DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I contacted the local airport and .......

mikecorn.1

Reactions
I contacted the local regional airport and all they wanted to know is where I was going to be flying and how often. They took my name, number and FAA registration number and said that I was on file as calling in.
I told them I usually go once a week or so and that I always stay below the 400ft limit.

I don't know what to think about this. They made it sound as if as long as I stay below the 400ft mark and I did call in and give all my info, that I'm good to fly anytime from the location I gave them.

What is y'alls opinion on this? Yes, y'all is a Texas thing [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: andrew
In my area there are 4-5 heliports none seem to care what I do.

I did send all of them a notification letter and followed up with a phone call. I stated in the letter I will be flying the drone in the same proximity every Sunday for the next year along with all my contact/FAA info but got no responses from them.

So I guess I'm ok for 2017

Reactions: USPilot
I contacted the local regional airport and all they wanted to know is where I was going to be flying and how often. They took my name, number and FAA registration number and said that I was on file as calling in.
I told them I usually go once a week or so and that I always stay below the 400ft limit.

I don't know what to think about this. They made it sound as if as long as I stay below the 400ft mark and I did call in and give all my info, that I'm good to fly anytime from the location I gave them.

I read on the FAA's site that unless they explicitly deny you permission, you're allowed, and if they deny permission, they should tell you why.
I called my local airport (they have a phone number on their web site for a guy who handles drone-related questions) to ask about this, and he said that I was fine to fly. All they need to know usually is your registration number, where you'll be flying and about when.

He said if I ever want to fly it elsewhere, don't hesitate to give him a call and he'll help clarify what I can do and oughtn't do.

Sounds to me like you can fly your drone any time from there.

The lady of the phone had some type of questionnaire sheet that she was asking me the questions off of. I'm guessing that's how they handle things at this airport.

I don't know if I would give them my FAA number (unless that's required) - especially if they keep it 'on file' for future flights. That's like keeping an open bar tab... Murphy's Law will all but guarantee that if there's going to be something bad involving a drone, it won't be yours, but they'll have your info as the last/only point of contact.

I don't know if I would give them my FAA number (unless that's required) - especially if they keep it 'on file' for future flights. That's like keeping an open bar tab... Murphy's Law will all but guarantee that if there's going to be something bad involving a drone, it won't be yours, but they'll have your info as the last/only point of contact.

That doesn't bother me. If something were to happen and I know it wasn't me, they call me all they want and ask all the questions they want. I feel better knowing that I at least contacted them and I'm good to go. That's after a year of flying at the same location. [emoji3]LOL!!

What part of Texas?

First, thank you to all who contributed to Restricted Air Space experiences on line information!

Over three week period reading UAV experiences regarding flying in restricted areas, specifically within 5 miles of airports, contacting airports with intent to fly information, and meticulously recording my specific information, the time came to call airport.

I live 3.7 mi. from airport, next to river and conjoining Corp. of Engineers property. From my launch, land second story deck I can see further S., W. and E. then Mavic flying capabilities. To me the ability to walk out on deck and fly my Mavic is not only convenient but important. Blessed!

Having my Who, What, When, Where and Why information, down to my GPS longitude, latitude, compass heading to, from airport tower location and even Aviation Alphabet and Numbers - A Alpha B Bravo etc. wanting ability to speak aviation language...

Testing the waters, expecting less bureaucracy, I chose a Sunday to make first airport call. Automatic answering service - only reasonable option was to leave a message. Pushing the number button to leave a message I received the following message "Message box is full." :confused: Anticlimactic to say the least!

WHAT? I was so prepared to regurgitate any and all needed information. Averaging 150 daily flights, not a insignificant airport operation. I was a good UAV citizen and tryed filling obligations. Next time a weekday call...

I just read about sending airport "Letter of Intent" with location and timeframe. Interesting, but think I will first call.

Fly safe amigos

I admire your efforts.
One thing I wish folks here would do is acknowledge that controlled airspace is not restricted airspace.
Nearly all of these discussions involve controlled airspace.
Restricted airspace is entirely different.

I live within 2 miles of a class E airport. I called them the first time and the lady on the phone told me that since I was flying below 300' and basically in the neighborhood, I didn't need to call them each time. When I joked with her and said " I bet you get more and more calls everyday," she stated "more than you will ever know"

Thanks to Mavic Pilot site and those who went before me and provided good airport notification information.

I live 3.7 mile from an airport tower and wanted to establish my home/flight location with local airport. Above postings.

Airport recieved my detailed intention to fly in Controlled Airspace letter and called me.

The gentleman thanked me for the letter and told me I was good to fly per my "flight plan/route directions, as long as I stay under 400 feet. Twice reminded me to stay under 400 feet.

Also their is a T.F.R., Temporary Flight Restriction, during Unlimited Hydroplane Boat race weekend. Air show is included in the weekend.

We chatted about prior military service and how government bureaucracy is behind in fast developing UAS issues. Again, reminded me to stay under 400 feet and enjoy.

I ask about number of calls/letters regarding UASs. He responded lots and also receiving calls, complaints about people NOT notifying when flying in controled airspace. (Not doing our sport goodo_O.) Also reminded me to notify other airports if in their space.

Gentleman gave me his name and phone number and told me to call if I have any questions.

Mornings, able to step out on second floor bedroom deck in my underwear and launch Mavic is...is...is...Thumbswayup

Reactions: superdave5050
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots