DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I believe DJI sold me a refurbed Mavic as "new"

ibatman

Reactions
First, serial number ends in "R".
Second, the Mavic serial number indicates a build date of 1 March, but the controller states 15 January. Small differences are understandable, but a difference of over a month? On an item this popular? Unlikely.

Third, many of the contents arrived dirty.
-the clear sticker on the controller has large specs of dirt underneath of it, which creates a bubble and spec. I've only seen this when stickers are reapplied.
-the drone body, and the battery, and gimbal cover look like they've been handled with someone with a dirty/grease hands. It's hard to tell due to light.
-the sticker on the battery is peeling up, and is off center.

Is there any other way to confirm? The DJI CSR seemed like he didn't care. If my beliefs are confirmed, I plan on filing a complaint with my state's attorney general's office for consumer protection, and California's attorney general's office for consumer protection.

Attachments

• IMG_5284.JPG
    IMG_5284.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 498
  • IMG_5281.JPG
    IMG_5281.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 488
  • IMG_5282.JPG
    IMG_5282.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 514
  • IMG_5283.JPG
    IMG_5283.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 506
  • IMG_5279.JPG
    IMG_5279.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 499
  • IMG_5280.JPG
    IMG_5280.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 510
  • IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 497
  • IMG_5277.JPG
    IMG_5277.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 489
Can you return it free of charge? If so, and youre unhappy with DJI direct, go get one at Best Buy.
I better be able to, I missed DJI's after sales team by a few minutes tonight, will call in the morning. The bottom line though is this practice is illegal, and constitutes fraud...I wonder how many others don't even know?

If you read enough on this site, and I see youre new, you will see that DJI routinely sends out refurbed birds as Refresh replacements. That makes alot of people unhappy and wary of sending their birds in for minor repairs.

On a positive note, I have bought dozens of refurbed DJI products, and I have not had a single defective one in the bunch. The scratches and smudges you see on the bird and controller are going to happen anyway on your first few flights out. Bug smear, grass stains, pebbles, etc will soon turn your pristine machine into a battle hardened bird but thats normal wear and tear and wont make it fly any worse.

I understand that you are upset about getting what appears to be a refurbed bird, and if youre that upset then return it. But keep in mind that the Mavic is an aircraft, and they get dirty, broken, scratched etc unless you dont fly it.

This kinda thing has crossed my mind. Especially with all the posts about people returning their MP for a simple fix and then being returned a model with a whole different serial number. They've gotta be doing something with those MP's they're not returning repaired to the customer. I could maybe see the difference in manufacturing dates from the MP to the RC. I would imagine the RC's would come together a lot faster. I don't think they would build the RC and MP together. So the RC's are built possibly 5 to 1... or more. BUT.... something is being done with the rest of the MP that is returned for gimble failure and then kept while the customer is getting a whole nuther bird. Are they then replacing the gimble assembly and then reselling as new? This would suck, but has crossed my mind.

Reactions: lee053
Especially with all the posts about people returning their MP for a simple fix and then being returned a model with a whole different serial number.

Believe it or not, this is actually in the DJI Refresh care agreement that you must agree to before paying for it. Under Refresh, they are allowed to send you a new or refurbed bird.

"You will receive a unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability after paying the service charge specified in your DJI Care Refresh Service Agreement. The replacement’s S/N will be automatically bound to your DJI Care Refresh plan."

Believe it or not, this is actually in the DJI Refresh care agreement that you must agree to before paying for it. Under Refresh, they are allowed to send you a new or refurbed bird.

"You will receive a unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability after paying the service charge specified in your DJI Care Refresh Service Agreement. The replacement’s S/N will be automatically bound to your DJI Care Refresh plan."

I ordered a brand new drone, this was a retail transaction and not a repair transaction.

Reactions: dlopezjurado
If you read enough on this site, and I see youre new, you will see that DJI routinely sends out refurbed birds as Refresh replacements. That makes alot of people unhappy and wary of sending their birds in for minor repairs.

On a positive note, I have bought dozens of refurbed DJI products, and I have not had a single defective one in the bunch. The scratches and smudges you see on the bird and controller are going to happen anyway on your first few flights out. Bug smear, grass stains, pebbles, etc will soon turn your pristine machine into a battle hardened bird but thats normal wear and tear and wont make it fly any worse.

I understand that you are upset about getting what appears to be a refurbed bird, and if youre that upset then return it. But keep in mind that the Mavic is an aircraft, and they get dirty, broken, scratched etc unless you dont fly it.

I understand your point, but there is a reason refurbed products are priced lower than new, and why it's illegal to sell refurbished as new.

I'll let everyone know how tomorrow's call goes.

I do... and can see the point you're making here. If agreed upon, then you can expect a refurb on replacement. I even get what you're saying in your first post. Scratches an such are to be expected. I piss and moan when I get that 1st scratch on a new bike or car. You gotta realize though, shelling out $1300. (on a Fly More package.. not to mention accessories) is not pocket change for most. So when saving and giving up other 'toys' to purchase a new MP... one would then expect a new mp.. not a refurb.
I can remember a few weeks back a poster tried to sell an unopened MP as 'new' and was berated with comments about how it's not 'new' it's 'used'. So it would have to be listed as a lower then new price. Even though it was still original packaging new. How would DJI be any different selling a MP as new, full priced, if it is actually a refurb?

I'm not sayin' this is what happened to the OP here. I'm just sayin' I can see how it could be possible.

I do... and can see the point you're making here. If agreed upon, then you can expect a refurb on replacement. I even get what you're saying in your first post. Scratches an such are to be expected. I piss and moan when I get that 1st scratch on a new bike or car. You gotta realize though, shelling out $1300. (on a Fly More package.. not to mention accessories) is not pocket change for most. So when saving and giving up other 'toys' to purchase a new MP... one would then expect a new mp.. not a refurb.
I can remember a few weeks back a poster tried to sell an unopened MP as 'new' and was berated with comments about how it's not 'new' it's 'used'. So it would have to be listed as a lower then new price. Even though it was still original packaging new. How would DJI be any different selling a MP as new, full priced, if it is actually a refurb?

I'm not sayin' this is what happened to the OP here. I'm just sayin' I can see how it could be possible.

I agree. If DJI is selling refurbed drones as new, they are wrong and shouldnt be doing it. Period. It's like buying a used or previously wrecked car touted as new.

This kinda thing has crossed my mind. Especially with all the posts about people returning their MP for a simple fix and then being returned a model with a whole different serial number. They've gotta be doing something with those MP's they're not returning repaired to the customer. I could maybe see the difference in manufacturing dates from the MP to the RC. I would imagine the RC's would come together a lot faster. I don't think they would build the RC and MP together. So the RC's are built possibly 5 to 1... or more. BUT.... something is being done with the rest of the MP that is returned for gimble failure and then kept while the customer is getting a whole nuther bird. Are they then replacing the gimble assembly and then reselling as new? This would suck, but has crossed my mind.
No I think they are returning them to new care refresh claims..

Reactions: scooot
I would be upset but looking at the pictures I don't see anything that leaps out at me as being all that bad. Normally I would return it, but knowing DJI you might end up waiting a month and then getting back one in worst condition. When it comes to returns DJI leaves you with very few good choices! It's not like you can even fire it up to test it unless you activate it first which means you have already accepted the condition of the delivered product. :mad:

If your in the USA I would return it for a refund and then order a new one from Amazon or Best buy. At least with those companies you have no problems returning a Mavic directly.

Rob

First, serial number ends in "R".
Second, the Mavic serial number indicates a build date of 1 March, but the controller states 15 January. Small differences are understandable, but a difference of over a month? On an item this popular? Unlikely.

Third, many of the contents arrived dirty.
-the clear sticker on the controller has large specs of dirt underneath of it, which creates a bubble and spec. I've only seen this when stickers are reapplied.
-the drone body, and the battery, and gimbal cover look like they've been handled with someone with a dirty/grease hands. It's hard to tell due to light.
-the sticker on the battery is peeling up, and is off center.

Is there any other way to confirm? The DJI CSR seemed like he didn't care. If my beliefs are confirmed, I plan on filing a complaint with my state's attorney general's office for consumer protection, and California's attorney general's office for consumer protection.
You can fire up the app press the three dots in the camera menu, go to the battery and see if the battery has been charged before. Alternatively on the main page you can click the arrow to see if there were previous flights, just swipe sideways. After reviewing the pictures I do not see any issues, perhaps the light is bad.

Reactions: Matchlock
Well, confirmed this drone is in fact a refurb, looked at flight logs. It's logged flight times on January 9th 2017, which is before it's serial number "birth" date of 1 March.

Unbelievable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.43.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.43.36 PM.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 202
For what it's worth, I just ordered and received my MP from DJI -- my serial number ends with a letter also... "T".
The R on yours could be the 1/26 alphabetical coincidence.
Being that both of our MPs were delivered around the same time, wish that I had thoroughly inspected mine for any minor wear as you did -- I lack the patience; my MP lifted toward the sky as quickly as I could get it paired to the app.

Anxious to see how DJI responds. Hope you get to fly it soon, It's an amazing product.

Reactions: ibatman
Well, confirmed this drone is in fact a refurb, looked at flight logs. It's logged flight times on January 9th 2017, which is before it's serial number "birth" date of 1 March.

Unbelievable.

Could be part of an "image" (Macic's OS) that got installed. There is plenty of reason to be asking question but it's feels early to me to draw conclusions.

Reactions: ibatman
I do not want to feed into his fear but to be honest I have never seen a new drone with that many DAT files. I think 2 is the norm and each time he powers it on a new one will be created. If he uploads those DAT files to a dropbox account and links them I would be happy to let him know the history.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike