DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iOS 11 public beta and DJI Go not a good mix

Cyberpower678

Reactions
So I am an iOS 11 beta tester, and on any device that is a predecessor to the iPhone 7/Plus, it lags terribly. The Go app crashes a couple of times from lack of resources. If anyone has been considering downloading iOS 11, and uses that same device to fly with, I would wait until the lag issues are addressed. My phone struggles just flip through the home screen, and I'm on an iPhone 6s Plus. It also drains your battery very quickly.

I'm running two iPad Mini 4s - one with Developer Beta 11 ver. 2 and the other with Developer Beta 10.3.3 Beta 5 - I haven't seen any problems with either my Mavic Pro or Spark.

Not looking to start an argument / just reporting what I've seen so far.

PERSONAL OPINION:

I would NOT recommend installing iOS 11 Public Beta to a non-developmental system. It is not ready for prime time!

It is phone upgrades like these I always feared; for they will force us to upgrade the DJI GO 4 app; that will then pull a new Mavic firmware and so on :( I mean, how long are we supposed/allowed to postpone the iOS upgrade? And how long will this postponing be viable, until other apps will start to crash and request the iOS11?

Reactions: jeronesi2k2002
Relax. It's still a beta. Betas always have problems, but if you want stability, just don't enroll in the beta upgrades.

That's not good. They do not keep up with current setups. And those on dji beta team don't use such software when beta testing a/c line up.

I am a developer. The second beta version of iOS 11 is a lot better. But it is still a beta.

Reactions: digdat0
I’m on iOS 11 Beta 2 (iPhone 7) and the latest version of DJI Go 4. When I launch the go app it shows as disconnected...
It was fine for me on Beta 1

Running iOS11 beta 1 and 2 on iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro 10.5”
NO ISSUES

It is never a good idea to deploy a Beta version on a device that you can't live without! I have a dedicated iPad 2 mini - THAT one does not get iOS 11 until it is confirmed that it works. I have the Beta 2 on my other devices

It is never a good idea to deploy a Beta version on a device that you can't live without! I have a dedicated iPad 2 mini - THAT one does not get iOS 11 until it is confirmed that it works. I have the Beta 2 on my other devices
I like living on edge, besides, iOS operating systems can be rolled back to the non-beta, if you know how to do it.

I installed the beta right after the WWDC on 5 June 2017. Found a bunch of bugs, tried to submit them, but the Feedback app was broken (so another bug). Anyway, I flew the Mavic a bunch of times with zero issues. Felt exactly like iOS 10.3.2. I am on iPhone 6S Plus 128GB.

After two weeks, I rolled it back to iOS 10.3.2. Not because I was having any issues, but because I wanted upgrade the FW on the Mavic, and I didn't want to do it on the beta. I know a lot of people who upgraded their FW to .0900 while on iOS 11 beta, but I didn't have the confidence to do so. Firmware is way more fragile than typical software.

IMHO, this is the real issue with beta products. A lot of varying experiences.

I installed the beta right after the WWDC on 5 June 2017. Found a bunch of bugs, tried to submit them, but the Feedback app was broken (so another bug). Anyway, I flew the Mavic a bunch of times with zero issues. Felt exactly like iOS 10.3.2. I am on iPhone 6S Plus 128GB.

After two weeks, I rolled it back to iOS 10.3.2. Not because I was having any issues, but because I wanted upgrade the FW on the Mavic, and I didn't want to do it on the beta. I know a lot of people who upgraded their FW to .0900 while on iOS 11 beta, but I didn't have the confidence to do so. Firmware is way more fragile than typical software.

IMHO, this is the real issue with beta products. A lot of varying experiences.

Thus - “Beta”

So I have checked connection using my iPad (also on iOS 11 Beta 2) and it works perfectly...the fun of the Beta run eh!

Well the beta on my device is about as stable as DJI CS is good. It completely disabled my Apple Watch, forcing me to wipe and re-pair everything. Bluetooth is totally bugged as well. Getting anything to connect is a total pain. My bluetooth headphones and my phone pair, but the audio isn't transmitted to the headphones. As an added bonus, the option to pick which output to play on disappears, when the headphones pair. My home screen lags like crazy, and SIRI TRIED TO DIAL 911 WHEN I ASKED IT TO DIAL A TOLL FREE NUMBER!!! I've been beta testing since iOS 7 was announced, and this is hands down the worst beta I've ever installed.

No major bugs with my iPad Air2 BUT I only use it for the mavic so I'm not testing a bunch of other functions. The native screen record works great which is the only real reason that I did the beta run this time around.

It is phone upgrades like these I always feared; for they will force us to upgrade the DJI GO 4 app; that will then pull a new Mavic firmware and so on :( I mean, how long are we supposed/allowed to postpone the iOS upgrade? And how long will this postponing be viable, until other apps will start to crash and request the iOS11?

I bought a 16GB wifi only Mini4 for exclusive Mavic use. I have a few apps on there just in case, but mainly Go and Litchi. It all works and if I never let it connect to the Internet it should stay good until the hardware fails. My UAV zone checking apps are on my iPhone and they can be upgraded as needed. This separation has been good so far. Could have saved a few bucks with a Mini2, but the video isn't as nice.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
I updated to the ios11 beta on my iPad Air 2 but after two crashes just playing with new features I fired up the old work iPad Air 2 and removed all bloatware and will keep it reserved just for the Mavic now.

(I had one for daily work use and one for software testing - they went out of business and owe us all heaps of money that we will never see so felt no guilt in keeping the two iPad Air 2’s and my two work laptops and phone... mind you 6 weeks later and the mobile accounts are all still active!)

I have an iPhone 7 128GB that I will be upgrading to iOS11 and which runs the latest version of DJI Go4. I haven't had it connect to the MAvic though.

In addition, my main flying device is an iPad mini4 128GB, on which DJI4 runs on an older version (not sure exactly which one).

Now here's my question; if I hoop up the iPhone with the latest version of everything to the Mavic, will I be able to connect my iPad with the older versions later, or will connecting with the latetst versions force upgrading of the batteries, the Mavic, etc?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54