DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was all ready to call the control tower, but they said don't bother...

...does this apply just to Hilton head or everywhere??

Hilton Head’s unqualified, blanket statement is advising some UAS operators to violate FAA regulations.

A distinction must be made between operating for recreation and operating under Part 107 certification. The FAA website in question, FAA Publishes First Set of UAS Facility Maps, refers to Part 107.

Unless there is some other indication from the FAA, recreational operation is still covered by Option #1 in Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions (Option #2 refers to Part 107.)

Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

• Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  • Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  • Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  • Give way to manned aircraft
  • Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport

Corrections are welcome. Please don’t take my word for this. Do your own research

In the few experiences I've had contacting airports and their respective managers the response has been very positive. They're usually surprised by the call then ask when, and where you're going to fly... Then they ask if you intend to stay below four hundred feet.. Then, my experiences have included a nice "fly safe" and "follow the rules" suggestion as we say goodbye..

Stay professional, polite and to the point! We can all share the sky!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa