DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I never stopped recording video when I RTH

ssjon7

Reactions
I was filming with my mavic when I had to RTH and forgot to stop filming when I turned everything off. I then imported all video files from SD to CPU and the one that I ended with showed the file being there and the size, but nothing will play it. If the video wasn't finished, is the something I need to do to "complete it" before I can watch it?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

This is common if you kill the power without stopping the video. Put the card back into the aircraft and turn it on, start the app, check the files within app, then turn it off and it should work then.

Reactions: ssjon7
Ouch. Sounds like the video file was truncated upon power off without writing the ending information to the Micro SD card. How large is the file? If not too large upload to a drop box location and share the link. I will download and see if I can view it for ya.

I was filming with my mavic when I had to RTH and forgot to stop filming when I turned everything off. I then imported all video files from SD to CPU and the one that I ended with showed the file being there and the size, but nothing will play it. If the video wasn't finished, is the something I need to do to "complete it" before I can watch it?

I'm curious how you powered down. Did you double press the power button on the battery and wait for it to completely turn off, or did you happen to remove the battery before turning the battery off (or waiting for it to shut down)?

In all the previous generation Phantoms I've had, if the power was turned off properly while recording, the video would be corrupt and unplayable. As @LuvMyTJ pointed out, simply powering back up the aircraft with the card in the camera would finish writing the last file - though the date and time would be WAY off.

I've YET to see that happen with the Mavic, though. In fact, I'd guess in at least 30-40% of my flights, I forget to stop recording before powering off. Even with that, I've not yet had a corrupt video file. I've either been very lucky, or they've improved the file closing process. I've not pulled the battery without waiting for it to completely shut off, though. Which is why I'm asking.

Reactions: halley
As mentioned above with luck putting the card back in and turning on it will still compete and close the recording properly as it's held in the buffer.
It's best to stop recording at least a minute before turning off the battery.

There are ways to recover most of the file if this doesn't work and it's something special.

This is common if you kill the power without stopping the video. Put the card back into the aircraft and turn it on, start the app, check the files within app, then turn it off and it should work then.

Should I put the file back onto the card first? I cleared the card after importing.

I've YET to see that happen with the Mavic, though. In fact, I'd guess in at least 30-40% of my flights, I forget to stop recording before powering off. Even with that, I've not yet had a corrupt video file. I've either been very lucky, or they've improved the file closing process. I've not pulled the battery without waiting for it to completely shut off, though. Which is why I'm asking.

This is my experience also. Even if I do the power-off button bounce, I have seen the Mavic's tail light flash for another three or four seconds. Litchi voice announces that recording has been stopped. By that time, the Mavic has had plenty of time to stop recording. After the flashing ends, Litchi announces signal lost.

Now, the write speed of the card may be a factor here. I bought the fastest-write 64GB card I could find, and never even tried to use the dinky stock card.

Reactions: HarryMerkin
I'm curious how you powered down. Did you double press the power button on the battery and wait for it to completely turn off, or did you happen to remove the battery before turning the battery off (or waiting for it to shut down)?

In all the previous generation Phantoms I've had, if the power was turned off properly while recording, the video would be corrupt and unplayable. As @LuvMyTJ pointed out, simply powering back up the aircraft with the card in the camera would finish writing the last file - though the date and time would be WAY off.

I was over the ocean and it required RTH, so I did it, landed it, powered off the battery on MP, then powered off the controller.
I will say that I believe this happened just 2 days ago as well and I deleted the corrupt one not thinking I could save it. And now that I think of it- it's all been since the most recent GO4 update. (Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

That worked! Much appreciated-

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50