPS in a narrow area in between some rock faces that is 50m below my take off point (-50 altitude). The mavic then loses all GPS in the narrow rock faces. Does the MAVIC then force descend all the way down until the VPS can find 26ft?? And if I the valley is 200m deep, will the Mavic go to -190 meters and stay there?? Does this mean I will have to fly around in the narrow rock faces until I can get GPS to ascend out of the narrow space?? What if I loses control signal?? It would be stuck right as there is no GPS to RTH.

Now if I was smart enough and decide to switch to Sports mode to turn off VPS+OA, would this will give me 50m height relative to the last known VPS height reading or last known height relative to the take off point.

Sorry if it is unclear..

So on a side note, thinking about this... The foil trick to blind the GPS and force ATTI will still work but will be limited to 50m height in sports mode.

Looking at the video, VPS is active and NO GPS, therefore it will ascend/descend to find 26 feet. Notice when he gets more GPS, it can then ascend. If he read the manual, he could of disabled OA (by switching to sports) and this would give him 50m max height..
Manuel? What is this strange and foreign word of which you speak?

Reactions: kmaluo
I'm used to flying RC Helicopters where the only electronic assistance is a gyro. Everything else, the pilot controls.

With all the electronic assistance and limitations, it seems like ATTI mode is as close to full manual control as you can get. Hope DJI allows us to switch the Mavic manually to ATTI mode.

A hypothetic situation.. similar scenario like the YouTube clip where it forces itself to find 26 feet in ATTI. Lets say I am standing on higher ground and I decide to fly in GPS+VPS in a narrow area in between some rock faces that is 50m below my take off point (-50 altitude). The mavic then loses all GPS in the narrow rock faces. Does the MAVIC then force descend all the way down until the VPS can find 26ft?? And if I the valley is 200m deep, will the Mavic go to -190 meters and stay there?? Does this mean I will have to fly around in the narrow rock faces until I can get GPS to ascend out of the narrow space?? What if I loses control signal?? It would be stuck right as there is no GPS to RTH.

Now if I was smart enough and decide to switch to Sports mode to turn off VPS+OA, would this will give me 50m height relative to the last known VPS height reading or last known height relative to the take off point.

Sorry if it is unclear..

So on a side note, thinking about this... The foil trick to blind the GPS and force ATTI will still work but will be limited to 50m height in sports mode.
And this is exactly why it is currently with R&D at DJI.
A lot of people could potentially fly off a cliff top/mountainside without waiting for GPS lock and this could be the result.
Not having a 'hard' switch for P-Atti is a stupid decision by DJI and shows yet again they are pandering to the idiot gene.

the true problem its that the people think that the mavic fly alone without hands... and you have to check a few things before fly.... calibration , gps ... etc...

Reactions: CivEngPE

Hi Tahoe.. would bringing this to the attention of R&D have caused a little ripple that's become the tsunmami of the mavic delay?

I know its hush hush secret squirells at Dji so
You can wink once for no and wink both eyes for yes.

I've read this thread with interest, am I correct in thinking that this ATTI mode is simply where you fly the model yourself? Do folks not do this? I must admit that when I took off with my toy drone I was expecting it to fly like my last model helicopter. Surely people don't take a flying model out without actually being able to fly?

Edit: Aha - just watched this:
Explains a lot. Essentially - is 'normal' mode then :)

This is what was "fixed" with the firmware that was dated today 10/21/16:

What’s New?
  • Optimized the Return to Home and Landing (refer to the user manual for details).
  • Reduced descent issue caused from flying indoors to outdoors
  • Minimized an overheating issue resulting from not removing the gimbal clamp after powering on the aircraft.
  • Improved the stability of the aircraft when switching between Portrait and Landscape
  • Optimized the ActiveTrack experience, keeping moving subjects in center frame more effectively and smoothing footage
  • Optimized control parameters to improve the flight experience
  • Fixed occasional issue of GPS signal loss.

Taking off from balconies... another reason why drone laws are getting stricter.... It's like the electric scooter laws in shanghai and Beijing.. they outlawing them there.. guess drones will follow ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada