DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm almost ready to pack my Mavic back to DJI for a refund

OK, thanks for all the responses. I tried the DJI Go 4 app on my phone and following the DJI video tutorial on the update procedure I still couldn't get it to work but I figured it out that you had to power on the controller and the Mavic to continue, which the DJI tutorial failed to mention. Oh well, all good and it turned out my controller and Mavic were running the latest FW already.
Thanks again. Now if only this darn wind would die down, I'll do some test flying in Beginner mode.
:eek:

This is what makes me roll my eyes at posts like "My Mavic crashed to earth, It must have been a Faulty unit", etc.
Millenials ;)

Unfortunately the video doesn't demonstrate the screens from the DJI GO 4 version of the app
Small screen differences aside, the upgrade process is the same for all versions of DJI GO and DJI GO 4.

It turns out that the hub manual states the hub also has updateable firmware but it seems there is no upgrade yet available.
Right -- no firmware updates have been released yet.

DJI should not be allowed to release any hardware until they provide clear and comprehensive instructions.
The video I linked above is pretty clear. It looks like you're spending too much time getting caught up in the small details that don't really matter.

Yes the video was clear but it showed a button to click to launch the download and install that did not appear on the version of the app I had on my phone so no matter how clear, it is not helpful. I had no way of knowing whether that related to a versioning issue and DJI technical support was completely useless in resolving my question and gave me information about using an app they no longer recommend on the website.

Some of this may seem minutia to old DJI hands but this is my first interaction with them and I have as yet no confidence in DJI as I don't have experience with any of their products. There is a dearth of clear and concise factual information. I paid a good chunk of change and expect accurate help.

You state with authority that no firmware updates for the charging hub are available and it would be great if you were a technical spokesperson for DJI so I can proceed. If you are, then thank you. If not, where do I get this information from DJI?

Charging hub? How complicated do you think that thing is? I am surprised it has updateable firmware at all; it's just routing a few volts to different ports based on overall battery levels. If this ever gets an update, I'll be shocked but probably not even bother to install it.

I've only ever seen an update released for the P3 charging hub. DJI hasn't released an update for the P4 charging hub either.

Again, this is my first DJI product. As far as I knew this is the first and only hub they've ever made and if there have been hubs for other products, they've had 40 firmware updates.

Step one on page 8 of the linked hub manual states: "Download the latest firmware update program from the official DJI website.
(Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads"

As far as I can tell their firmware update program is the DJI Assistant 2 software available from that url. At least, that was the only way I was able to update the firmware on the controller, drone and hopefully, all 3 of my batteries.

Step 2 says to turn on the hub before connecting it to a computer but there is no instruction about how to turn it on. If they meant I should plug it into the wall or connwct a battery, perhaps they could use the correct words. I tried the German and French instructions and they are equally cryptic.

In any event, the Assistant 2 software didn't detect the hub so was unable to establish a firmware version.

I made a guess that DJI used a separate software program to update hub firmware and since none was listed, perhaps none existed. It's equally possible that any hub update would be distributed as an update to the Assistant 2 program and, as that failed to detect the hub, no update was yet available. Or it could mean the hub has a defect.

In the mean time, there is nothing but internet rumor substantiating a guess as there is nothing from DJI that addresses the question.

If the hub has firmware, what is the current version and how do I query the hardware for the installed version.

I don't understand why people are getting uppity about a newbie asking some simple straight forward questions about some equipment I spent $1,750 Cdn on. Why doesn't DJI just explain rather than leave it to internet conjecture?

As I already commented above, no updates have been released for the Mavic charging hub. When/If DJI releases an update, you'll be able to download it from the Mavic downloads page.

Here ya go, try contacting this guy at DJI. Report back how it goes with the firmware version search...

[email protected]

Yeah right. Perhaps [email protected]

I'll skip using the hub for the time being. I hope to obtain information through official channels rather than holier than thou unsubstantiated guess work.

At least I know not to ask here for help.

I hope to obtain information through official channels rather than holier than thou unsubstantiated guess work.
If you're referring to me, I'm not guessing. I'm sharing facts and genuinely trying to answer your questions. It seems you really don't want to be helped though.

Yeah right. Perhaps [email protected]

I'll skip using the hub for the time being. I hope to obtain information through official channels rather than holier than thou unsubstantiated guess work.

At least I know not to ask here for help.

Well, Wang is the CEO, so he's got that going for him, which is nice

Sorry but i haven't seen anything to back up your assertions. I assume you are correct but where's the provenance? Repeating a position vehemently doesn't make it true. If DJI ever updated firmware for a different hub through a stand alone application that alone would not prove they would not subsequently improve in that process.

All I've said is that the words you quoted and are relying on as proof do not necessarily convey what you say they do. The words are equivocal. If you have real information, what is the source? If the only source is your interpretation of the manual, I'm on my own. I have had several issues with my as yet unflown Mavic and DJI software and have not attained a level of comfort with any of their documentation.

You may have a solid reputation here but even that leaves doubt as you haven't revealed a source other than one I find completely inadequate.

I can do without the hub and choose my own charging sequence.

In the meantime, I hope people begin to hold DJI accountable for clear and unequivocal manuals.

The manual is crystal clear. You must download a program to update the hub's firmware. No such program has been released yet since DJI has not released a firmware update for the hub.

FYI, I own hubs for 4 different DJI products. All of them are updated just like this.

Reactions: MoHo
I'll start off by apologizing for this rant.
OMG. This dude (@Jwelz) has zero common sense. For someone coming off as needing to know every minute detail, he obviously didn't do his homework. First off, you're dissing one of the foremost authorities on DJI products and one of the most respected members on this forum. Research that before you say you don't believe him without some sort of "fact sheet" or bibliography, or 10 minimum references. He's here to help, not take crap from some pompous newbie. Second, DJI is a chinese company that makes fantastic products, provides good backend service, and sometimes questionable front end customer service. But they don't screw you over. Expectations not being met is your fault, you should know better. After as many years on this earth you have been, you will have learned the earth does not revolve around you or your specific needs. Third, I guess you are a two dimensional thinker as well with little extrapolative thought processes to help you out. Can't help you there.
Msinger would not say any of this. Reading his posts, he is above this. He may not even approve. But dude, if you want to be taken seriously and maybe respected, show some yourself.
Off my soapbox now. Again, sorry for the rant. I have my own faults. One of my many is lack of tolerance for disrespectful behavior and not taking responsibility.

Thanks. I'll govern myself accordingly. The only thing that's crystal clear is that you believe that the photos of the Trump inauguration obviously show more people than Obama's 2009 inauguation. The logic is inextricably entwined.

I'll start off by apologizing for this rant.
OMG. This dude (@Jwelz) has zero common sense.
...snip...
Off my soapbox now. Again, sorry for the rant. I have my own faults. One of my many is lack of tolerance for disrespectful behavior and not taking responsibility.
I figure he's just trolling and threadjacking to amuse himself.
I suspected he might be a second account that was posted to by mistake in the same thread, but I dunno. Don't care.
Msinger has done a better job of providing info respectfully than some of us would. The OP hasn't posted since the first page, and the threadjack has run its course, so this thread can just die out and maybe he will just drift off.

Reactions: Strafe1
Thanks. I'll govern myself accordingly. The only thing that's crystal clear is that you believe that the photos of the Trump inauguration obviously show more people than Obama's 2009 inauguation. The logic is inextricably entwined.
Kinda random.....

I have tried unsuccessfully to install the DJI Assistant 2 program on all 4 of my Windows computers and the thing doesn't work on ANY of them. I downloaded the Windows version of the program and I installed it on my PCs and I follow the directions as shown in the DJI video on updating the firmware and what I see on the screen in no way resembles anything shown in the tutorial. I can't even get past the opening screen which ONLY shows me how to hook up the cable to an Inspire 2 and that is where it ends. It won't let me go any further. I have tried it on 2 Windows XP machines, one Windows 7 and one Windows 10, all without getting anywhere.
Has anyone else had this issue? I am literally right on the verge of sending it all back for a refund.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bernd

Dont use a computer you are just making harder for your self, just your smart phone or tablet takes less that 10 Minutes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S