DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my Mavic and need help finding out what happened - FOUND BY STARZ!

This is so exciting! And now this cliffhanger until we get to see the photos and the whole story! I never expected such drama when I joined this forum :)

Reactions: Michaelangelo
So thank you very much -- my wife and I have both been pretty lucky in life, and we try to pay it forward as much as possible.

But let's keep in mind -- the real work here was done by @Starz -- he's the one who took the time out of his day to go recover the drone, so he deserves the credit in my book.

The lesson here (in addition to being REALLY careful with your Mavic) is that there are still some good people in the world (and also some not-so-good). Drone flying is an excellent hobby, and we should all do our best to promote the community and that means we should all look after each other.
Absolutely - Well said - proud to know you guys
Paul

Back in town with a good internet signal that was not available at what we will now call "Mavic Mountain ". No video, but I did get some pictures that I will get in here later. I have some work related things I need to get done before end of day, so I'll be back!!
Great job man - proud of ya! Looking forward to footage & possibly pics of the state of the Mavic that you recovered for Pablo.
Paul

IMG_0113.JPG IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0116.JPG Not sure if Pablo is aware yet. I'm guessing not. There is a 7 or 8 hour time difference. Please don't forget that without the info provided by msinger, this would probably have a different outcome. This mp was exactly where his map showed it to be in earlier page. The video provided by Pablo was also a big help on finding where to start the climb up the rock. This rock outcropping was roughly 100 yards wide in both directions and about 100 feet tall from surrounding area. I had with me one of the guys that work for me who actually grew up in Nogales which is only 20 minutes away. Not an area to go into by oneself. There is a lot of border crosser activity but more that the climb could be tricky (very steep) and thought it better to have a backup in case of a fall. If this mp had gone down 6 feet farther west it would have tumbled down a 150 foot drop off. South, north and west face of this rock structure was too steep to climb without proper equipment. East face was the only access to the top. We both felt it would be best to get as high as possible for to us to see as much area as we could. The mp could have hit a cliff face and tumbled down in several different directions. We got almost to the top and looked into this 2 to 3 foot wide crack and bingo, there it was. Looked like it must have tried to land on a very steep rock face,took out some prop material and fell about 15 feet. So now, how to get it out of the crack? We hashed out a plan that we thought would work. The thought that this may not be worth the risk did come up. We had some rope and a hook that we brought in case we had to fish it off the side of a cliff face so I tied that around my chest with my helper holding on to the other end. Down the crack I went. Luckily he is twice my size so I was not to worried. The only concern I had was the drop off that was just on the other side of the mp,so I took my time and it all worked as planed. I'll post the pictures and then go through and explain them.

Last edited:
So the mp has a few battle scars, but overall for where it ended up, I think I came out pretty well. Those rocks are very rough. There is a small ding in the body case at the lower right corner where the battery goes in that I think is the worst one. Also notice the mark on the battery in that same area. Props, oh well, easily replaced. If you look at the gimbal, Pablo had a lense filter that saved it from a big hit. I will leave it alone for him to remove later as I'm sure he will want to keep it. The bottom of this unit is as new with front legs intact. I would have bet money that the legs would not have survived.

This is fantastic! You guys have done a great job!! A documentary video on this will surely be as good as any stunning aerial footage on YouTube.

Reactions: xblackxopsxsecretsx
So the mp has a few battle scars, but overall for where it ended up, I think I came out pretty well. Those rocks are very rough. There is a small ding in the body case at the lower right corner where the battery goes in that I think is the worst one. Also notice the mark on the battery in that same area. Props, oh well, easily replaced. If you look at the gimbal, Pablo had a lense filter that saved it from a big hit. I will leave it alone for him to remove later as I'm sure he will want to keep it. The bottom of this unit is as new with front legs intact. I would have bet money that the legs would not have survived.

Does it power up at all? Can you link your controller to it to see if it detects any issues? It's in incredible shape for what could have happen to it. Thankfully it only fell a short distance.

From my experience short falls result in new props and things are good.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Does it power up at all? Can you link your controller to it to see if it detects any issues? It's in incredible shape for what could have happen to it. Thankfully it only fell a short distance.

From my experience short falls result in new props and things are good.

It does power up. I do not have the controller. My mavic has not arrived yet. Ordered on 12/27 and has changed a few days ago to shipped. Not sure when the next stage will happen.

Reactions: TriggurHappyNorCal
I have sent Pablo a message (I think) with my email address so we can work on getting this one back across the pond. Here's some more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 806
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 826
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 836
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 806
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 819
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 808
  • IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 797
That is one reality show that I may watch J-Dub "Drone Hunters" lol Great work all! I have been glued to this blog!

43c54d5137326dfd2860bf624b350d34.jpg

This is a riveting thread!.... I spent the last 15 minutes reading it out to my wife. I was all ready to watch the recovery effort online Friday/Saturday. While I'm disappointed that I can't watch it live, it was a surprise and thrill to read that @Starz had recovered it. What a rescue. I wonder who will play each of you in the movie version?

Great job done @LawFlyer and @Starz. You are both stars!

I've decided that I'm coming to Arizona to do my flying!

Update. Just got a tracking number on mine. Should be here tomorrow. All in all a good day. Someone should send a link to this one to some of the folks from DJI. I think they are a little more active at the rc groups website than I have seen here. This one is surely a testament to their log system.

Holy ******* ****!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:DThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

This is absolutely insane! My heart is pumping reading all this :p:p

I can't believe the help I've received on here with this. Honestly it's blown me away! @Starz , @LawFlyer , @msinger and everyone else who went out of their way to help I am hugely grateful! What a great story! :DThumbswayup

@Starz Absolutely delighted yours it arriving too. I'd suggest not attempting Mavic Mountain for your first flight! :D I've emailed you so we can sort out sending it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka