DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU Calibration Issue

PNWsquid

Reactions
Guys, I'm trying to re-calibrate the IMU as I was noticing some strange behavior on a flight today.

Here is the problem: When following the instructions, 1. power up the remote, 2. drone (folded), 3. then DJI GO app, I immediately get "Mag interference" warning on the remote which seems to be directly connected to the drone being folded. I then have to recalibrate the compass and can never make it to the IMU calibration screen because with the drone folded, I have compass errors...

Am I completely missing something here?

Would appreciate some insight!

Guys, I'm trying to re-calibrate the IMU as I was noticing some strange behavior on a flight today.

Here is the problem: When following the instructions, 1. power up the remote, 2. drone (folded), 3. then DJI GO app, I immediately get "Mag interference" warning on the remote which seems to be directly connected to the drone being folded. I then have to recalibrate the compass and can never make it to the IMU calibration screen because with the drone folded, I have compass errors...

Am I completely missing something here?

Would appreciate some insight!
Simple. Unfold the drone.

Are you having the Mavic folded up before turning it on? I think that sounds like what you are doing.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Simple. Unfold the drone.

The drone needs to be folded for IMU calibration.
Try power on the RC, start DJI Go, then power on the drone and go to the calibration as soon as the gimbal initializes. This is how I've done it without issue.
May need to try a different location also, if you still have magnetic interference?

Nope, I've tried it on tile and wood NOT set on concrete with rebar.

I do think I can just do the IMU and then recalibrate the compass and get flying again, but my concern is that I shouldn't have to.

Did this behavior just show up after one of the past updates? Remember that people are getting a lot more compass warnings while flying that were previously not showing up on your screen before. Maybe this is related.

Ignore the Magnetic interference warning and just complete the IMU calibration. The magnetic interference will always pop up if you are indoors. I've done my IMU with the warning and it has worked out fine.

If you stick to the rule below for re-calibration, then you should be fine.
Indoors on levelled surface: IMU (cold) and GIMBAL.
Outdoors in an open grassy field: Compass.

Reactions: Kilrah
Did this behavior just show up after one of the past updates? Remember that people are getting a lot more compass warnings while flying that were previously not showing up on your screen before. Maybe this is related.

Unfortunately it's new enough that I don't have much data to compare, I've only had the device a few days and working off this single firmware.

Ignore the Magnetic interference warning and just complete the IMU calibration. The magnetic interference will always pop up if you are indoors. I've done my IMU with the warning and it has worked out fine.

That's where I'm at - did the IMU by just avoiding the warnings...I guess I should probably do the gimbal as well.

Thanks for the pointer on compass, I was doing it indoors previously.

That's where I'm at - did the IMU by just avoiding the warnings...I guess I should probably do the gimbal as well.

Thanks for the pointer on compass, I was doing it indoors previously.

You absolutely need to do the compass outside, away from any buildings, power lines, metal, etc.

Thank you guys so much for all the help. Really appreciate it. This forum has to act as DJI's "manual" as the documentation is so weak for such an awesome and content-packed device!

I also got this warning when trying to calibrate the IMU for the first time. As soon as I power off the drone and UNFOLD the arms and reboot, the "magnetic interference/compass error" message goes away on my controller. I have put the drone (folded) on a table, linoleum floor, all kinds of surfaces but it keeps coming up with that error message so long as the arms are folded when I turn the drone on...

Are we supposed to start the drone unfolded, then fold it when we're ready to do IMU calibration?

I also got this warning when trying to calibrate the IMU for the first time. As soon as I power off the drone and UNFOLD the arms and reboot, the "magnetic interference/compass error" message goes away on my controller. I have put the drone (folded) on a table, linoleum floor, all kinds of surfaces but it keeps coming up with that error message so long as the arms are folded when I turn the drone on...

Are we supposed to start the drone unfolded, then fold it when we're ready to do IMU calibration?
The magnetic interference is from the motor in close proximity to the rear compass. This is normal. Just ignore it.

I do my IMU Calibration indoors and don't get the Mag Interference error.

I start up the controller, then the Mavic Pro and let it do its thing. When the gimbal has calibrated I fold it up and click on Calibrate the IMU and everything is fine.

Bud

i find if i have the controller to close to the mavic or Mavic to my PC i get the magnetic interference thing comes up i use a long lead that keeps the drone well away from PC as i use DJI assistant, if using the app leave the RC/phone away from the AC and just turn it when told to.

Interesting. I guess I've just been lucky with it. It's amazing the different issues that come up for different people isn't it. It seems like there's a problem for everyone's different moods.

It's a wonder we can get these finicky machines to even lift off the ground sometimes.

Bud

i find if i have the controller to close to the mavic or Mavic to my PC i get the magnetic interference thing comes up i use a long lead that keeps the drone well away from PC as i use DJI assistant, if using the app leave the RC/phone away from the AC and just turn it when told to.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun