I am pissed at DJI and the Mavic - Cautionary Tale. *** Update 100% Pilot Error ***

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Help' started by Willem, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Willem

Willem Active Member

I got home with my new Mavic. Previous Phantom 4 owner with hundreds of flights. Unpacked, charged all the batteries, read the quick start menu. Carefully put the two rear propellors on. It was night so thought I'd try it indoors. Power it up and get into the air. First I notice a very bad drift. Perhaps too dark to use downward video. Hovering for about 30 seconds only about 2 feet off the ground and then all **** breaks loose and the Mavic is on its back. I power down immediately and see the culprit - the propellor has come off the freaking front propellor arm. Obviously QC in China did not do a good job. Everyone check all the propellors when you first get it.

Result - my gimbal appears to be shot. See attached video. So pissed that I will now have to wait another month for this fragile POS.

I'm already missing my P4.

********UPDATE**********

It was pilot error. Completely my fault. The DJI tech support led me to believe the props come pre-installed on the front arms. After comments on here and watching unboxing videos its clear they come pre-installed on the back arms. So completely my fault.

#1 Willem, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    grizzard likes this.
  2. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Must say I almost didn't lock them in properly until I put glasses on then it was easy.

The Editor likes this.
  3. Willem

Willem Active Member

I've talked with DJI and they will do an analysis within 24-48 hours. if I had just walked into a store and bought this I could live with it. in fact, I could return it and get a new one. but no - I have to wait 2 months and then probably another month. arrrrgggggg

4. Daniel

Daniel Member

Get your money back...

5. Willem

Willem Active Member

Oh what a great response. Thanks for that. Except lets see. They had my money for 2 months before I even had anything. Sure I could return the Mavic at the Apple Store - but what about the DJI Refresh package - do I get that money back. I am hoping that DJI does the right thing and send me a new drone after reviewing the flight records.

6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

To be fair - checking the aircraft is in perfect flight condition before taking off is your first responsibility as a pilot. Checking props are mounted right (i.e. the main part of that) should be in your preflight checklist and done every single time, they can get unlocked anytime by some pressure in the bag during transport...

Nikos and The Editor like this.
  7. Willem

Willem Active Member

Yes I agree. One should check the props every time. But DJI should not be installing them at the factory in the first place. How many first time flyers are going to just assume that they were installed correctly by the manufacturer.

8. Rflush

Rflush Active Member

It doesn't seem like it's the QC in China, more like the QC at your home. The front arm propellers are not attached in the box and you are the one who needs to attach it by clipping them in. Sounds more like pilot error than a DJI error.

The Editor likes this.
  9. PropPilot

PropPilot Well-Known Member

I fly full size aircraft and check EVERYTHING before every flight. At the risk of being harsh, I think this is pilot error and you just need to accept and take the learning from it.

Chakanz likes this.
  10. TheLightSpeed!

TheLightSpeed! Well-Known Member

Did you check my post about your gimbal being dislodged?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Vroom66 likes this.
  11. Anthony

Anthony Well-Known Member

So can I just ask .. you didn't check the front props before flight ??

12. UAV Man

UAV Man Well-Known Member

I ***** about DJI more than most but 'pre-flight' checks are key...

13. TheLightSpeed!

Well the Mavic doesn't come with the Props on the front arms if I remember correct. So if that's the issue it's probably user error

14. Deckyon

Deckyon Well-Known Member

You were lazy, not checking props on the first flight indoors. That is a common sense pre-check no matter what. Every time I go to ride my motorcycle I have a few checks I do, from the chain to the lights to a quick check of the tires.

The craft just shipped from China. Stuff happens. The first flight should not be indoors without checking all props, checking the gimbal clamp isnt installed. DJI cannot be blamed for pilot laziness.

venom93corba and Watty like this.
  15. TheLightSpeed!

You should post photos of your bird and gimbal.

I can tell it's below the tab. The only way for it to bounce like that is if it's below the tab in the back. Or one of the rubber mounts is broken

16. Willem

Willem Active Member

I just updated my first post. My apologies for my rant of frustration. It was 100% pilot error as the pre-installed props are actually on the back arms not the front arms. Luckily I bought DFI Refresh, unluckily I will now have to wait another 3 weeks.

venom93corba and Kilrah like this.
  17. Willem

Willem Active Member

18. Willem

Willem Active Member

Does this seem too loose?

19. Deckyon

Deckyon Well-Known Member

what does it do when you actually turn it on (no need to take off)? Does it respond correctly?

20. TheLightSpeed!

Hey good for you stepping up!

It doesn't look too loose.

Are you 100% sure it's sitting under the back tab properly?