DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Improved 3D printed lens hood for DJI Mavic Pro

heo3480

Reactions
This is a remix of the Mavic Pro Glare shield by Motley74.
For some reason, the original version(s) did not fit entirely.

To be honest I don't like it. I really think molded plastic is the way to go with the dome.

...I think it should be matte black for optical/reflection reasons - I've got and used the fstop version and it kept showing in frame from the left (...as the opening is not centered because the lens is not centered) - I have shaved back about a 1/4" with a dremel grinder, but the shade still shows up occasionally during a turn or when the wind is blowing hard - will try to shave back even more, but predict that then it will be too short on that side and it will then not do anything to block the sun (...though the whole unit does act as a wee airbrake!)

Is it possible to get one of these to experiment with?

@flyNfrank there is a link to the stl file in the description

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using MavicPilots mobile app

Thanks for the heads up! However, I don't have my own 3d printer. I was hoping to come across someone that might be interested in doing some further development. I would like see something created with less opening and more aerodynamic. Possibly narrowing the current opening and including visors, and a few air vents.

...I'm thinking that because of the lateral movement of the gimbal, an unattached shade would have to have such a wide opening cut out of the dome as to be ineffectual - perhaps adding extensions that are more in the shape of standard lens shade extensions, petal style? - of course this would be the opposite of making it more aerodynamic - hmmm, perhaps a lens shade attached directly to the little lens would be the most effective method with the least amount of material needed (...I think I've seen those for phantoms), but then will it mess up the gimbal operation?

hmmm, perhaps a lens shade attached directly to the little lens would be the most effective method with the least amount of material needed (...I think I've seen those for phantoms), but then will it mess up the gimbal operation?

The problem of a petal sun shade is that, once applied, you cannot mount on the camera a ND filter. And if you are really interested in having cinematic footage, then it is a must-have.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

...how about if the lens shade just screwed on to the ND, like in regular photography? - or snapped on/snugged over an ND, like the mavic PolarPro NDs snap/snug on to the lens? - I think it would just have to have wicked thin but very strong walls to stay gripped, yet still fit without getting in the way of gimbal movement...

Reactions: Jake
...how about if the lens shade just screwed on to the ND, like in regular photography? - or snapped on/snugged over an ND, like the mavic PolarPro NDs snap/snug on to the lens? - I think it would just have to have wicked thin but very strong walls to stay gripped, yet still fit without getting in the way of gimbal movement...

Gimbal cannot hold that weight

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It would cause a gimbal calibration error during startup and would need to be attached after the Mavic has been turned on.. There is basically no clearance on the side during gimbal calibration..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll