DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm almost ready to pack my Mavic back to DJI for a refund

BerndM

Reactions
I have tried unsuccessfully to install the DJI Assistant 2 program on all 4 of my Windows computers and the thing doesn't work on ANY of them. I downloaded the Windows version of the program and I installed it on my PCs and I follow the directions as shown in the DJI video on updating the firmware and what I see on the screen in no way resembles anything shown in the tutorial. I can't even get past the opening screen which ONLY shows me how to hook up the cable to an Inspire 2 and that is where it ends. It won't let me go any further. I have tried it on 2 Windows XP machines, one Windows 7 and one Windows 10, all without getting anywhere.
Has anyone else had this issue? I am literally right on the verge of sending it all back for a refund.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bernd

It shouldn't be this difficult to do a simple thing like an update. It was so much simpler on my Yuneec Q500+ 4K and even my old original DJI F450 Flamewheel.
Just to make sure I had a good downloaded version of the program, I downloaded each one directly from DJI.com to each of my PCs just to make sure. I guess it causes me to question the reliability of the entire DJI system if it won't even let me update the equipment.
I'm 100% sure I am following all the directions from the tutorial so I'm just very confused and upset by the whole thing right now.

The assistant won't move off this initial screen until it recognises an attached drone (normal). So Power on your Mavic with USB connecting it to pc. This should trigger the next screen which will show connected devices (Mavic) ... click the icon and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

When you are at the main screen where it tells you to plug in and gives you a tutorial on how to plug in an inspire 2, you now need to plug in your mavic and turn it on (remembering to remove gimbal clamp if fitted or it will not initialise and bugger up the camera gimbal)This will take you through to the mavic setup page.

Reactions: mavin
Upgrading IS very simple, just do it through the DJIgo4 app. Why complicate things by trying to do it through your PC?

Here's a video showing how to install the firmware using DJI GO:

Yea, I downloaded the assistant to my Windows Vista laptop and it gave me the same screen. I also have a 10" HP laptop with Windows 10 and it also gave me the same screen. I had the MP powered up. Not sure if suppose to have RC connected also? I finally gave up.

I have tried unsuccessfully to install the DJI Assistant 2 program on all 4 of my Windows computers and the thing doesn't work on ANY of them. I downloaded the Windows version of the program and I installed it on my PCs and I follow the directions as shown in the DJI video on updating the firmware and what I see on the screen in no way resembles anything shown in the tutorial. I can't even get past the opening screen which ONLY shows me how to hook up the cable to an Inspire 2 and that is where it ends. It won't let me go any further. I have tried it on 2 Windows XP machines, one Windows 7 and one Windows 10, all without getting anywhere.
Has anyone else had this issue? I am literally right on the verge of sending it all back for a refund.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bernd
The program is 64 bit so you need to make sure your PC is also 64 bit. It's won't work with XP. You also need to unplug the USB cable on the top right of the controller and plug a micro USB cable there, the other end to your PC.

OK, thanks for all the responses. I tried the DJI Go 4 app on my phone and following the DJI video tutorial on the update procedure I still couldn't get it to work but I figured it out that you had to power on the controller and the Mavic to continue, which the DJI tutorial failed to mention. Oh well, all good and it turned out my controller and Mavic were running the latest FW already.
Thanks again. Now if only this darn wind would die down, I'll do some test flying in Beginner mode.
:eek:

Reactions: Slantnose79
OK, thanks for all the responses. I tried the DJI Go 4 app on my phone and following the DJI video tutorial on the update procedure I still couldn't get it to work but I figured it out that you had to power on the controller and the Mavic to continue, which the DJI tutorial failed to mention. Oh well, all good and it turned out my controller and Mavic were running the latest FW already.
Thanks again. Now if only this darn wind would die down, I'll do some test flying in Beginner mode.
:eek:

Actually i updated my Mavic adn controller both separately and it was fine. it did initially take a while recognize though and i think it was because I hadn't registered the drone yet.

Actually i updated my Mavic adn controller both separately and it was fine. it did initially take a while recognize though and i think it was because I hadn't registered the drone yet.

That woul do it. Register it then update.. I've done it via DJI go without registering too though scratching head,...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The wind FINALLY calmed down enough to take the Mavic out for its maiden flight. I supposed the 9900 mile flight from ShenZhen China doesn't really count, does it?:rolleyes:
I was very impressed flying it around the back yard. I stayed in beginner mode for flights 1 & 2.
Nice. Very nice.
Thanks for your comments.
:)

Reactions: cheekymonkeyman
Here's a video showing how to install the firmware using DJI GO:

Unfortunately the video doesn't demonstrate the screens from the DJI GO 4 version of the app recommended in the current 1.2 version of the manual from DJI's Mavic download site. I note that the cuuent version of the Quick Start Guide continues to instruct users to install the older DJI GO app. I've attached screens from my LG G4 showing that an update was required yet no means of initiating the process was available. I clicked the green banner in the 1st screen and it took me to the screen showing the size of the download in a blue font. Although the font and blue rectangle implied a link, it did not respond to a tap.

The third screen shows a pop up message saying 'No Latest Version Detected' in response to clicking the 'Check For Update' link. This appeared before the update and after I finally managed to get the firmware updated on the Mavic components. Perhaps that addresses updates to the GO 4 app but there is no explanation. Curiously, the message implies I have some kind of non-current version installed and no remedy.

I purchased the set that includes 3 batteries and the basic charging hub. It turns out that the hub manual states the hub also has updateable firmware but it seems there is no upgrade yet available. The DJI hub manual says to get hub updates from their Mavic downloads page. As there wasn't a specific hub upgrader link, I installed the Assistant 2 software and connected the hub. The instructions say to power up the hub but I couldn't find a way to power it on. I connected it via USB and tried it with and without batteries and plugged in and unplugged but the Assistant 2 software didn't detect the hub after Windows USB recognized the hub and drivers were installed and a few reboots to ensure I tried everything.

Anyway, I finally managed go get the Mavic and RC contoller firmware upgraded and that in turn upgraded the 1st drone battery firmware. There doesn't seem to be any means to check the hub firmware and plugging batteries into the hub doesn't share firmware versions as it turned out that when I plugged in my second battery into the Mavic and connected the controller, it reported inconsistent firmware. That apparently resolved the inconsistency but, when I plugged in the 3rd battery, no inconsistent firmware notification was displayed so it must have been provided with previoulsly inconsistent firmware resolved by the drone upgrade or it happened without notification.

I contacted DJI help and after more than 48 hours I received a clueless response that linked the video above. The person did not answer a single question I asked.

Is it really not possible to check the firmware versions of the various USB hardware components in this day and age. I can't comprehend DJI's lack of clear and concise instructions given their target market.

I am a software developer, 45 year serious hobby photographer and have built and flown radio control for decades and have built and flown 250 class FPV drones.

DJI should not be allowed to release any hardware until they provide clear and comprehensive instructions. I've seen a ton of crap and misinformation and inconsistent terminology on the various forums and youtube and there needs to be a single authoratative reference tool that is updated to resolve ambiguities and reflect the available hardware and software. This is amateur hour and I don't understand why buyers don't have minimum standards and expectations from companies that clearly have the means and resouces to respect consumers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-30-17-32-22.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-30-17-32-22.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2017-01-30-17-32-37.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-30-17-32-37.png
    406.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_2017-01-30-17-35-41.png
    Screenshot_2017-01-30-17-35-41.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 29
I just checked the Mavic downloads page and the Quick Start Guide in my downloads from yesterday is version 1.0 and today it is 1.2 and the page says it was updated Jan 17. Curiously when I downloaded it today, it offered to replace the version from yesterday. Yesterday's download filename is the same as today's but with a smaller file size. Screenshot attached.

At least they now both reference the DJI GO 4 App.

Since I posted, DJI responded to my request for help suggesting I get a different phone and again suggested I use the DJI GO App. It seems the help people don't know the manuals suggest the newer 4 version.

Has anyone else used an LG G4 with the DJI GO 4 App?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-04-10-59-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-04-10-59-26.png
    381.2 KB · Views: 27
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3