DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Invisible nVidia Shield-Controller Mount

flyNfrank

Reactions
flyNfrank's Invisible nVidia Shield - Remote Controller Mount

After a long 3 1/2 month shipping delay I'm finally starting to get more involved in the Mavic. This time around I figured I would just let the images below speak for themselves. There is no hidden agenda or smoke & mirrors with in the images. I'll share that it took around 20 minutes, and only a minor tweak. Nothing bent or lengthened, just basic modding.

I read post in threads and watched video on youtube, even saw some getting you to think you need to spend $65 on a top notch mount in order to use your nVidia K1 Shield. At this point all you need is one of these soon to be popular invisible r/c mounts and you'll be good to go.

20170115_151507.jpg

20170115_145331.jpg

20170115_150332.jpg

20170115_145831.jpg

Reactions: Slantnose79
View attachment 4279[/QUOTE]
flyNfrank's Invisible nVidia Shield - Remote Controller Mount

After a long 3 1/2 month shipping delay I'm finally starting to get more involved in the Mavic. This time around I figured I would just let the images below speak for themselves. There is no hidden agenda or smoke & mirrors with in the images. I'll share that it took around 20 minutes, and only a minor tweak. Nothing bent or lengthened, just basic modding.

I read post in threads and watched video on youtube, even saw some getting you to think you need to spend $65 on a top notch mount in order to use your nVidia K1 Shield. At this point all you need is one of these soon to be popular invisible r/c mounts and you'll be good to go.

View attachment 4275

View attachment 4276

View attachment 4278

View attachment 4279
Where do you find these invisible r/c mounts?

He's pulling the lower rubber claw grip out of the handles on the controller. You have to unscrew the base of each handle, but nothing is damaged.

He's pulling the lower rubber claw grip out of the handles on the controller. You have to unscrew the base of each handle, but nothing is damaged.

That is incorrect. Nothing was added, removed, or bent. Also no screws were removed at any point.

I'm using the usb connection under the controller option.

Btw, in order to activate and deactivate Sport Mode, I trimmed off a small notch from the upper tip of the right handle. However, I believe there was similar issue when using the ios ipad mini 2. They could have did a little better job at locating the Sport Mode Switch.

Last edited:
how much extra do the arms extend once the case is notched?
possible to get and ipad air in there now? I quick google tells me a K1 is 221mm wide and an ipad air is 240mm

very innovative for sure....how is the ergonomics...meaning how natural is you hand position when trying to manipulate the sticks? It looks like your palms are pretty far out there....

Setup is not comfortable to use for me. The ipad mini is a much better fit though I sold mine for a load of money (I only use ipad mini 4 lte as an expensive display) to get the shield. 3d printed some adapters (similar to s clips but with a taller rise so I can hold onto most of the grip underneath). Ordered a cheap 10 dollar mount from china so I can get a tilt on the display for better viewing but the adapters will do for now.

Finally getting some responses leaning towards the how to side of the mod.

The mod basically consist of notching the controller housing where the bars for the handles meet it. I did mine by using a one sided razor blade. While pressing down rock the blade back & forth some and it will cut. I then used a small screwdriver to lift up the small tab create from the razorblade cut. Rather then using the razorblade to cut the tab free, I used a small pair of wire cutters. I suppose using finger nail clippers would be an option as well. When the R/C (remote/controller) is mounted, I notice the bars are not quite level. Each bars is slightly angled. I have it notched enough for them to become level, but there must be something internal limiting them from going any further. Regardless, the R/C rest against the NVidia tablet.

At 1st it felt a little odd having the NVidia mount since the handles are now flared out further. But after moving my hands up so that the end of the handle is more near the heal of my hand, it seems ok.

Keep in mind...this is just option for being able to use you android NVidia tablet, and it is free.

Reactions: Derodeo
how much extra do the arms extend once the case is notched?
possible to get and ipad air in there now? I quick google tells me a K1 is 221mm wide and an ipad air is 240mm
I think the width of a Shield is about the maximum you will get in there. Cant imagine fitting an Ipad Air in there

I think the width of a Shield is about the maximum you will get in there. Cant imagine fitting an Ipad Air in there

Which would also explain why ipad air is not in the thread title.

So you tested all tablets on the market and only put the ones that work in the title? Sorry, didn't know that.
oh come on, sarcasms won't help at the moment
be happy about information flyNfrank provided
or make yourself RC modification that could use iPad Air and then we will admire you too

Reactions: Slantnose79
oh come on, sarcasms won't help at the moment
be happy about information flyNfrank provided
or make yourself RC modification that could use iPad Air and then we will admire you too
Have you even read the thread? I m happily using my Shield with this mod. I only answered MrFrostys question regarding the Ipad.

Sent from my Z1 Compact using MavicPilots mobile app

Have you even read the thread? I m happily using my Shield with this mod. I only answered MrFrostys question regarding the Ipad.

Sent from my Z1 Compact using MavicPilots mobile app

thanks Alabast, sorry you got flack for merely responding. I think the mod is neat idea and has got me thinking of other ways to mount a large-ish tablet without using some of the plastic/metal mounts on the market, after all this is meant to be a small and portable drone you can quickly deploy.

I'm thinking perhaps small arm extenders which slot into the existing arms, finding a way to lengthen those flat arm brackets or just chopping down the plastic arm "ears" to allow them to open further (assuming I can buy replacements at a reasonable cost later)

or just buy an ipad mini / K1 :)

So you tested all tablets on the market and only put the ones that work in the title? Sorry, didn't know that.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using MavicPilots mobile app

Not sure how. but things tend to get twisted so easily. This thread is solely meant to be directed at the nVidia Shield K1 tablet. The mod could be used for other tablets, but only as long as they are the same width or shorter then the nVidia.

Some may try this mod and stick with it. Where others may have already used one of the other options and not like the feel of this mount setup.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka