DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor flight modes.

EspenT

Reactions
I've burned trough a couple of batteries indoors just to practice in atti mode. So far no damage:)
Can anyone please in depth tell me about how atti mode works?
I realize that without GPS the Mavic doesn't know it's exact horizontal position. There is no reason why it should not know it's altitude. I was hovering about 1-1.3m above the floor and the drone needed constant height adjustment to stand stationary. After a while the remote showed altitude 13m.
I understand that some people prefer to use atti mode to get smoother videos on the phantom as the drone would slide instead of brake whenever you let off the stick. Doesn't the constant altitude adjustment make it do to use that mode?
And why is there no opti mode available without GPS? It doesn't need its exact position to use accelerometers to determine if it is moving and what direction it's moving. I also noticed that if you enter tripod mode, it actually acts kind of in opti mode with smaller movements. And when you exited tripod mode, it does go to opti mode, even with 0 satellites. It then handles like in opti mode even without satélites for a short period, then goes back to atti mode.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: younumpty
Very simply put and crudely the modes are like this:
Attitude mode uses the inbuilt gyroscope and altimeter to give controlled flight without GPS lock so it's stable but is blown about by the wind laterally.
Position Optical mode uses the positioning cameras and ultrasonics under the craft with barometer and gyroscope. Good on the Mavic to roughly 30 feet if you believe DJI. Reality is more like 10-15 feet on a good day.
Position attitude is the two above.

GPS uses the information above when optical available and the satellites to tell the craft where it is along with the compass.

The craft will lock onto satellites and give itself the most stable configuration of all the above when it can.
Optical GPS is both Optical and GPS...
Can't make it easier than that, I won't bore you with the details but for beginners purposes that's all you need.

Edit Tripod is a dumbed down rate at the sticks in GPS mode.

Fly safe... :)

Very simply put and crudely the modes are like this:
Attitude mode uses the inbuilt gyroscope and altimeter to give controlled flight without GPS lock so it's stable but is blown about by the wind laterally.
Position Optical mode uses the positioning cameras and ultrasonics under the craft with barometer and gyroscope. Good on the Mavic to roughly 30 feet if you believe DJI. Reality is more like 10-15 feet on a good day.
Position attitude is the two above.

GPS uses the information above when optical available and the satellites to tell the craft where it is along with the compass.

The craft will lock onto satellites and give itself the most stable configuration of all the above when it can.
Optical GPS is both Optical and GPS...
Can't make it easier than that, I won't bore you with the details but for beginners purposes that's all you need.

Edit Tripod is a dumbed down rate at the sticks in GPS mode.

If I understand you correctly and combines it with my experience I get this.

ATTI mode = Uses gyroscope/accelerometer to keep the drone level, does not care about drift. Only barometric altitude?

Opti mode = Uses gyroscope/accelerometer/positioning cameras to keep drone level and also hovering without drifting. Uses ultrasonic and barometer for altitude.

Tripod mode = Opti mode with reduced rate at the sticks.

If you are indoor
Nnot able to select Opti mode, even that it should work. Tripod mode still uses Opti mode

If you are outdoor
Opti mode will also use GPS to help holding it´s position. Atti mode not available.

I´m new to DJI products and "modern" drones. But I did build my own drone from scratch about 10 year ago. Outside with GPS and gyros it was almost as stable as the Mavic seems to be inside in atti mode. Unfortunately I do not have photo/ video of it :(
More recently I built this.
(just to prove I'm not a complete noob when it comes to electronics and gyros etc..)

ATTI mode = Uses gyroscope/accelerometer to keep the drone level, does not care about drift. Only barometric altitude?

Opti mode = Uses gyroscope/accelerometer/positioning cameras to keep drone level and also hovering without drifting. Uses ultrasonic and barometer for altitude.

If you are indoor
Nnot able to select Opti mode, even that it should work. Tripod mode still uses Opti mode

If you are outdoor
Opti mode will also use GPS to help holding it´s position. Atti mode not available.

I´m new to DJI products and "modern" drones. But I did build my own drone from scratch about 10 year ago. Outside with GPS and gyros it was almost as stable as the Mavic seems to be inside in atti mode. Unfortunately I do not have photo/ video of it :(
(just to prove I'm not a complete noob when it comes to electronics and gyros etc..)

Opti mode will work inside and is where I use that mode the most obviously because if I am outside I get a gps lock. BUT... opti mode needs good lighting to work. You may think you have enough light but you probably don't so then it will go all the way down to atti mode. I found this out as well when mine wouldn't go into opti mode either and I thought something was messed up. I then used it at another location indoors and it went to opti right away. Got home and put in brighter bulbs and everything works fine after that. Shadows are also evil as you will be in opti mode letting it do its thing and then fly into a shadow and it will enter atti when you are maybe not paying 100% attention and start drifting on you. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Dmbrody and EspenT

If you are indoor

If you are outdoor

Kind of:
Tripod is GPS with rates way down.
In absence of GPS it should go to atti mode and use visual positioning if enabled with same slow rates at the sticks.

Hope that makes sense ...

Reactions: EspenT
Opti mode will work inside and is where I use that mode the most obviously because if I am outside I get a gps lock. BUT... opti mode needs good lighting to work. You may think you have enough light but you probably don't so then it will go all the way down to atti mode. I found this out as well when mine wouldn't go into opti mode either and I thought something was messed up. I then used it at another location indoors and it went to opti right away. Got home and put in brighter bulbs and everything works fine after that. Shadows are also evil as you will be in opti mode letting it do its thing and then fly into a shadow and it will enter atti when you are maybe not paying 100% attention and start drifting on you. Just my 2 cents.

When outside at night in pitch black,the drone brakes when you center the stick. Why does it need good lighting to do the same inside? It's not like the GPS is able to tell the drone if it drifts a few inches or even a few feet.

When outside at night in pitch black,the drone brakes when you center the stick. Why does it need good lighting to do the same inside? It's not like the GPS is able to tell the drone if it drifts a few inches or even a few feet.

Well if you are hooked up to as many satellites as it does( I have never had less than 19) then I would think it would matter and the GPS would intact be more accurate than you think. It may not know your exact position relative to you exactly but it would know that it is moving from the position it has as net given moment. The sensors only work within a certain distance of the ground as well. Not sure of that exact number at the moment though.

Well if you are hooked up to as many satellites as it does( I have never had less than 19) then I would think it would matter and the GPS would intact be more accurate than you think. It may not know your exact position relative to you exactly but it would know that it is moving from the position it has as net given moment. The sensors only work within a certain distance of the ground as well. Not sure of that exact number at the moment though.

Inside it uses its visual and ultrasonic sensors to fly. Nothing to do with GPS. Try flying in a large very tall space or with VPS off and it will be in pure atti mode and no brakes at all.
The Mavic represents the evolution started by the P3 advanced and professional series brought to the pinnacle of perfection.
Forward vision is obviously not included in its ability to stop with regards to its ground position. Visual positioning for example on a white floor is useless as it will not be able to detect patterns as it flies overhead. Likewise with dark spaces minus GPS. Ultrasonics are for height by the way.

Edit to say vision positioning on the Mavic is an unreal 30 feet from the deck max with good contrasts underneath.

Reactions: EspenT
Inside it uses its visual and ultrasonic sensors to fly. Nothing to do with GPS. Try flying in a large very tall space or with VPS off and it will be in pure atti mode and no brakes at all.
The Mavic represents the evolution started by the P3 advanced and professional series brought to the pinnacle of perfection.
Forward vision is obviously not included in its ability to stop with regards to its ground position. Visual positioning for example on a white floor is useless as it will not be able to detect patterns as it flies overhead. Likewise with dark spaces minus GPS. Ultrasonics are for height by the way.

Edit to say vision positioning on the Mavic is an unreal 30 feet from the deck max with good contrasts underneath.

Sounds about right, although my reply was nothing to do with flying inside and everything to do with gps signals outside, so not sure why it was a reply to my comment but either way all good info though. :)

Sounds about right, although my reply was nothing to do with flying inside and everything to do with gps signals outside, so not sure why it was a reply to my comment but either way all good info though. :)

Was just coz someone mentioned gps indoors etc. Probably me reading it backwards as usual. Just so new pilots don't think satellites have much to do with indoor flights. However if you get gps lock indoors good stuff. Just wish I could choose my flight modes like the P3. Sometimes I just don't want gps I want to fly on my own skills. I'm more of a pilot and not a photographer by any means..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser