DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance

Jerry

Reactions
Any recommendations for insurance to cover loss / flyaway and public liability in the UK ? Private use not commercial . Thx

There have been so many threads answering this point. Need to search. The short answer is yes!

Thx . I was also hoping for user experience after claiming . Home ins wont cover . Photo guard won't cover flyaway or liability but will cover damage or theft . Would like one stop loss and liability from a insurer that pays out ...

Thx . I was also hoping for user experience after claiming . Home ins wont cover . Photo guard won't cover flyaway or liability but will cover damage or theft . Would like one stop loss and liability from a insurer that pays out ...

Jerry, a search will show that Wellsi recently had his pay for his lost drone.

Basically check your home insurance for possessions away from home. Mine is with Aviva - £2,000 of cover for any unspecified value item and £2m liability for any property or persons injured by my crash!

Think Wellsi's was very similar through LV

Thx folks .. home ins is for £5k item max away from home unspecified .. specifically excludes drones .. cheers rude boy I'll chk them out

Update . Changed insurance to Aviva today . £2m personal/public liability . Drone cover up to £2k unspecified loss damage theft . Saved £100 on current insurance . Extra discount for online application inc . Please note, if you do an application online up to where you pay, but don't pay, you get a quote number, then call Aviva and get personal service, get your questions answered and get the online discount if you give the internet quote number

Reactions: gavcuk
Hi,

Just want to chuck my thoughts in here. I'm a new drone owner but have worked in insurance for 15 years. From a risk perspective, drones have the possibility to be both expensive to replace and at increased risk of needing replacing due to the very nature of what they do, so some insurers are likely to be cautious when it comes to agreeing to cover them.

Even if they do cover them within unspecified or specified personal possessions, there may be a clause in the wording that excludes cover whilst they are in use. Some may also exclude them completely as they can be classed as mechanically propelled vehicles.

Now I'm not saying that anyone should worry, I just wouldn't want anyone to think that they are covered when they may not be. My advice would be to check with your providers (i know people are already doing this anyway) and if they say you are covered, double check that it includes loss or damage whilst being used (if that's the cover you want of course) and also ask them to confirm in writing that you are covered, or at least point out the relevant section in their respective policy wording.

Like I say, not trying to worry anyone or teach granny to suck eggs etc, but if you're like me, you'll want to make sure you don't take any chances when trying to protect your drone!

Ironically, I'm yet to actually speak to my insurer about my Mavic! The words 'double standards' and 'hypocrite' spring to mind!!

Anyway, great forum and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the people here

Reactions: Jamie.B
If they are saying it also includes liability then it seems a fair assumption it is covered in use.

Sometimes that can be the confusion. Liability to third parties and material damage are two completely different sections of cover and operate independently of each other. Just because the drone is covered if it damages someone else or their property, doesn't mean it's covered for its own damage. Like I say, not trying to tell people they're not covered or to scare anyone, I'm just saying it's best not to assume you're covered for everything and ask your provider specific questions surrounding the 'what if' type scenarios.

PhotoGuard.png I'm looking at the Photoguard insurance policy for my new Mavic Pro and am a little confused at the so-called 'Mechanical Breakdown' cover, upon inspecting the small print, am I correct in saying that all drones will not be covered by this additional cover ?

I know this is just like extending the warranty on a brand new car but can someone confirm that I'm reading this right ?

Cheers Guys

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov