DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am pissed at DJI and the Mavic - Cautionary Tale. *** Update 100% Pilot Error ***

Willem

Reactions
I got home with my new Mavic. Previous Phantom 4 owner with hundreds of flights. Unpacked, charged all the batteries, read the quick start menu. Carefully put the two rear propellors on. It was night so thought I'd try it indoors. Power it up and get into the air. First I notice a very bad drift. Perhaps too dark to use downward video. Hovering for about 30 seconds only about 2 feet off the ground and then all hell breaks loose and the Mavic is on its back. I power down immediately and see the culprit - the propellor has come off the freaking front propellor arm. Obviously QC in China did not do a good job. Everyone check all the propellors when you first get it.

Result - my gimbal appears to be shot. See attached video. So pissed that I will now have to wait another month for this fragile POS.

I'm already missing my P4.

********UPDATE**********

It was pilot error. Completely my fault. The DJI tech support led me to believe the props come pre-installed on the front arms. After comments on here and watching unboxing videos its clear they come pre-installed on the back arms. So completely my fault.

Last edited:
I've talked with DJI and they will do an analysis within 24-48 hours. if I had just walked into a store and bought this I could live with it. in fact, I could return it and get a new one. but no - I have to wait 2 months and then probably another month. arrrrgggggg

Get your money back...
Oh what a great response. Thanks for that. Except lets see. They had my money for 2 months before I even had anything. Sure I could return the Mavic at the Apple Store - but what about the DJI Refresh package - do I get that money back. I am hoping that DJI does the right thing and send me a new drone after reviewing the flight records.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
To be fair - checking the aircraft is in perfect flight condition before taking off is your first responsibility as a pilot. Checking props are mounted right (i.e. the main part of that) should be in your preflight checklist and done every single time, they can get unlocked anytime by some pressure in the bag during transport...

Yes I agree. One should check the props every time. But DJI should not be installing them at the factory in the first place. How many first time flyers are going to just assume that they were installed correctly by the manufacturer.

the propellor has come off the freaking front propellor arm. Obviously QC in China did not do a good job. Everyone check all the propellors when you first get it.
It doesn't seem like it's the QC in China, more like the QC at your home. The front arm propellers are not attached in the box and you are the one who needs to attach it by clipping them in. Sounds more like pilot error than a DJI error.

Reactions: The Editor
I fly full size aircraft and check EVERYTHING before every flight. At the risk of being harsh, I think this is pilot error and you just need to accept and take the learning from it.

Reactions: Woody67 and Chakanz
I got home with my new Mavic. Previous Phantom 4 owner with hundreds of flights. Unpacked, charged all the batteries, read the quick start menu. Carefully put the two rear propellors on. It was night so thought I'd try it indoors. Power it up and get into the air. First I notice a very bad drift. Perhaps too dark to use downward video. Hovering for about 30 seconds only about 2 feet off the ground and then all **** breaks loose and the Mavic is on its back. I power down immediately and see the culprit - the propellor has come off the freaking front propellor arm. Obviously QC in China did not do a good job. Everyone check all the propellors when you first get it.

Result - my gimbal appears to be shot. See attached video. So pissed that I will now have to wait another month for this fragile POS.

I'm already missing my P4.

Did you check my post about your gimbal being dislodged?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Vroom66
So can I just ask .. you didn't check the front props before flight ??

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I ***** about DJI more than most but 'pre-flight' checks are key...

You were lazy, not checking props on the first flight indoors. That is a common sense pre-check no matter what. Every time I go to ride my motorcycle I have a few checks I do, from the chain to the lights to a quick check of the tires.

The craft just shipped from China. Stuff happens. The first flight should not be indoors without checking all props, checking the gimbal clamp isnt installed. DJI cannot be blamed for pilot laziness.

You should post photos of your bird and gimbal.

I can tell it's below the tab. The only way for it to bounce like that is if it's below the tab in the back. Or one of the rubber mounts is broken

I just updated my first post. My apologies for my rant of frustration. It was 100% pilot error as the pre-installed props are actually on the back arms not the front arms. Luckily I bought DFI Refresh, unluckily I will now have to wait another 3 weeks.

Did you check my post about your gimbal being dislodged?

I did and here's the irony. I watched it literally 5 minutes before my first maiden flight. So after the crash I look right away and it had popped out of the bay. I put it back in but no luck. I feel like the little rubber bands which dampen the gimbal got stretched somehow.

what does it do when you actually turn it on (no need to take off)? Does it respond correctly?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada