DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor height issue

owlhouse

Reactions
I am an experience rc heli and quad copter pilot and am doing a shoot where I need to get closer to a ceiling in a warehouse but the mavic pro won't let me. I turned off obstacle avoidance thinking that would do the trick but no. I am still like 20 feet or more from the ceiling. I have been googling and can't find a solutiion? Does anyone have a tip or trick?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I am an experience rc heli and quad copter pilot and am doing a shoot where I need to get closer to a ceiling in a warehouse but the mavic pro won't let me. I turned off obstacle avoidance thinking that would do the trick but no. I am still like 20 feet or more from the ceiling. I have been googling and can't find a solutiion? Does anyone have a tip or trick?

The Mavic has to be sensing something. Are you sure the sensors are off?

Thanks for the reply!!!

I did have both of those listed in the above video turned off (forward and bottom sensors). I was able to get extra close to the object I was filming, but could only go so high... about 20 feet. The ceiling cross beams (4" in width and very far apart) were still another 15 feet or so above the drone and the pitched roof at least another 15 - 20 feet above those beams?

Is there a top sensor that can be turned off, or any other thoughts. The shoot is planed for next week... glad I asked to do a test run.

Thanks for the reply!!!

I did have both of those listed in the above video turned off (forward and bottom sensors). I was able to get extra close to the object I was filming, but could only go so high... about 20 feet. The ceiling cross beams (4" in width and very far apart) were still another 15 feet or so above the drone and the pitched roof at least another 15 - 20 feet above those beams?

Is there a top sensor that can be turned off, or any other thoughts. The shoot is planed for next week... glad I asked to do a test run.

Lets be logical. If the sensors are off then nothing should prevent you from hitting the ceiling. I'd hover my Mavic & put my arm in the front & see if it senses the movement. If it's sensing objects even though you've turned off your sensors then I imagine you'll have to reinstall the software.

I'm going strictly off of memory, but I think there is a height limit when GPS mode is not available (from launch). IIRC, the logic is if someone tried to fly high in a NFZ, by putting foil over the top of the unit (to block GPS) they could enter restricted airspace. I'm curious if you power it up outside, let it get full GPS (so it knows your location) and then bring it inside, if that doesn't somehow release that altitude limit.

Are you in restricted airspace? Obviously if you are, it doesn't apply to you, as you're inside, however, that may be placing a height restriction on your flight. As stated earlier in the thread, there's also a restriction on height when you're not flying in GPS mode. This should be 16ft when the downward sensors are on and 98ft when they are off

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I had another shoot indoors today and believe it is the height restriction for not having GPS.

I will try powering up outside and then bring it inside. There is a large two story garage door about 100 yards to one side, so I will also try keeping that open.

If powering it up outside and the garage door does not work, does anyone know any way to override it?

Is it measuring the height from the ground surface or from the controller? Perhaps if from the controller, I could increase my height on a scissor lift. I only need another 10. feet of height for this job's opening shot.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I can't speak to ways to circumvent the height limit. But it is probably using the sonar sensors on the bottom of the MP to keep track of the distance. What is the ultimate indoor height you're trying to reach? Have you considered starting a chat session with DJI to see if they have any suggestions on how to get those additional 10 feet?

Good chance nothing will come of it, but if it does, please post back here for the benefit of others... Good luck!

I can't speak to ways to circumvent the height limit. But it is probably using the sonar sensors on the bottom of the MP to keep track of the distance. What is the ultimate indoor height you're trying to reach? Have you considered starting a chat session with DJI to see if they have any suggestions on how to get those additional 10 feet?

Its my understanding the Mavic uses sonar for the first 2 meters & after that the barometer. . If you could turn on the drone from an elevated height while on a platform then it should work.

I just tried it yesterday and 5m(15feet) was the maximum height indoors.. I did not try to turn off any sensors etc.

If you turn off the downward sensors you should be able to fly to 98ft as per the manual (I don't have a large enough indoor structure to try it in :-/)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54