DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If this is your EDC drone, what to do about battery charge?

erkme73

Reactions
One of the most appealing aspects to the Mavic, and why I pulled the trigger, is the ability to have it in the car with me at all times - as well as the virtual instant setup/launch time. But, given that I likely won't be using it every day - there's a good chance it'll sit unused for days at a time.

Thus, rolling up on a crash, storm, picture perfect sunset, or if the impulse hits to launch quickly, what are the odds the batteries will be ready to go? I know with the previous Phantoms (and presumably the Mavic), the batteries shouldn't be stored fully charged. In fact, with the smart batteries, they will self-discharge to 50% after a couple of days.

If those limitations/design features exist on the Mavic batteries, and we're not supposed to fly on anything other than a fully charged battery, I'm guessing having an always-ready-to-go Mavic is probably unrealistic.

Or, is there some way around this?

The Mavic batteries operate just like the Phantom batteries. The best you could do is set them up to auto discharge after 10 days in the DJI GO app.

The Mavic batteries operate just like the Phantom batteries. The best you could do is set them up to auto discharge after 10 days in the DJI GO app.
That seems reasonable, but, would that harm the batteries? In theory I'd either fly within those 10 days, or recharge them every 10 days... Either way they'd spend nearly all of their stored time at the full state. I guess if it shortens the battery life, for $89 per battery it's not THAT bad.

I've never seen a detailed test comparing that discharge setting when set to both extremes, but I doubt there's going to be much of a difference lifespan-wise if you keep them charged for up to 10 days. I'd be more concerned about storing the batteries in a hot car. That could certainly cause damage.

That seems reasonable, but, would that harm the batteries? In theory I'd either fly within those 10 days, or recharge them every 10 days... Either way they'd spend nearly all of their stored time at the full state. I guess if it shortens the battery life, for $89 per battery it's not THAT bad.
A lot of RC guys I know won't charge their batteries until they get to the field. Even one day fully charged will degrade the battery to some degree. Too extreme for me though.

I know you're not supposed to charge batteries immediately after flying but does anyone know the recommended wait time before recharging? Not to hack this thread..

Just wait until it's back to ambient temperature..

Are the Mavic batteries the same as the P3 ones, in that they will not start charging until they cool down to a preset level? I used to plug all 3 of my P3 batteries in to a charging block right after flying and they would report too hot to charge, and wait until cooled to start charging on their own.

The batteries won't allow you to charge them when they are too warm. By touching them, you'll eventually get a feel of when the are cool enough to be charged again.

Good info, looks like you can just put them on the charger and let it do its thing when its ready.

Be careful not to leave your Mavic in a "hot" environment. Storing in a hot vehicle will likely cause even bigger problems than the aforementioned battery issue. Perhaps leaving 1 battery fully charged and just throwing another on the charger while flying with the other.

Reactions: Bcornell11
I just plug them in directly after a flight, and they start changing when they fall within the set temperature range.

Reactions: Bcornell11
Not wanting to hijack this i have a related question ... i have a combo pack coming so three batteries if i fly and drain them to 30% do i need to charge them back to 50% to store them or 100% and let the smart function bring them back to 50% ??

You should keep them between 30-65% charged when they are in storage. If you're going to store them for a few weeks and beyond, charge the battery until the 3rd light starts blinking. There is no need to charge them completely.

3rdLight.png

Reactions: Anthony
Thank you msinger

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom