DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hypothetical: Will it take off without GPS?

Spirytus

Reactions
As the subject states, will I be able to take-off / fly the Mavic pro with no GPS satellites? I work underground and I'm the fence of buying this little drone.

Edit: Hypothetical because I obviously haven't tried it.

Reactions: Rflush
I fly all the time in my man cave (underground). So yes. It is possible.

__

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect, thanks for the prompt response guys.

I'm guessing radio range is an issue, what would happen if I lost link? RTH clearly wont work, so will it stop and hover? Auto land?

You can set what you would like it to do in the app.

As mentioned by you. RTH will not work as it does not have a GPS location.

__

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have some kind of massive area, I'm sure you'll not go out of range, are you using the phone or controller? Phone range is limited, but still several hundred metres, unless you have a lot of interference.

Unless you have some kind of massive area, I'm sure you'll not go out of range, are you using the phone or controller? Phone range is limited, but still several hundred metres, unless you have a lot of interference.
Caves / caverns, definitely wouldn't trust my phone's wifi.

So based on what I gathered, my Mavic won't be slamming into a wall Incase of link loss - all I wanted to know.

Thanks again guys peace out.

It depends if light/floor allow VPS to work, if yes it will hover in place but if not it will drift and eventually slam into that wall.

I think I have read that it will not take off without GPS in beginner mode.
That is correct. I just discovered that fact while taking my maiden flight here in my basement. Although, after a few minutes, the Mavic picked up 8 satellites even down here below ground. I'm impressed.

the Mavic picked up 8 satellites even down here below ground. I'm impressed.
Careful with that, several people have crashed theirs that way. If signal is present but bad and VPS doesn't engage it can throw your Mavic anywhere without you being able to do anything against it.

Reactions: MJSfoto1956
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada