DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am pissed at DJI and the Mavic - Cautionary Tale. *** Update 100% Pilot Error ***

I should add I did check all the props before the first flight but I guess I didn't check them well enough. Give a little twist, make sure they are seated properly, give a little spin - wiggle them, etc....

There should not be that much movement on start up. I dont have mine to show you, but when it comes on and runs through the check, the gimbal is completely stable when just sitting.

Some closeups of the gimbal area (photos, not necessarily videos) especially around the base of the gimbal (where it is connected to the quad) would be helpful.

Hey good for you stepping up!

It doesn't look too loose.

Are you 100% sure it's sitting under the back tab properly?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Ya I might be an outright entitled ******** at times when I think I've been wronged but I won't hesitate to admit it when it's my fault.

Here is a picture of the gimbal mount:

Attachments

• IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
Check these two vids. See if they may apply before sending to DJI.

Thanks for those video but no luck. I think what's happened in my situation is that the rubber bands have stretched. I notice that the gimbal mounting plate is not sitting flush against the L bracket but floating out in the middle. With forward acceleration, the gimbal mount is slamming back against the L bracket. Could someone else check to see how close to the L bracket does the mount normally sit? Kind of drag to have send it back for some little rubber bands

Give a little twist, make sure they are seated properly, give a little spin - wiggle them, etc....
The "catch-all" is to check the metal axle is flush with the prop hub, it can't be unless the prop is installed correctly. I personally like to also hold the motor, then wiggle the prop hub left/right to check it's well latched.

I got home with my new Mavic. Previous Phantom 4 owner with hundreds of flights. Unpacked, charged all the batteries, read the quick start menu. Carefully put the two rear propellors on. It was night so thought I'd try it indoors. Power it up and get into the air. First I notice a very bad drift. Perhaps too dark to use downward video. Hovering for about 30 seconds only about 2 feet off the ground and then all **** breaks loose and the Mavic is on its back. I power down immediately and see the culprit - the propellor has come off the freaking front propellor arm. Obviously QC in China did not do a good job. Everyone check all the propellors when you first get it.

Result - my gimbal appears to be shot. See attached video. So pissed that I will now have to wait another month for this fragile POS.

I'm already missing my P4.

********UPDATE**********

It was pilot error. Completely my fault. The DJI tech support led me to believe the props come pre-installed on the front arms. After comments on here and watching unboxing videos its clear they come pre-installed on the back arms. So completely my fault.

Thanks for coming back and admitting that. People who can admit to mistakes show that they have an admirable character trait. Many people would never admit to a mistake on their part .. especially an expensive one.

Reactions: Woody67 and Daniel
My Mavic came with NO propellers installed. All four were in the box separate, in two black fabric pouches, two propellers in each.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I'm sorry for your accident mate but as someone who ordered and paid 2 days after launch and still have no idea when the Mavic will ship hearing you whinging about waiting for another period before getting a replacement rubs me the wrong way. What happened to you is unfortunate but it was your fault. Go to the back of the line

Reactions: Daniel
I got home with my new Mavic. Previous Phantom 4 owner with hundreds of flights. Unpacked, charged all the batteries, read the quick start menu. Carefully put the two rear propellors on. It was night so thought I'd try it indoors. Power it up and get into the air. First I notice a very bad drift. Perhaps too dark to use downward video. Hovering for about 30 seconds only about 2 feet off the ground and then all **** breaks loose and the Mavic is on its back. I power down immediately and see the culprit - the propellor has come off the freaking front propellor arm. Obviously QC in China did not do a good job. Everyone check all the propellors when you first get it.

Result - my gimbal appears to be shot. See attached video. So pissed that I will now have to wait another month for this fragile POS.

I'm already missing my P4.

********UPDATE**********

It was pilot error. Completely my fault. The DJI tech support led me to believe the props come pre-installed on the front arms. After comments on here and watching unboxing videos its clear they come pre-installed on the back arms. So completely my fault.

RayZin Here: I'd like to inform you of some aeronautical physics. Flying close to the ground causes what is called a "Ground Effect". The props are forcing a lot of air in a downward direction which causes a high pressure sphere under the drone. It's like creating a circle/ball of pressure under the bird. When the bird becomes involved with that bubble, becomes part of the bubble, the bird tends to drift right or left off the top of the bubble. Once this happens, the bird will roll in that direction and tend to flip over as the pressure no longer is affecting it, so it drops and crashes on it's side, destroying props in the process.

Reactions: Woody67
Sounds like pilot error to me, no matter how you slice it. The mavic is not the Phantom 4, and having not flown it, to see how it responds etc.. and ensuring that all equipment that can be removed (ie props) are fixed properly. Sucks.. I am sure.. but I bet you never make that mistake again!

RayZin Here: I'd like to inform you of some aeronautical physics. Flying close to the ground causes what is called a "Ground Effect". The props are forcing a lot of air in a downward direction which causes a high pressure sphere under the drone. It's like creating a circle/ball of pressure under the bird. When the bird becomes involved with that bubble, becomes part of the bubble, the bird tends to drift right or left off the top of the bubble. Once this happens, the bird will roll in that direction and tend to flip over as the pressure no longer is affecting it, so it drops and crashes on it's side, destroying props in the process.
That's the reason they roll helicopters in and out of hangers.

Nearly every post I read about what ****s DJI are, or what a 'piece of ****' the Mavic is, I promptly also read some (or all) of these words: Excited. First flight. Indoors. Night. Tree. Testing distance. Demonstrating to friends / family. Compass calibration - why bother? Speed. New to drones. Etc. - you probably get my drift....

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Viciam and grizzard

Is this the same as VRS or Vortex Ring State? Also, I think this is what happened during the raid in Pakistan when they crashed one of the helicopters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000