DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMHO this is the number one problem with the Mavic!

Robbyg

Reactions
The biggest problem and maybe the only problem with the Mavic Pro is the complete lack of detailed documentation. The manual for the Mavic is about 20% complete. It tells you whats in the menu and sometimes explains what the option does but it rarely gives you any context of how different setting interact and scenarios were you want to use one setting versus another. It also lacks any detailed flight info or emergency procedures or best practices etc. As for the DJI Go software, I cannot find a manual for it, just the 4 pages that scrape over the basics at the end of the Mavic manual.
DJI come on guys you have 1 page in the Manual dedicated to RTH. Really!
And the camera has just about no info, my Sons kiddy camera has more online documentation than the Mavic's Camera. Lastly they don't even include a Mavic pre-flight checklist that is written by the DJI engineers and pilots? The community has to write their own!

I have watched at least 100+ YouTube videos and I got to give these guys credit, they are filling in many of the blanks in the manual but at the end of the day there is a lot of conflicting information on YouTube. This Forum is probably the best source for accurate info but it's a growing knowledge base and it does not direct you step by step.

IMHO most crashes seem to occur because people do not understand how some of the critical features work. Maybe the did not watch enough videos or read enough articles. If they just go by the manual they are going to get a lot of surprises. I know almost everyone will crash at some point, but a lot of the crashes could be avoided if people were better educated on flying the Mavic and yes it's obvious that some people are just impatient and reckless.

The first person to write a complete book AKA the Bible on how to use the DJI Mavic Pro is going to make some serious money. It may take time but if you can get a proper book written that covers hardware and software and get it up on Amazon in eReader format it will sell thousands of copies. I would gladly put out $20 right now for a properly done 400+ page user guide and I would go as high as $40 for a physical book.

Rob

IMHO most crashes seem to occur because people do not understand how some of the critical features work.
Agreed. But, I'd say nearly every crash I've analyzed occurred due to something that was covered in the Mavic manual.

I agree with you Robbyg...

What I also find funny is when some people ask a question (weather here or on FB) you will get replys saying..... Did you read the manual DOH!! :eek:

Then trying to find the thing you are looking in the manual is under some category and or under some place it takes a while to find.

The Mavic does allot...... But we need a serious manual that can be referenced.

Agreed. But, I'd say nearly every crash I've analyzed occurred due to something that was covered in the Mavic manual.

The Mavic manual covers everything if you consider a one sentence explanation as something being "covered".

Rob

Anyone feel like authoring "Mavic Pro for Dummies," or maybe "Mavic Pro, the Missing Manual?"

That was my first though :D
It might be the first time in the last 20 years that I bought a Dummies Book ;)

Sure, there is certainly room for improvement in some areas of the manual. It would be interesting know if those who crashed even read the manual.

I agree with you Robbyg...

What I also find funny is when some people ask a question (weather here or on FB) you will get replys saying..... Did you read the manual DOH!! :eek:

Then trying to find the thing you are looking in the manual is under some category and or under some place it takes a while to find.

The Mavic does allot...... But we need a serious manual that can be referenced.

Yes it's true, the manual does have just about everything mentioned but as you said it's under some category that is hard to find, has very few if any details and is most likely not obviously related to what your trying to do.

I love stuff like the Pre-Flight List from DJI

1.Remote controller, Intelligent Flight Battery, and mobile device are fully charged.
2. Propellers are mounted correctly and firmly.
3.Micro SD card has been inserted, if necessary.
4.Gimbal is functioning normally.
5.Motors can start and are functioning normally.
6.The DJI GO 4 app is successfully connected to the aircraft.
7. Ensure that the sensors for the Forward and Downward Vision System are clean.

So where are the 30 other things that should be checked?

Another example is that a proper manual should have a big section on Error messages and not only what they mean but the solutions that you should use to safely land the Mavic given the error you are receiving.

Another problem that I have heard people talk a lot about, is going into Sport mode to stop an App or the software commands from doing what it is doing. What I am not sure of is what happens if you go back to P-Mode? Does it restart the same internal software commands or is that all stopped for good when Sport is engaged? I am also confused about Litchi and other third party software packages. If they are used do they leave ANY programming info in the Mavic and if they do when is that stuff cleared out of memory? On Power off or would it clear if I paused the drone in mid air and closed Litchi and opened DJI Go 4?

I have tons of questions like that which I am trying find answers to by piecing together Posts and Videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jengle and Phil_r
Volkswagen for dummies. I remember that one. The guy made a fortune I think!!

LOL Yes!
The publisher must have made a fortune in the 1990's :)

Rob

I like how the mp initial mode startup new is in beginners mode. I've read the manual and I don't remember any details of how the mavic operates except for a 30m limit. I even checked twice to see if rth worked in beginners mode. Nothing. For the mp to have soo many features, I also agree, the manual is very limited.

Reactions: Robbyg
I used to fly a Blade 350 QX, crashed and rebuilt it several times, each one was my fault because I wasn't quite up to speed on how it worked. I do believe that there are some issues with the MP, especially when some use auto take-off and it takes off and just quits and falls from the sky. The only problem I've had so far is from what I believe to be flying too close to power lines and inadequate compass calibration.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Documentation on all of DJI's products could be better but IMHO the Mavics primary problem is it that it's pretty delicate. The Phantoms seem more crash worthy from what I've seen and read. That's the price for a lightweight compact unit with folding arms and a miniaturized gimble and camera I reckon.

I may opt to spend some more time with a little cheap drone buzzing through trees to sharpen my skills a bit more before I put the Mavic on duty. My P3A has been a tank save some occasional prop damage. But then again, the P3 doesn't pack easily on the motorcycle and the Mavic will! ;)

KTM_zpskwysfamz.jpg

Reactions: Tomdog
Anyone feel like authoring "Mavic Pro for Dummies," or maybe "Mavic Pro, the Missing Manual?"
If someone or a group of experienced quad pilots put together a "Mavic Pro flight book for Dummies" DJI would be smart to offer it as part of the "Fly More / Crash Less" package, right ?
The YouTube videos are helpful but the quality is all over the map. A straight forward how to guide starting with Basic flight for Beginners thru the advanced modes would be a really great help.

Reactions: Junade and Robbyg
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
If someone or a group of experienced quad pilots put together a "Mavic Pro flight book for Dummies" DJI would be smart to offer it as part of the "Fly More / Crash Less" package, right ?
The YouTube videos are helpful but the quality is all over the map. A straight forward how to guide starting with Basic flight for Beginners thru the advanced modes would be a really great help.
I don't think its possible to pose every question and an answer to each one in one package. The time aspect alone would be massive. But I do wish someone would.

IMHO "in my humble opinion"?? right
Boy I printed out and refer to the acronym list posted here a lot BUT not a long time TEXTER so still have to "google" a lot

Yeah I too find the manual not so detail about the options. It breifly describes them but not fully at times. .

Reactions: Robbyg

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929